Brock Nelson

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
So Brock is really starting to emerge now, great to see. When he adds another 10-15 pounds, he's going to be really scary. His versatility is so big for this team. He's a natural center and I especially love that.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
So Brock is really starting to emerge now, great to see. When he adds another 10-15 pounds, he's going to be really scary. His versatility is so big for this team. He's a natural center and I especially love that.

I agree. However, let me ask you this. What do you see Brock's ceiling at? I remember reading a lot of folks thought Nelson would be a solid two way third Center. Would contribute offensively but wouldn't be a force offensively.

I also had hoped the kid would be more a second line Center whom would be what we are seeing in Frans this year but on a more consistent basis if that makes sense.

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
I agree. However, let me ask you this. What do you see Brock's ceiling at? I remember reading a lot of folks thought Nelson would be a solid two way third Center. Would contribute offensively but wouldn't be a force offensively.

I also had hoped the kid would be more a second line Center whom would be what we are seeing in Frans this year but on a more consistent basis if that makes sense.

Once he fills out he will become a power forward with really good hands.

Strome18

Oct 23, 2010
Florida
I would love Brock to be our mini Joe Thornton, in the sense of size. I want him to play center because we are so small down the middle.

He will never be a Thornton passing wise but can be lethal with that shot of his.

IslesRock4

Ever Forward
Jul 21, 2007
Long Island
Brock is so versatile, but I think I like him down the middle better than Strome. Ryan was focusing on the defensive responsibilities of being a center, which limited his offensive mindset. The defense is a little more natural for Nelson. A couple people have posted this recently but Nelson down the middle and Strome on RW (on the same line!) would bring out the best from both players IMO. Then Bailey or Grabner or someone not currently on the team on LW. Nielsen slots in at 3C where he should be.

CLUTTERSTACHE*

That goal wasn't anything crazy but the way he shot it in the net looked so smooth. Lightning quick hands.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
Brock is so versatile, but I think I like him down the middle better than Strome. Ryan was focusing on the defensive responsibilities of being a center, which limited his offensive mindset. The defense is a little more natural for Nelson. A couple people have posted this recently but Nelson down the middle and Strome on RW (on the same line!) would bring out the best from both players IMO. Then Bailey or Grabner or someone not currently on the team on LW. Nielsen slots in at 3C where he should be.

It's what I've been preaching for a couple years now.

RMimagery

Jul 22, 2006

I also agree with you and Jester. Nelson has the size to go along with his positioning to better handle being a reliable C in the NHL as of now. Let Strome gain some muscle and experience the rest of this year and next. By 2015, Strome may be ready but until then, he can be a dangerous winger and take a bit less wear and tear as he matures.

Really nice to see Nelson, Strome and de Haan looking more than comfortable with the big boys. They will be impact players for us for a long time I hope.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Lee - Nelson - Strome would be a fantastic line.

1000% agree :handclap: I know there is no way in hell that he gets up here (barring injury) but I would love to have him up here this year. If we fall out of the playoff race, I hope the braintrust (and I use that term lightly) bring him up and let the kiddie kore work together and see what happens.

IMLACHnME

Dec 27, 2013
GTA
About my favorite Islander

Could someone please explain the ice time Brock Nelson is receiving. He has demonstrated impressive goal-scoring acumen, particularly considering the minutes he's playing. Why should any forward - not playing on Tavares' line - warrant more ice time than Nelson? How does Josh Bailey warrant more PP minutes? Were I coach, Brock would be playing top-six minutes and enjoying lots of PP time.

As I've stated before, Nelson is high on my list of players I'd like to see in Buffalo.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Could someone please explain the ice time Brock Nelson is receiving. He has demonstrated impressive goal-scoring acumen, particularly considering the minutes he's playing. Why should any forward - not playing on Tavares' line - warrant more ice time than Nelson? How does Josh Bailey warrant more PP minutes? Were I coach, Brock would be playing top-six minutes and enjoying lots of PP time.

As I've stated before, Nelson is high on my list of players I'd like to see in Buffalo.

Bailey only gets 2nd unit time, which is honestly what he should be getting. If anything, Brock should be taking Clutterbuck's minutes.

I agree though, Capuano isn't fully utilizing him. I think he's earned more responsibilities.

bluechipbonzo

Feb 12, 2010
Ottawa
Lee - Nelson - Strome would be a fantastic line.

Lee is the Donovan of the forward group...dude will need to find another gear if he wants to be a regular NHLer...too slow, and doesn't have the experience yet to position himself properly to make up for that. He will be like Colin MacDonald if he makes it...some nice hands and shot if he has time, great size and effective if he gets there. He's a project and like Donovan should be in the AHL next year.

Felix Unger

Aug 2, 2005

I don't know about "lots" of PP time, considering that the #1 unit is set, but you won't see anyone here disagree that he should get 2nd unit time + 2nd line time instead of Bailey. His play has really improved over the year.

I don't see him heading to Buffalo for anything. You need your young defensemen just as much as we would.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Bailey only gets 2nd unit time, which is honestly what he should be getting. If anything, Brock should be taking Clutterbuck's minutes.

I agree though, Capuano isn't fully utilizing him. I think he's earned more responsibilities.

If anything? :laugh:

I have no clue why Cal Clutterbuck is on the powerplay, he has no business being there.

Levi Walking Bear

Very Interesting
Oct 8, 2009
Anywhere
Since many North Dakota games are shown on Fox College Sports, it was a great since it allowed to see Brock play often. The second year he was on the left wing on a pretty good line so at least to me gave a good impression as a goal scoring wing. Yet during those games, Brock played center killing penalties and was often used to take important face offs. Brock just has it, he will be good at either position but now watching him at center, all I can say is wow, he can play it. Posted this yesterday, there are the Strome at center or wing, Brock at center or wing debates. Believe it will work itself out because besides skill both have that high hockey IQ.

simbo042

Apr 24, 2013
Newcastle, UK
He has looked better and better recently, a nice smooth goal against the Pens the other night too. He has looked good on the wing with JT and playing centre further down the line up.

Right now I'm happy wherever he plays as long as he gets the minutes. But down the line? Hard not to like him in the middle with his size. Looking forward to watching him develop further!

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
If anything? :laugh:

I have no clue why Cal Clutterbuck is on the powerplay, he has no business being there.

I get the feeling Capuano doesn't either. If you asked him why he puts him there, he will probably answer, "Because Ipswich clams."

The emergence of Nelson may have an impact on where Strome winds up. It will be interesting to see how this shakes out. You can't have two 2nd line centers, and I know Strome isn't built for the checking unit.

Dutch Frost

Battle Level
Mar 12, 2010
Queens, NY

Well sir, its because we have an inept coach who has no business in the league and prefers to smother players with limited ice time, meanwhile Josh Bailey who has no business playing in the 2nd line does.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
I love Clutterbuck's game, for what he is. He's NOT a PP guy. He should just tell Capuano and Weight to NOT put him on the PP. He must know what they don't.

The need a defenseman who can move and pass. Vanek doesn't do much except a lot of fumbled passes. Tavares hasn't been good on the PP either. Neither has Nielsen or Okposo. They are downright awful out there and I look forward to Nelson and Bailey and the 2nd unit with deHaan and Donovan, sadly.

desmond

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
Lee is the Donovan of the forward group...dude will need to find another gear if he wants to be a regular NHLer...too slow, and doesn't have the experience yet to position himself properly to make up for that. He will be like Colin MacDonald if he makes it...some nice hands and shot if he has time, great size and effective if he gets there. He's a project and like Donovan should be in the AHL next year.

Unlike Donovan he is coachable and has started to make adjustments. Probably needs another year in AHL. Downside is 4th liner.

WangMustGo

Mar 31, 2008
Long Island
This kid is really becoming one of my favorite players. Great pick by Snow, this kid has it all, size, speed, hockey smarts, and awareness. That play he made on Backes in overtime was great. This kid oozes potential, I could easily see him being a 60+ point player while having a great 200 foot game.

ds4130

Jun 6, 2011
Mandalay, Myanmar
Call me crazy, but I see him as a 60+ point defensive minded player. I currently see him as the second best forward not on the first line behind Nielsen. Wont be surprised to see him eclipse that next season.

Last edited:

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Call me crazy, but I see him as a 60+ point defensive minded player. I currently see him as the second forward not on the first line behind Nielsen. Wont be surprised to see him eclipse that next season.

I agree....you put him on a line with Strome being the playmaker, and Nelson makes his living in the dirty areas-seems to have the hands.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad