Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Pumpkin Pal

Oct 17, 2014
Fans continuing to forget we don’t sign free agents. Letting Brock go for nothing is a very stupid move.

Yeah, this. Saying that we can let brock go and just throw a bunch of money at panarin or Duchene and expect it to work doesn't take into account the history of the islanders. We don't land the big fish. Or even the second biggest fish.

The brock of this year is absolutely worth keeping and the isles need to do everything they can to do so. Lee too. Eberle is the kind of guy who you hope can be replaced by a guy on an ELC, but if they're not willing to give ho sang a chance I'm not sure who steps in to that slot next year. The isles might be able to land a second rate guy like dzingel, but you need to be careful with going crazy when giving free agent rates to a guy like him coming off a career year.

Reactions: Olliemets

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
i'm on the fence, about re-signing him. he's a pretty good middle six'r, and if he will accept middle six money and a decent term, i say we keep him. i think Trotz could squeeeeze a bit more out of him.

we could sign Flip for 1 more year and i'd be happy with that, and him and Nelson rotating.

Bailey can do C, as well as Beau and Lee (C in college).

i think there's a better chance we lose Eberle than Nelson. i wouldn't mind seeing Simmonds or even Pavelski patrolling RW for a few years, until Whally is ready.

Islanders4Cups

May 4, 2002
Boston, MA USA
The current contract situation here is why I think the Isles will have a challenging off season and may even take a step back next season.

There is always going to be an organization that will offer more, and LL will have to decide if he wants to be hamstrung by a long term contract on a guy who will not make everyone around him better as a second line center, or continue building for the future. I see the latter. Nelson will be gone unless he accepts a 4 year contact (or less) with a nice raise but not astronomical.

If someone blows Nelson out of the water as I suspect, he will be gone and I wish him luck.

Maybe a I am wrong, but LL should be able to pick up a more dynamic second line center in the next 1-3 years that improves the team, the powerplay, faceoffs, etc. than Brock Nelson. And no, that is not Casey Cizekas. He needs to stay right where he is.

Last edited:

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
He thoroughly impressed me last night. Since when does he slash a goalie post-whistle and get into a scrum like that?

Different player this season.

That's pretty routine for him. He's a low-key agitator that never actually fights. He gives little jabs and slashes after the play with regularity honestly. That one was just one of the more obvious ones.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Shoutout to Brock for stepping up round one. It wasn't a 7 game series but he had a habit of scoring game one and then that was it. 3 goals in 4 games, excellent series for him.

Reactions: PWJunior

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY
The current contract situation here is why I think the Isles will have a challenging off season and may even take a step back next season.

There is always going to be an organization that will offer more, and LL will have to decide if he wants to be hamstrung by a long term contract on a guy who will not make everyone around him better as a second line center, or continue building for the future. I see the latter. Nelson will be gone unless he accepts a 4 year contact (or less) with a nice raise but not astronomical.

If someone blows Nelson out of the water as I suspect, he will be gone and I wish him luck.

Maybe a I am wrong, but LL should be able to pick up a more dynamic second line center in the next 1-3 years that improves the team, the powerplay, faceoffs, etc. than Brock Nelson. And no, that is not Casey Cizekas. He needs to stay right where he is.

I don't know if there are many more dynamic 2C's that do what this guy does and he has not hit his ceiling by any means... I think he will stay here, he likes playing with Trotz.... But his asking price has gone way up, he may be worth more than Lee now

Quickdraw2828

Aug 2, 2011
the way he has been playing, i think he gets 7x7...

oh man,we have a ton of developing players who will be getting decent contracts. I don't know if I want to give Nelson that much. I think that will be Lee's contract.

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
Non earth shaking bump.
Just noticed Brock only has missed 2 games total the last 5 seasons. We will miss the stability of a guy who laces em up every night. Keeps the Giontas of the world where they belong .

LGI

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
I think Nelson may be worth more than Lee based off this season, I would keep both as they are the identity of the team. May have to let Eberle and Filp go
The fact that they are the identity of this team is essentially the problem.

Uncle Duke

Heads up, fellas!
May 14, 2018
Sarasota, FL
The fact that they are the identity of this team is essentially the problem.
I don't necessarily agree with your comment or your previous comment but in a way I do. This is the crux of the Isles identity 'crisis'. Brock Nelson on LI is a mid-western automaton who rarely smiles and gets you 20 goals and 45 pts every year (though historically not when you need him to). On another team he would be one of the guys but not one of "the" guys. But here, he is one of 'the' guys. Not ideal. Even when JT was getting us 30+ and 80 every year, he was a robot, not a dynamic, Messier-like personality who could inspire a team which is why I never liked him as capt. Our entire roster, with the exception of Barzal, are plain vanilla, good, hard working guys. But we need something and someone who can not just play competently, but inspire and excite. To be honest, right now, that guy is Lehner (if we can keep him). But we really need it to be a skater.

Let's face it, if we didn't love this team so much, they would be boring.

Last edited:

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
I don't necessarily agree with your comment or your previous comment but in a way I do. This is the crux of the Isles identity 'crisis'. Brock Nelson on LI is a mid-western automaton who rarely smiles and gets you 20 goals and 45 pts every year (though historically not when you need him to). On another team he would be one of the guys but not one of "the" guys. But here, he is one of 'the' guys. Not ideal. Even when JT was getting us 30+ and 80 every year, he was a robot, not a dynamic, Messier-like personality who could inspire a team which is why I never liked him as capt. Our entire roster, with the exception of Barzal, are plain vanilla, good, hard working guys. But we need something and someone who can not just play competently, but inspire and excite. To be honest, right now, that guy is Lehner (if we can keep him). But we really need it to be a skater.

Let's face it, if we didn't love this team so much, they would be boring.

Well, one could argue Lee is the exception with Barzal. Lee plays with passion and grit, and he's pretty candid. Brock's gonna get paid somewhere else, I'm fine with that. I'm also fine taking a step back and letting all those guys walk if LL deems that he wants to change the identity.

Newsworthy

Jan 28, 2018
USA
sadly , a 5.75 guy seems to be a 6.75 one since the cap went up 25 cents

That is why it's time to let other teams overpay for our free agents. It maybe better to offersheet a Kapanen at 4.5 per or Andreas Jonnsson than re-sign Lee or Nelson at 6 plus. I wonder how much Marcus Johansson will cost us now?
This team needs a true re-build if they want to reach the pinnacle. Last year did us almost as much harm as good.
Nelson, Lee, and even Eberle will now be lost for zero assets and the funny part is it's probably the right move not to re-sign any of them.
If I had my choice I'd still choose Lee but it's close because Nelson had the better year and plays the more important position. Our talent core is sorely lacking and giving out a Ladd type contract to Nelson or Lee gives me indigestion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad