Brock Nelson

sb24

Jan 8, 2010
Navajo country
I agree, he just really needs to start getting his nose dirty shift in and shift out.

He has the potential to be a Toews-eqsue puck hound with his speed and size, but he coasts on backchecks too frequently and tries to reach around guys inside of getting inside position. He could be a really solid 50-60 point forward if he figures some things out.

While its fine to want more from players, I'm a bit confused by this? He leads team in goals is the only top 6 forward with a positive +-.
The guys 4th in the whole nhl is points per 60. Let him be what he is. A goal scorer. Put him on the ice more play him on the pp, and not sitting on the goalie. Why not let him shoot the put on the pp? He would score 40 no problem if he was treated like other goal scorers in this league. But you guys want another Matt Martin?

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
While its fine to want more from players, I'm a bit confused by this? He leads team in goals is the only top 6 forward with a positive +-.
The guys 4th in the whole nhl is points per 60. Let him be what he is. A goal scorer. Put him on the ice more play him on the pp, and not sitting on the goalie. Why not let him shoot the put on the pp? He would score 40 no problem if he was treated like other goal scorers in this league. But you guys want another Matt Martin?

Well I don't know about 40, but I agree with ya on the rest. Good post.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

You clearly misunderstood my post if you think I want Nelson to become another Matt Martin, who I think is vastly overrated, and is one of my least favorite Islanders (if we are talking strictly as players). Literally all he does is chase players and doesn't even go for the puck.

I just Nelson think can also be effective in the neutral zone and defensive zone. Obviously, he's one of the Isles' better offensive zone players right now, and I don't want him to change that. He's emerging as really the only club's sniper, but I just don't think he shouldn't limit himself to that.

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

He has the frame and ability to be a Patrice Bergeron type of player. I don't think anyone is looking for him to become Matt Martin, but better at the grinding aspect of the game given his size.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010

Matt Martin? Different players in the end. But he is the kind of guy who elevates his game by agitating. We could use more of that - too many boy scouts on this club.

Wildlife

Sep 16, 2009
Minnesota
I'm a Wild fan mainly, but usually consider the Islanders my team in the east. I watch games when I can, but not as much as I'd like to. Brock Nelson's a Minnesota kid so I like watching him of course too, but I can never get a good read on him. What's the general consensus on where he shapes into the lineup in the future? Last couple games I've watched he seems to be playing on the 3rd line. Is that where he's projected?

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
I'm a Wild fan mainly, but usually consider the Islanders my team in the east. I watch games when I can, but not as much as I'd like to. Brock Nelson's a Minnesota kid so I like watching him of course too, but I can never get a good read on him. What's the general consensus on where he shapes into the lineup in the future? Last couple games I've watched he seems to be playing on the 3rd line. Is that where he's projected?

He's shaping into more of a sniper than a power forward, which is okay as long as he can keep up the scoring.

He was tried at center last year but wasn't really able to drive his line. He's spent most of this season on the wing, but has spent some time at center after his recent scoring spree.

Going forward I see him as a top-six winger who is good on the rush, sound defensively, pretty good in front of the net, somewhat weak along the boards and in 50/50 battles. And always with an unperturbed look on his face.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Brock has good size but doesn't really use it. He is an above average skater who has a good wrist shot. Brock will end up being a second line winger who will chip in about 20-25 goals as season. Brock has been moved around a lot but thats where i think he ends up.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006
Brock has good size but doesn't really use it. He is an above average skater who has a SICK wrist shot. Brock will end up being a second line winger who will chip in about 20-25 goals as season. Brock has been moved around a lot but thats where i think he ends up.

I fixed that for you. And it's not an overstatement. It's one of the quickest releases we've seen in years on this team and he's getting more confident with it each week. The league is noticing.

He's on pace for 32 goals and is only going to get better. Not saying he will score 30 plus each year but I think you're underselling him. Wouldn't be surprised seeing him pot 40 in the next few years - especially with the talent around him and the promising forwards coming up soon.

Once he learns how to mix it up a bit, use it to draw defenders to him and dish it off to an open winger, etc... - he has scary offensive potential.

Last edited:

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Brock has good size but doesn't really use it. He is an above average skater who has a good wrist shot. Brock will end up being a second line winger who will chip in about 20-25 goals as season. Brock has been moved around a lot but thats where i think he ends up.

About right except he should score between 25-30 on average in his peak years if he remains a winger rather than a center.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
He's shaping into more of a sniper than a power forward, which is okay as long as he can keep up the scoring.

He was tried at center last year but wasn't really able to drive his line. He's spent most of this season on the wing, but has spent some time at center after his recent scoring spree.

Going forward I see him as a top-six winger who is good on the rush, sound defensively, pretty good in front of the net, somewhat weak along the boards and in 50/50 battles. And always with an unperturbed look on his face.

He looks like someone who keeps getting the same mildly bad news. Like co-workers keep telling him he has to work on a Sunday.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007

Some of these nitwits would've chased Mike Bossy out of town with their idiotic proclamations that every single player needs to play with teh grits and sandpaper.

The game has passed a lot of hockey fans by. These are the people most obsessed with obedient to the point of obsequiousness players and every player having a few missing teeth. They see the game like it's Nintendo Ice Hockey, and they always need three fat guys.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
Remember when everyone was okay with him walking if he didn't sign the contract the team wanted him on? That was funny. :sarcasm:

That's an oddly smug post for your first one in over 6 months. Especially when you never part of the discussion of the topic you reference.

For the record, no one was okay with him walking, especially because he couldn't. Simply put, everyone here was fully aware that he had next to no leverage and he would be in camp eventually. Which he was.

Last edited:

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
That's an oddly smug post for your first onw in over 6 months. Especially when you never part of the discussion of the topic you reference.
Supa hot fire
rap-battle-o.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->