Brock Nelson

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
Good read.

I'm not sure, Commodore seems bitter and I'm sure he's not the first (or last) player to feel jilted by a coach. Remember Brendan Witt?

I don't think there's any drama with Nelson. I just think Capuano is desperate, feeling the heat is on him (as it should be). And he has more confidence in vets, rather than risking a loss because of rookie mistakes.

So Donovan and Nelson are protected and their minutes cut, put into situations where any potential damage is limited. But this also causes players to develop poorly, afraid to make a mistake, they don't play THEIR GAME. Like Nelson DID with Tavares. They did the same with Nino. Same regime.

TBAY has an all rookie 3rd line - Panik -Palat - Johnson and now called up Kucherov who was tearing up the AHL, he scored on his first shot, first shift in the NHL. The Isles seem to do everything so effn different and backwards. It's maddening.

But I don't think it's any conspiracy against Brock or any showcasing. It's just Cappy who thinks the risk of a mistake versus getting more out of a player is too dangerous. So a safe player like Regin (and Reasoner, Pandolfo, Rolston before him) become the choice. Problem is, they DON'T CREATE A SINGLE THING OUT THERE. So it's only a matter of time until they fail. AND THE YOUNG PLAYERS DON'T DEVELOP

(All caps for rage-emphasis). :rant:

Witt went through my mind immediately. He said something similar, that Snow destroyed his career after he was finished, but the promises of playing by the GM... followed by the benching by the coach... It is hard to ignore the similarities there with what Nino went through.

Just taking a huge stab in the dark on this...

Three times now Garth calls up a kid (Nino, Ullstrom, Nelson), and three times they sit because of the coach. I may or may not agree with each of those choices being benched when they were - that's superfluous - what is interesting is the dynamic that appears to have Snow bringing them in and Capuano saying loudly, "No, I will not play them."

If that is the case, and I am not asserting it to be so but if true, then that means Capuano has quite a bit of Wang's confidence because defying Snow is a sure ticket out of town.

We know Wang loves his committees, and loves being involved on an operational level (which we all know is a recipe for disaster).

Maybe in the end yet another operational decision is ultimately being controlled by Wang? Nino was up for one reason - help Wang's budget. It helped cause us to lose a 6 pick for Clutterbuck. Now we see Nelson sitting because the coach feels that someone else is better on the ice? And Garf doesn't just fire his ass after that, and after all the bad coaching mistakes he makes, and after his heinously awful record to begin with? Why? Tell me I sound like an out there conspiracy theorist... after every next loss Capuano stays in for.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
Witt went through my mind immediately. He said something similar, that Snow destroyed his career after he was finished, but the promises of playing by the GM... followed by the benching by the coach... It is hard to ignore the similarities there with what Nino went through.

Just taking a huge stab in the dark on this...

Three times now Garth calls up a kid (Nino, Ullstrom, Nelson), and three times they sit because of the coach. I may or may not agree with each of those choices being benched when they were - that's superfluous - what is interesting is the dynamic that appears to have Snow bringing them in and Capuano saying loudly, "No, I will not play them."

If that is the case, and I am not asserting it to be so but if true, then that means Capuano has quite a bit of Wang's confidence because defying Snow is a sure ticket out of town.

We know Wang loves his committees, and loves being involved on an operational level (which we all know is a recipe for disaster).

Maybe in the end yet another operational decision is ultimately being controlled by Wang? Nino was up for one reason - help Wang's budget. It helped cause us to lose a 6 pick for Clutterbuck. Now we see Nelson sitting because the coach feels that someone else is better on the ice? And Garf doesn't just fire his ass after that, and after all the bad coaching mistakes he makes, and after his heinously awful record to begin with? Why? Tell me I sound like an out there conspiracy theorist... after every next loss Capuano stays in for.

yeah, i often woner if Cappy is getting a pass, because he is being micromanaged by Snow.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
yeah, i often woner if Cappy is getting a pass, because he is being micromanaged by Snow.

Definitely. Cappy has nothing to gain by keeping Regin and Bouchard in his lineup, just as any idiot could see that Brian Rolston was getting too much ice time early on. It seems that Cappy is allowing Garth's off-season acquisitions every possible chance at the expense of guys like Nelson and Nino. If Cappy benches guys like Regin and PMB he'll not keep his job for long.

I did notice also 2 years ago that whenever DP played, Cappy would answer post game questions with I'm not discussing our goaltending. I always felt that he never wanted to play DP and would have used Montoya or Nabby. Little doubt in my mind that Cappy is simply following Snow's instruction. If he goes against Snow- goodbye job.

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
I thought he was great last night, maybe the best forward on the team.

Maybe not the BEST forward last night but certainly very good. He's just so disruptive to the other team in the offensive zone and in front of the net. Very noticeable presence even when he's not touching the puck.

On Edge

Nov 26, 2005
Long Island
Maybe not the BEST forward last night but certainly very good. He's just so disruptive to the other team in the offensive zone and in front of the net. Very noticeable presence even when he's not touching the puck.

He will sit again probably one of the two next games.

Islander logic.

gonnaneedsomewine

Jun 19, 2010
Definitely. Cappy has nothing to gain by keeping Regin and Bouchard in his lineup, just as any idiot could see that Brian Rolston was getting too much ice time early on. It seems that Cappy is allowing Garth's off-season acquisitions every possible chance at the expense of guys like Nelson and Nino. If Cappy benches guys like Regin and PMB he'll not keep his job for long.

I did notice also 2 years ago that whenever DP played, Cappy would answer post game questions with I'm not discussing our goaltending. I always felt that he never wanted to play DP and would have used Montoya or Nabby. Little doubt in my mind that Cappy is simply following Snow's instruction. If he goes against Snow- goodbye job.

This just lends itself to how dysfunctional this organization has become.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
He was definitely in the middle of things, whether playing physical, going to the net and parking in front, working hard in the corners. Showed a lot of heart and played with some urgency (I guess sitting for no good reason does that to an athlete). It is hard to imagine the reason he is not an everyday player. He has experience in a pro environment, he isn't stuck behind more talented players or his skill set is redundant. If it wasn't so frustrating it would be laughable how this kid has to come to the rink in the morning and not know if he is gonna be in the lineup.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
IMO, waiving pmb today lends itself to their keeping pmb and Regin in to give the other GMs a last look for hopes of a trade.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
so...ah...what do you guys want for him? I mean, if you're just going to keep him off the NHL ice, you might as well get something for him, right?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
so...ah...what do you guys want for him? I mean, if you're just going to keep him off the NHL ice, you might as well get something for him, right?

A young bluechip prospect. Who are your team's top 2-3 , nhl ready prospects.

fnfelon

Oct 12, 2013
Long Island
No way I trade Nelson, first I really don't want any of these kids moved until an experienced Coach comes in to evaluate them. In reality do we really know what we have or how they will react to proper Coaching? Second, Nelson is the type of forward we've just seen thrown against us by these really good West Coast clubs: Big, Strong, and powerful going into the corners. Nelson is what we should have move of, hopefully Lee will be another. Ulstrom was another big kid Capuano f'd with last year, maybe he'll return and that's three big forwards along with Vanek if we can sign him.

_illicit_

Nov 30, 2005
FL

Go figure, a Minn fan. Minnesota is second only to Toronto when it comes to them thinking everyone born there must want to play there.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
A young bluechip prospect. Who are your team's top 2-3 , nhl ready prospects.

I was just busting his chops<g>.
Opposing fans always want another team's top youngsters, while getting upset if you ask for theirs.
One, it's not hugely far fetched--and I would absolutely expect a good prospect to leave along with a pick of some sort. You won't find anywhere in my history an instance where I've been upset when someone demands fair value--because if he wasn't worth a lot then why the hell would i want him in the first place? Two, our two best prospects at the moment (considering Brodin, Coyle, Granlund, and Nino are all playing in the NHL) are Dumba and Zucker. Zucker is a very dangerous winger if he has a playmaker on his line and perfect for rush hockey but we're short on playmakers and the 2nd line center position is in flux. Dumba is a raw defenseman, but he's got great offensive instincts and a killer attitude. He'll be a physical shoot first guy and not sure we could deal him because there isn't anyone in the system like him in the AHL or NHL.

Go figure, a Minn fan. Minnesota is second only to Toronto when it comes to them thinking everyone born there must want to play there.

I can see where you might get that impression, but honestly more often than not the provincially biased proposals go the other way with other teams offering up Minnesotan players to us for whomever. It's worse lately (HFwild), but not as bad as you're making it out to be. I think St. Louis, for example, has more Minnesotans on it than the Wild and they all look pretty comfortable there.

Normally i wouldn't even inquire but as i stated earlier in this thread I really like this guy--the only reason his birthplace factors in is the exposure I got watching him play HS and NCAA hockey. And the Isles did deal another young prospect who it looked like wasn't working in the current set-up. Hasn't been as long with Nelson obviously, but there's something to the idea that you'd get more for him if you deal him early rather than after it's been made clear to the rest of the league you can't find a place for him (like with Nino).

And really it doesn't matter one way or the other where the guy wants to play at this point in his career with regard to being dealt. I didn't mean to imply he requested a trade or anything like that.

rynryn

May 29, 2008
Minny
ugg we'd be digging a hole to fill another. You guys let Spurgeon go unsigned which was a mistake. He'd be about the only guy on our roster considered "solid" (Dumba is too raw yet) other than Suter and Brodin, both of whom (I don't think this is an outrageous claim) are far more valuable than Nelson. The rest of our D are a mixed bag with good points and bad points.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad