Player Discussion: Brock Nelson

JTToilinginToronto

Isles Fan
Jan 18, 2019
Even if we draft a center with the first round pick this year, he will still be years away.

So the #2c for the next 3-4 years will either be Nelson or an external addition. How many of you would bet on being able to sign or trade for someone better? When our biggest FA signing in recent memory was Ladd and our biggest trades were only the result of other teams self inflicted cap hell.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Not a huge Nelson fan but I still feel in my guts he is a winger. Seems to have alittle chemistry with #13. I think eventually the Isles trade/sign a 2 C and slide Nelson to a scoring wing spot. Trotz has done great with him and it gives the Isles flexibility if a center goes down to move Nelson in that slot.

Reactions: teravaineSAROS

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
All in favor of bringing Nelson back as 2C if we address the team's overall C depth. Also would be prudent to try and upgrade on Filppula. He has had moments and been a useful player this year, but a year older next year and he'll certainly be out of place. If you can improve the 3C slot and you have a 13th/14th forward next year who can be a strong C, I'm more than happy to have Nelson back at 2C. He can be frustrating for sure but so can Barzal. He's quietly turned into one of the players I like to watch most.

Has an outside shot of setting a new career high in goals (5 more gets him to 27 and has a shot as well of getting to 55 points. A majority of the league will gladly sign up for that

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I'm operating on the assumption that Trotz prefers him in the middle. Now, whether that's simply pragmatism since the team is thin at center (likely) or he likes Brock at center (possible), I don't know.
Fair point, and I can't say I know either. But I do think either way, if a better 2C option was available he'd use it over Brock, and even if that meant Trotz felt the team was strongest with Brock pivoting the 3rd line to balance lines, it still would make the team better -- again, as long as he is willing to sign a contract that allows him to be moved.

Richie Daggers Crime

Rugged individualist
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Fair point, and I can't say I know either. But I do think either way, if a better 2C option was available he'd use it over Brock, and even if that meant Trotz felt the team was strongest with Brock pivoting the 3rd line to balance lines, it still would make the team better -- again, as long as he is willing to sign a contract that allows him to be moved.
Right on. And there's the crux of the Brock conundrum and what to do with him depending on his contract demands.

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Right on. And there's the crux of the Brock conundrum and what to do with him depending on his contract demands.
Agreed. Just comes down to what he's be willing to sign for. If it's reasonable, go for it, he'sa useful enough player right now and can be moved when we don't need him further. If he needs more than that, best of luck to him with another team.

All that said, my prediction is he'll be asking for more than what I'd like to see him signed at, so it's probably a moot point anyway.

CupHolders

Really Fries My Bananas!
Aug 8, 2006
Nelson was actually a monster tonight. He did everything but finish

Yep. I’ve always criticized him for his poor balance and weak stick on the puck. But this year he really has improved in that regards.

He’s more engaged and keeping his legs and the puck moving.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Brock has been a rock solid #2C this year. Provides secondary scoring with 2 way play. I am convinced he would be a good re-signing if the Isles were to go after Hayes in the summer. The better fit may be right under their noses.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Brock has been a rock solid #2C this year. Provides secondary scoring with 2 way play. I am convinced he would be a good re-signing if the Isles were to go after Hayes in the summer. The better fit may be right under their noses.
Was never a Nelson fan but he has had a very good season. My fear is that this is a mirage though as this is a contract season.

Reactions: Big L and 12Dog

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Was never a Nelson fan but he has had a very good season. My fear is that this is a mirage though as this is a contract season.

That's fair. I just look at this play this year. 20+ goals, 50+ points, rock solid defensively playing Center. Using his size and skill well. I can see him on The Bruins and it would scare the daylights out of NHL teams if that happened. If he gives Lou a team discount, after watching Kevin Hayes the past few games. Bot Nelson would be a better fit on the Isles IMO.

majormet

Nov 12, 2009
Dix Hills, NY

Ordinarily I would say yes, but this has a lot to do with coaching and for 3 more years Nelson will be with Trotz so he won't be allowed to slip, Trotz will have to put AJ in the #29 uniform next year if Brock slips (j/k)

Nelson was more Kesler like this year than Kesler.

Sparksrus3

NYI - THE TEAM WITH NO ❤️
Jun 2, 2012
Let's not lose sight of the reality that he is in control. He signed a 1 year deal last summer as a RFA. Same as Dehaan did. Now he is free come July 1st. Many of our posters are of the opinion we should just sign him . It may not even be possible . The Traitor situation may have agents licking their chops about guys signing before July 1st even if they wish to return . Did Brock have North Stars pajamas as a kid ? He was 2 when they left for Dallas

Reactions: YearlyLottery

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Still not a Nelson fan. He did improve..I see that, but he's not what we need for a 2c. I'd rather see Bailey centre that line.

Reactions: Macch and dood

buud

Ping Pong Predator
Oct 3, 2017
43N -79
Still not a Nelson fan. He did improve..I see that, but he's not what we need for a 2c. I'd rather see Bailey centre that line.
agreed. gotta wonder why Beau has been playing LW? maybe it is a precursor to Bailey switching to C? or maybe Koivula, who, while being a lefty, played RW quite a bit, and he can slip into the 3RW spot for next year?

players signed past this year...

Ladd - Barzal - Beau
MDC -Bailey - Clutter
Martin - Casey - Koivula
Johnston - Komorov - Fritz

slim lineup, for sure. Maybe LL & Trotz told everyone at the start of the year that they need this year to evaluate, so no signings until after the season? idk..

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
agreed. gotta wonder why Beau has been playing LW? maybe it is a precursor to Bailey switching to C? or maybe Koivula, who, while being a lefty, played RW quite a bit, and he can slip into the 3RW spot for next year?

Ladd - Barzal - Beau
MDC -Bailey - Clutter
Martin - Casey - Koivula

slim lineup, for sure. Maybe LL & Trotz told everyone at the start of the year that they need this year to evaluate, so no signings until after the season? idk..
Add a top line winger to that lineup and I think they could go deep into the playoffs next year.

Mr Misunderstood

Loser Point User
Apr 11, 2016
Charlotte, NC

Ladd - Barzal - Beau
MDC -Bailey - Clutter
Martin
- Casey - Koivula

Why do people continue to do this? Isn't it evident that they are so much better together than apart? Casey, Clutter and Martin are a unit and should not be separated if all on the team and all in the lineup.

I understand that this is only players that are signed past this year and will most likely not be the 2019-20 roster but still.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island

Ladd - Barzal - Beau
MDC -Bailey - Clutter
Martin - Casey - Koivula

That is a lottery offensive unit. There is noway we go into next season looking like that.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010

No doubt he's made big improvements this season, but i'm with you here. He's not a 2C on a cup contending team. If we can bring him back for 3C money, i'm ok with that but he hasn't been consistent enough to warrant a big money deal

YoureMyBoyLou

Sep 20, 2007
New York, NY
Besides Duchene, who is the center we can get that's better than Nelson? No one on the free agency side. Not sure who is available via trade, but you don't see many centers better than Nelson getting traded. We have to re-sign him. He may not be ideal, but we would regress without him. Upgrade on the wings and 3C and we will be better.

Reactions: duster19

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->