Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Another player I’ll fans wanted jettisoned…
That’s right, and I stand behind that.

Better than being the perpetual “Dollar and a Dream” bubble team just to put asses in seats, which won’t last long anyway.

Sometimes you have to play the long game.

Throttle

Sep 22, 2020
That’s right, and I stand behind that.

Better than being the perpetual “Dollar and a Dream” bubble team just to put asses in seats, which won’t last long anyway.

Sometimes you have to play the long game.
I think he works in this era of hockey. The Isles are a mixed bag of tricks and most likely going to be 3-4 years of pain to fix ALL of it. The time clock doesn’t seem to be starting for another 3-5 years though.

The Isles just can’t backfill with quality talent like a lot of other teams can. And this market has repeatedly shown they will not support a rebuilding team. For Malkin and Ledecky, best to maximize the dollar now.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I think he works in this era of hockey. The Isles are a mixed bag of tricks and most likely going to be 3-4 years of pain to fix ALL of it. The time clock doesn’t seem to be starting for another 3-5 years though.

The Isles just can’t backfill with quality talent like a lot of other teams can. And this market has repeatedly shown they will not support a rebuilding team. For Malkin and Ledecky, best to maximize the dollar now.
In Lou Lamoriello they trust!

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Nelson is our best forward. He does work just fine in today’s game. Nelson is also the forward who can get the best return in a trade.

Face it. This team that was built to compete now is not constructed well enough to be considered a serious threat in the playoffs and is not looking at down the road. We’re caught in the middle. This will keep us riding the mediocrity merry-go-round for the next few years, Sorokin and the D or not. And that’s because of our forwards, with relief for them 2 years away at a minimum.

While I agree with you that our fans will not buy season ticket during a rebuild, I believe they won’t buy STs for a team that can’t get past the 1st or 2nd round. That’s the kind of team I think we have. Good enough to struggle their way in as a wild card, and get knocked out in the 1st round by Boston, Carolina, or New Jersey. Good luck selling season tickets if that happens.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Nelson is our best forward. He does work just fine in today’s game. Nelson is also the forward who can get the best return in a trade.

Face it. This team that was built to compete now is not constructed well enough to be considered a serious threat in the playoffs and is not looking at down the road. We’re caught in the middle. This will keep us riding the mediocrity merry-go-round for the next few years, Sorokin and the D or not. And that’s because of our forwards, with relief for them 2 years away at a minimum.

While I agree with you that our fans will not buy season ticket during a rebuild, I believe they won’t buy STs for a team that can’t get past the 1st or 2nd round. That’s the kind of team I think we have. Good enough to struggle their way in as a wild card, and get knocked out in the 1st round by Boston, Carolina, or New Jersey. Good luck selling season tickets if that happens.
If not being consistently a top 4 team in the league (especially just a couple years after doing so in consecutive seasons) is enough to sway fan interest that much, then this probably isn't a fan base that can support an NHL team longterm.

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
If not being consistently a top 4 team in the league (especially just a couple years after doing so in consecutive seasons) is enough to sway fan interest that much, then this probably isn't a fan base that can support an NHL team longterm.
Top 4 in a different structure (bubble/restricted travel) in a dump of a building

It's different in a new house with the furniture 3 years older

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Top 4 in a different structure (bubble/restricted travel) in a dump of a building

It's different in a new house with the furniture 3 years older
I havent lived in the area in quite a while, so TBH, I don't know which of you is right on this. But in the modern world of American major league sports, I just don't think any franchise can survive longterm with a fan base that gives up on it so quickly. STHs are massively important to a franchise, and if failing to make the final 4 at any point means you lose most of them then I don't think there is any level of management that means longterm survival in that market -- well, other than gang of 4 style cost cutting, of course. So, I hope MJF is wrong in this, because otherwise I don't see the Islanders staying a franchise in the area.

Last edited:

Mike C

Jan 24, 2022
Indian Trail, N.C.
I havent lived in the area in quite a while, so TBH, I don't know which of you is right on this. But in the modern world of American major league sports, I just don't think any franchise can survive longterm with a fan base that gives up on it so quickly. STHs are massively important to a franchise, and if failing to make the final 4 at any point means you lose most of them then I don't think there is any level of management that means longterm survival in that market -- well, other than gang of 4 style cost cutting, of course. So, I hope MJF is wrong in this, because otherwise I don't see the Islanders staying a franchise in the area.
i'm not in the ny area so the fellas up there certainly have a much better read on the flavor of the fans. assuming things are top dollar, i figure the fans want either a winner or a team pointing in the direction going that way. this being the 1st year of a new regime (sans barry) i'm hoping the fans have some patience. to your point, i think it's imperative for Lou make sufficient progress in upgrading the roster by the start of next season or be dismissed. for this year, a playoff birth would be ok considering the team is nowhere near top 4 worthy as a regular season entity and we can say for the sake of positivity, Lou is hamstrung by cap issues.... i do agree with many that should we get in, we have the ability and experience to PERHAPS make a run.

I think many fans over estimate and overrate this team and out of all the posts i've read and written today, JT said it best "the team is mediocre"

is that good enough to get in....maybe/maybe not....with the ages and miles on this club, i suspect the injuries will pile up and unless we find some suitable replacements, i don't care how elite sorokin, dobson and barzal are.....all that means is we lose 3-1, 5-3, 2-0 instead of 7-3, 6-1, etc

the regular season is a test of overall skill, endurance and capitalization whereas the playoff series are more a game of matchups and which favor elite coaching and strategy where Mr. Trotz excelled

i don't know if the Isles of today are talented enough or capable of making the playoffs. ....50/50.... but while other teams are finding their rhythm and legs, we are finding the penalty box, training room and unacceptable losses to shitty teams and backup goalies

all that said though, we are still in the mix and at least each game brings some hope whereas last season at this time, because of all the circumstances, the prognoses was bleak at best

Reactions: Ishkabible

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Consider that the team had a new arena built for them (a palace, IMHO) as the prime tenant, in Nassau County as the fans clamored for while the Isles were in Brooklyn, and lost season ticket holders this year after missing the playoffs for the first time after 3 straight playoff years.

I hope I'm wrong about our fans too and they’ve changed their habits , but there's a track history to fall back on.

Sorry about dragging this off-topic.

Last edited:
Reactions: Seph and Mike C

Skip To My Lou

Abused Fan
May 4, 2010
Garden City, NY
I need to bump this after last night's heroics. Is Brock getting better with age? I remember a few years ago, wanting to ship him out for a bag of pucks. Now he's becoming one of our most reliable players, putting up legitimate numbers these past two years.

Gotta love it.

JKP

Sep 19, 2004
Halifax, NS
I need to bump this after last night's heroics. Is Brock getting better with age? I remember a few years ago, wanting to ship him out for a bag of pucks. Now he's becoming one of our most reliable players, putting up legitimate numbers these past two years.

Gotta love it.
I’ve said this a few times around here. No one seems to have benefitted more from Trotz’s time here than Nelson. He used to drive me nuts and then all of a sudden he’s a great two-way 2C.

Reactions: Olliemets

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
1678495184304.png

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Watching Nelson lately it occurred to me he looks like a guy who obviously showed immense potential as a kid so his parents railroaded him into playing hockey, but he never liked it at all.

I can forgive almost anything, but I cannot forgive a lack of effort and Nelson is giving us about 50% of what he's capable of. Is embarrassing and I'm tired of yelling at the TV when he's on the ice.

It's time to cut bait with this guy in the offseason - Whatever it takes.
How this is a great one

Sparksrus3

Jun 2, 2012
I dont think anyone can find a family that is more of a hockey family than his.
Uncle Dave Christian on the miracle 1980 gold medal team, grandfather and great uncle on the 1960 gold medal team they also founded Christian hockey sticks , I know I had one . Great uncle on the 1956 silver medal team, His mother was a figure skater.
His wife was a former Ms Hockey and played for U of Wisconsin. Yeah I looked it up.Also in the off season he works in law enforcement ,

He’s got a friend in me …..

8F175DDD-4F20-4AA7-8707-3DE2173C0553.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: SI90

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC
Said a lot of mean things in the past that I would like to take back. Brock Nelson is one hell of a hockey player.

Best skater of the 2022-23 season by far. 36-39-75 and 82 games played. 8 game winners.

Despite what the offseason conversation will be regarding Nelson as an Islander moving forward...bravo Brock!
:clap:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad