Brock Nelson

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
Mods, hope it is ok to start this thread.

Wow! I love this kid. Going to be hard for Cappy to sit him now.

Honestly, I thought his probable future was as a third liner. Now, I am starting to think he may be a top six.

What do you guys think? Is he for real?

Thought he looked outstanding. Great chemistry between him and JT and KO. I would leave them together since it was the most cohesive that unit has looked. I thought the Butchie made a great comment about being a North to South winger as he really seemed to click with John.

scott99

May 13, 2005
He showed a lot of improvement from his freshman season at North Dakato to his sophomore season. I thought he looked solid at the WJC's during his freshman season, though they had him on the 4th line. Right after that, during the second half of his freshman season , his play really picked up. Then at the rookie scrimmage after his freshman season, he looked awesome, clicked with Anders Lee. His sophomore season was downright dominant. Then he had an excellent first pro season with Bridgeport.

I think with Nelson, it only takes a small amount of time with him before it clicks, and then he adjusts. And when he adjusts, he always produces. He's already having a fine rookie season in the NHL, and does not look out of place with Tavares. He's a hard worker with excellent hockey sense, has good hands and good offensive instincts. I think eventually he can be a 25 goal 60 point kind of player. That also adds good defensive play, and hard corner work. A few times this season I've seen him shrug off checks with his strength, and a few times skate around defensemen on the outside, which used to be a weakness of his. The sky's the limit for this kid, he just knows how to play the game.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
He's ok so far, but he is still a rookie and of course has a lot to learn. I think first line is a great experience factor, but by no means he belongs there. He is not horrible or anything..actually, he is quite good, but he hasn't played well enough not to be scratched and I would prefer him to play a full season on the 3rd line, then decide what to do with him the next year when we know more about his overall talents in primetime.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Impressed.

And with each game you can easily see improvements.

BUT...this is (probably) because he is playing with JT. What happens if he gets banished to the 3rd/4th line when Vanek returns?

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL
Impressed.

And with each game you can easily see improvements.

BUT...this is (probably) because he is playing with JT. What happens if he gets banished to the 3rd/4th line when Vanek returns?

Nelson has looked good on every line he has been on. He is the anti-Nino.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
Nelson is big boy who adds a different dynamic to the top line. A bigger kid who is lanky and uses his wing span to his advantage. I can't wait until Nelson really fills out he's going to be a monster on the puck.

Plus nelson seems to have the vision that really helps to keep the play moving.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
I think he was off and on. He made some nice plays, but he also made a lot of plays that made me scratch my head. He still has a long way to go. Even if he gets "banished" to the third line, this is a good learning experience for him. There's time for Brock Nelson. He doesn't have to be a 1st liner today.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
I think he was off and on. He made some nice plays, but he also made a lot of plays that made me scratch my head. He still has a long way to go. Even if he gets "banished" to the third line, this is a good learning experience for him. There's time for Brock Nelson. He doesn't have to be a 1st liner today.

Agreed, but unless he totally under preforms, the Coaching staff has to find him minutes. If this kid we view part of the future, then he should not be sitting.

Richie Daggers Crime

Boosted 9 times they/them
Mar 8, 2004
Boise
Agreed, but unless he totally under preforms, the Coaching staff has to find him minutes. If this kid we view part of the future, then he should not be sitting.

Oh, I agree with that. I think when Vanek comes back that playing mostly 3rd line with some PP time and the occasional bump to the top 6 because of injury/underperformance would be fine going forward for the rest of the season. Taking it slow with Nelson in his first year is fine, IMO. I tend to think we heap too many expectations on these kids and most of em are still learning to be adults, let alone top line hockey players in the NHL.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
It comes down to Regin vs Nelson. Nelson showed us a glimpse of what he can be, but ultimately it comes down to him outplaying Regin.

There is no way in Vanek is being moved to another line, nor should he.

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
Correct me if I am wrong but didn't Nelson get a half dozen shifts on Tavares line last night and looked very good?
He does skate well, dig hard in the corners and has a ridiculously quick release wrist shot. I am not saying its Sakiclike but its very nice.
As a prospect he opened my eyes last year in Bport when he did everything asked and then some on a very bad team.
Its to early to anoint him on any line but if he keeps growing his game he could be the better version of Moulson or he could be Joel Otto.
Last year I gave 2 comparisions to his game on the low end Joel Otto and at the high end of Joel Newendyik-like (SP).

He should be getting more and more ice time as he is almost never a liability on the ice.

crasherino

May 9, 2013
What about if we leave Brock on the first line for a few more games and give Vanek some time with Franzie and Bailey? That may jumpstart two lines as the 1st line last night looked to be more energized than ever.

Move PMB down to the 3rd line with Grabs and Regin. Not the toughest bunch (to say the least) but then you have 3 legit scoring lines and 4th energy line.

And its not like Vanek is being demoted - he'd be playing with a Top 10 scoring Center. If they develop chemistry, he could be the rock of the 2nd line - the Malkin to Crosby.

Of course, we'd have to put someone else in the press box, which would be one of Colin, Cal or Casey (not sure who would Center the 4th line then tho).

Yitz

May 9, 2009
What about if we leave Brock on the first line for a few more games and give Vanek some time with Franzie and Bailey? That may jumpstart two lines as the 1st line last night looked to be more energized than ever.

Move PMB down to the 3rd line with Grabs and Regin. Not the toughest bunch (to say the least) but then you have 3 legit scoring lines and 4th energy line.

And its not like Vanek is being demoted - he'd be playing with a Top 10 scoring Center. If they develop chemistry, he could be the rock of the 2nd line - the Malkin to Crosby.

Of course, we'd have to put someone else in the press box, which would be one of Colin, Cal or Casey (not sure who would Center the 4th line then tho).

cmac would have to be the odd man out imo. cizikas is an important part of this team even though he has struggled to start the season, and garth put a lot of faith in cal trading an asset like nino for him.

enigmatic

Fire me please
Jul 7, 2009
nyc
you guys are crazy.....as soon as vanek comes back, he is riding shotgun to JT.....he is a top 10 winger in the NHL.....you put him with JT!!!!

if brock is as good as you people say he is (i think you guys overrate him, yet he is a good player....and will only get better), then he should be able to be effective with Nielsen centering him....just get him the hell away from PMB and Regin....

Vanek-JT-Okposo
Nelson-Nielsen-Bailey
PMB-Regin-Grabner
Clutterbuck-Cizikas-Martin

Extra-McDonald

FYI, i would prefer to sit PMb for McDonald, but it wont happen....

Talain

Mar 7, 2007
Vanek with Nielsen would be a fine combination. As it is, moving Vanek off of Tavares's wing and placing him with Nielsen could hardly be considered a demotion. As of right now, there are only four centers in the entire league with more points than Nielsen, and one of them is Tavares. Tavares + Nielsen actually has more points combined than Crosby + Malkin at the moment. The way he has been playing, on most teams he would be their number one center. (And another thing about Nielsen is that he seems to click with _everyone_). If the line of Nelson - Tavares - Okposo keeps producing, it absolutely should not be broken up.

Lines I would like to see at some point:
Nelson - Tavares - Okposo
Vanek - Nielsen - Bailey
Grabner - Strome - ??? (Bouchard if he can actually keep producing some and not be a total waste of space)
Martin - Cizikas - Clutterbuck

Regin and McDonald sit until someone gets injured or traded.

We would essentially have three scoring lines. The Nielsen line would be matched against other teams' top lines, and their job would essentially be to make sure that the opposing team's top line ends up being a minus for the game.

I'd consider swapping Bailey and Grabner (in fact I'm almost leaning towards it). I'd also consider trading either of them to improve our porous D. Grabner's speed makes it rather difficult to part with him, but on the other hand he just hasn't been producing. (We also need a backup goaltender, as Nabby doesn't cut it even for that).

And in Bridgeport, we have Anders Lee who might be NHL ready soon, and also this Mike Halmo guy who seems to be making a strong case for himself.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Like I said before the game if Brock plays well with Tavares, which looks like a very good fit at the moment I would keep him there. I love the kids puck control, he's similar to Tavares with stick handling and along the boards, smart player.

Let's get the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line back together when Vanek comes back. Will have 2 very good lines.

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin-Regin-McDonald

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Bailey is really perplexing. You just can't disappear for 7 games in a row. He's been in the league too long now and needs to prove he can consistently bring it night in and night out.

This claim is really frustrating to me. It's not disappearing when you do other things well other than scoring. Not to mention, that whole line stopped producing pretty much after Grabner was dropped to the 3rd line after his suspension. Bailey does a lot of things well away from the puck and with the puck, other than score. There is more to the game than points.

It comes down to Regin vs Nelson. Nelson showed us a glimpse of what he can be, but ultimately it comes down to him outplaying Regin.

There is no way in Vanek is being moved to another line, nor should he.

Vanek can be moved, and there is no reason why he can't be. If Malkin can play on the 2nd line and the same with Kane, Vanek certainly can. It would add more depth to the team put a real star on each line. He doesn't have to be moved, but it wouldn't be bad to move him.

Regin and Nelson aren't competing for the same spot right now, because Nelson seems to be staying as a winger. He is competing with PMB and McDonald. And he is better than both.

I really want PMB to go away, he doesn't provide anything when he's on the 3rd line. I'd rather two lines that can grind you down with one that can score sometimes, than a really soft line that does nothing and another that is just a grinder line.

Casey can't be scratched because he's the best center we have at faceoffs and provides that 4th line with offensive ability.

Like I said before the game if Brock plays well with Tavares, which looks like a very good fit at the moment I would keep him there. I love the kids puck control, he's similar to Tavares with stick handling and along the boards, smart player.

Let's get the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line back together when Vanek comes back. Will have 2 very good lines.

Vanek-Tavares-Nelson
Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo
Grabner-Cizikas-Clutterbuck
Martin-Regin-McDonald

That would be fine too if it worked. Having Nelson and Grabner play well with the top two lines really gives more flexibility to the lineup when injuries happen and/or we need to make adjustments in the middle of a game.

Lots of options and Brock is showing that he can play in the top 6 if he's provided with guys who can play. It's really difficult for guys like him to perform on lines with players who are really lacking in various areas or don't compliment their style of play. He's been good on the 3rd line with flashes of skill and some nice moves, but always seems to be on an island alone in the offensive zone. It's all about setting these players up to succeed. Giving them meaningless minutes on the 3rd line isn't going to prepare them for play on the top two.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad