Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

Taswell

Oct 4, 2017
I'm... pretty damn happy with that AAV. If Barry can continue to get what he got out of him this year, then it'll be a good deal.

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
I'll take it. Would have been nice to get an upgrade at 2C but that means either 1. getting Duchene or 2. making a trade, both of which are really tough to pull off. Of course we can still add Duchene (or someone else) and be really stacked down the middle but yeah chances of that happening are lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

Olliemets

Mar 1, 2018
Croton on Hudson, NY
I'm relieved. If everyone leaves we have too many holes to fill. The idea that we are getting Duschene, Panarin is dreaming. Would love it but look at history. Given our lack of depth at Center, I'm glad he stayed. Now the big if: Let's hope we get the guy Trots turned into a solid 2-way player and not inconsistent Brock

bioman22

Jun 29, 2009
And it opens up room for Panarin.

I'll take it. Would have been nice to get an upgrade at 2C but that means either 1. getting Duchene or 2. making a trade, both of which are really tough to pull off. Of course we can still add Duchene (or someone else) and be really stacked down the middle but yeah chances of that happening are lowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
It's a lot but that's what it costs. Relieved to have at least 1 FA back in the fold... Guess lee gets 7x7?

crasherino

May 9, 2013
(will put this in the Brock thread)
That's not so outlandish. We probably could have locked him up for 5 x 5.75 earlier this year. So he basically got another year. I'm ok with that.

Locking in Brock may not be the most ideal move, but based on where this team is, what's out there and his versatility, its the move we needed to make.

Good job Lou. This move gives us a lot more flexibility going into Free Agency.

Metnut

Jan 19, 2013
I really like this deal because there's a lot more winger options in FA than Center. Nelson has been solid for us, and looked to have improved under Trotz last year. Reasonable term and AAV for a 27 year old. Nice to have him locked up before other teams can start talking to him.

IMO, if Lee won't take a team friendly deal, we should roll the dice in see what we can do in free agency/trade. We have to look for players that will fit in here over the next 5 years, not reward players for what they've done the previous 3 years.

Reactions: Olliemets

crasherino

May 9, 2013
It's a lot but that's what it costs. Relieved to have at least 1 FA back in the fold... Guess lee gets 7x7?
Yeah - there's no way Lee's AAV can be lower than Brock's. But maybe its somewhere in the 6 years/$43m range. I'm cool with that too. Give Lehner $4.75m AAV over 4-5 years, and I'm as happy as a puppy with two peters.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
I’ve never been a big Nelson guy but we obviously had no choice but to bring him back. I had him pegged at $6.5 AAV so getting him for $500k is a bit of a bargain. As long as he puts up 25 goals and 50 points, it’ll be a fine deal.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Given our lack of center this is probably the safe move so I can't complain. If by any small chance we can sign Duchene(which I put at about 1%) then I wouldn't resign Lee and maybe Move Nelson to LW

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad