Brock Nelson

SLAPSHOT723

QU! Bobcats!
Jan 14, 2008
Long Island/NYC
www.nhl.com
ugg we'd be digging a hole to fill another. You guys let Spurgeon go unsigned which was a mistake. He'd be about the only guy on our roster considered "solid" (Dumba is too raw yet) other than Suter and Brodin, both of whom (I don't think this is an outrageous claim) are far more valuable than Nelson. The rest of our D are a mixed bag with good points and bad points.

Spurgeon would not help this Islander team, I'm not that upset that he's gone, even if he has been solid.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I would trade Brock Nelson and a guy like MacDonald for a solid defenseman to be honest right now

No team is giving up a good top 2-3 dman for a prospect and a pending UFA.

Isles don't have the assets to trade - period.

Their only asset is cap space (and Tavares) and both are untouchable

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
Have to give some praise to this guy. He is playing really well. Very heady player. Excellent on the puck. I think he's going to be a gem.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Have to give some praise to this guy. He is playing really well. Very heady player. Excellent on the puck. I think he's going to be a gem.

And I notice he's starting to play a lot like he did in Bridgeport, which was with a ton of confidence. Sky's the limit for Nelson. I do wish he played with Strome more, they seem to click together.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
I'm sure it has a lot to do with giving him regular shift in the line up and on the same line for more than two games, I think Strome will be playing with him soon just needs a little more time getting adjusting, that is going be a great line in the future.

Lek

Nov 25, 2006
Raleigh
Strome is not moving getting any higher than the third line, on a regular basis until at least next year. A lot of potential there, but he needs experience and a little more bulk yet.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
The only thing I'd like to see Brock do is play with a tad bit more snarl but regardless, he's really coming in to his own. Every day he gets a regular shift he seems to be more confident - almost as if he is acknowledging that he's here for good. And he is playing the body more even if he still seems like he's too nice a guy.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Judging from the rookie camps, he's got awesome chemistry with Anders Lee (4th in rookie scoring at the AHL and 1st in goals). Some combination of Lee/Nelson/Strome is going to be a tremendous line in the NHL real soon.

duster19

Feb 13, 2013
And I notice he's starting to play a lot like he did in Bridgeport, which was with a ton of confidence. Sky's the limit for Nelson. I do wish he played with Strome more, they seem to click together.

He's starting to create space for himself. He looks dangerous when he's looking to shoot. Very underrated shot

scott99

May 13, 2005
The only thing I'd like to see Brock do is play with a tad bit more snarl but regardless, he's really coming in to his own. Every day he gets a regular shift he seems to be more confident - almost as if he is acknowledging that he's here for good. And he is playing the body more even if he still seems like he's too nice a guy.

About the snarl part, it's interesting you said that, because there was just an article in Newsday how Nelson was playing with snarl, getting into post whistle scrums and things like that.

I've always noticed this about Nelson, he always adjusts. His freshman season at North Dakota, most of his points came in the second half of the season of what some considered a bust freshman season. I didn't consider it that, I saw the difference between the first half Nelson versus the second half. Then his sophomore season he just dominated with more ice time and more confidence.

Then we signed him after the sophomore season, he went to Bridgeport and was scoreless in 4 games and some playoff games. But as usual, he was able to make that adjustment to a new league, and last year he had a great rookie season at Bridgeport.

I'm seeing the same thing in the NHL now, it took him a little time to get used to the NHL, but he's made that adjustment, and I would not be surprised if he had a big second half. He already seems to have that confidence that he knows he can play in the league and succeed.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
About the snarl part, it's interesting you said that, because there was just an article in Newsday how Nelson was playing with snarl, getting into post whistle scrums and things like that.

I've always noticed this about Nelson, he always adjusts. His freshman season at North Dakota, most of his points came in the second half of the season of what some considered a bust freshman season. I didn't consider it that, I saw the difference between the first half Nelson versus the second half. Then his sophomore season he just dominated with more ice time and more confidence.

Then we signed him after the sophomore season, he went to Bridgeport and was scoreless in 4 games and some playoff games. But as usual, he was able to make that adjustment to a new league, and last year he had a great rookie season at Bridgeport.

I'm seeing the same thing in the NHL now, it took him a little time to get used to the NHL, but he's made that adjustment, and I would not be surprised if he had a big second half. He already seems to have that confidence that he knows he can play in the league and succeed.

Totally agree. Nelson is one of those guys that just gets it. He knows what he needs to do, and does it. He gets better and better because he focuses on what he needs to work on and watches the game. He's a true student. He's done it at every level and I like what I see from him more than I do from Strome at this point.

Now, if only he can become Failey's sensei.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
I've viewed Brock as a better prospect than even Strome for awhile now. This kid is going to be a big asset for this team.... there seriously is no real hole in his game at all. His first few steps could be faster, that's about the only thing I can think of. The way he plays absolutely reminds me of a cross between the two Staal brothers (Jordan/Eric).

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
I think some folks needs to step back and look at what Snow has drafted for this team and tip their cap to the guy.

I honestly knew little about Brock in that draft. When Snow traded up to draft him I was iffy. Didn't really envision Brock being one of our best prospects. Now, I just hope Brock can really light it up and give Kreider a run for his money in the Calder race.

scott99

May 13, 2005
Totally agree. Nelson is one of those guys that just gets it. He knows what he needs to do, and does it. He gets better and better because he focuses on what he needs to work on and watches the game. He's a true student. He's done it at every level and I like what I see from him more than I do from Strome at this point.

Now, if only he can become Failey's sensei.

Strome will be our Kris Kreider. Not in style of play or size, what I mean is, he may struggle for a while in the NHL, you can see the talent, you can see he will succeed, but he just isn't getting the bounces he got in juniors and the AHL. Kreider came from college and autimatically succeeded in the NHL playoffs, but then went on to struggle in the NHL AND AHL last year. This year he realized talent alone won't do it, he's working much harder and getting his breaks due to working hard AND talent. Not saying Strome isn't working hard, but he may have the same struggles, and then he'll explode due to his natural talent and hard work.

I guess I'm just saying, Nelson is faster to adjust than Strome. I think Strome may have higher upside, I think his best year he can be an 80 point guy, with most of his seasons in the 70's, where as I see Nelson as a consistent 60 point kind of player who may hit 70 points one or two season, but his success will come sooner than Strome's. Either way, we are in great shape with Strome and Nelson, I would love to see them as a line with Lee. I would love to see Vanek-Tavares-Okposo, then line 2 as Lee-Nelson-Strome. Line 3 Bailey-Nielsen-Grabner. LOTS of scoring there.

scott99

May 13, 2005
I think some folks needs to step back and look at what Snow has drafted for this team and tip their cap to the guy.

I honestly knew little about Brock in that draft. When Snow traded up to draft him I was iffy. Didn't really envision Brock being one of our best prospects. Now, I just hope Brock can really light it up and give Kreider a run for his money in the Calder race.

Kreider is having a great rookie season, but Mackinnon will win rookie of the year, that kid is an amazing talent.

Darth Milbury

Feb 27, 2002
Searching for Kvasha
Visit site
ugg we'd be digging a hole to fill another. You guys let Spurgeon go unsigned which was a mistake. He'd be about the only guy on our roster considered "solid" (Dumba is too raw yet) other than Suter and Brodin, both of whom (I don't think this is an outrageous claim) are far more valuable than Nelson. The rest of our D are a mixed bag with good points and bad points.

Spurgeon? My next door neighbor's 15-YO is bigger and stronger than Spurgeon.

Granted, he's a better gnat than Aaron Ness, but a gnat is still a gnat.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
It almost hurts to see him playing well, and watching Bailey with more years just fading deeper into obscurity. I look forward to Brock next to Strome next year.

Bailey oddly enough has 6 points in his last 11. Not spectacular by any means, but he's a long way from his 2 points in 24 games stretch.

I actually like Bailey with Nelson(at center). I'd like to see them stick Strome on the RW of that line once he gets back here.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad