Brock Nelson

It Was 4 to 1*

Mar 22, 2009
Kid needs to play. Not because he's a "prospect" but because he gives the Islanders a better chance to win. He's better than most Isles forwards, it's that simple.

Vanek - Tavares - Nelson (Hey Cappy, remember how well Nelson played with Tavares when Vanek was hurt?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Bailey - Strome - Okposo

Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck

Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

i would love these lines, unfortunately they'd never play TWO rookies.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
Strome needs to prove himself before he gets second line centre and if you are gonna relegate Nielsen to the third line...he'd produce a lot better winging JT instead of putting Nelson there. Nelson needs to be able to put up numbers..it's no use putting a big body player there if he doesn't score. He should be at least a ppg player before he is full time on the first line.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
Kid needs to play. Not because he's a "prospect" but because he gives the Islanders a better chance to win. He's better than most Isles forwards, it's that simple.

Vanek - Tavares - Nelson (Hey Cappy, remember how well Nelson played with Tavares when Vanek was hurt?!?!?!?!?!?!)

Bailey - Strome - Okposo

Grabner - Nielsen - Clutterbuck

Martin - Cizikas - McDonald

I'd prefer switching Strome and Nielsen. You already know the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line has amazing chemistry together, they need to be reunited.

blinkman360

Loyal Players Only
Dec 30, 2005
Lawn Guyland
Strome needs to prove himself before he gets second line centre and if you are gonna relegate Nielsen to the third line...he'd produce a lot better winging JT instead of putting Nelson there. Nelson needs to be able to put up numbers..it's no use putting a big body player there if he doesn't score. He should be at least a ppg player before he is full time on the first line.

How the hell do you expect Nelson to be a PPG player without playing on the 1st line? We've never even had a PPG player on that line during Tavares' time here, including Tavares(splitting hairs, but true). If that's the criteria for Nelson to get a shot on the 1st, I'm guessing he'll never see the 1st line in his career here.

I'd prefer switching Strome and Nielsen. You already know the Bailey-Nielsen-Okposo line has amazing chemistry together, they need to be reunited.

I like it actually. I wouldn't look too much into the labels as far as 2C and 3C goes. Nielsen will probably still get more ice time than Strome, only he'll be used in a defensive role while Strome will be used in an offensive one. IMO Nielsen would be much more effective as our shut-down center if he wasn't being relied upon heavily to give us secondary scoring. I think those lines would be a better fit for everyone.

Recently, secondary scoring seems to be a bigger weakness than our defense. If bringing up Strome could make a difference and help us win some more games, I'd give it a shot. Strome happens to be NHL-ready, so there really is nothing to lose at this point.

original islander

Oct 12, 2011
This is ridiculous...I cannot understand how Doug Weight, Capuano, and Thompson can all agree on this.

If I did not want to get fired, I would play Nelson.:help:

Except if the person that could fire you was also the person that squandered our beloved owner's hard earned money on PMB and Regin.

Isles Junkie

Jul 4, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Only a rebuilding team like the Islanders can scratch a talented rookie who has played well.

When Vanek was hurt Nelson plays on the 1st line & performs well. But now he's scratched for Peter Regin?

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****. I hate Jack Capuano so much.

Sheva7

Work Hahd Play Smaht
Oct 11, 2011
He must be learning all kinds of stuff watching these guys getting creamed every night

What a terrible situation

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008
He must be learning all kinds of stuff watching these guys getting creamed every night

What a terrible situation

Maybe Cappy wanted him to watch the BLUES play? Learn from Backes, Oshie? Makes more sense than lining up with Bouchard and Regin. No?

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I found this interesting & thought you would too

I happened across this on the Sun's website. It is Mike Commodore's thoughts on coaching abuse, if you can call it that, at the end of his NHL career:

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Hockey/2013/12/06/21320886.html

An excerpt:
"Finally, it was mid-November, Ian White got a puck to the face and was going to miss a week, we went on a road trip. A four-game road trip, and I thought to myself that this was my chance. I played three games, no two games, I think, three minutes a night … The only time I touched the ice was when the fourth line was on, and the faceoff was in the neutral zone. I was opening the doors for Lidstrom, that’s all I was doing, being a cheerleader.

“Babs then met with me, said he was calling up guys from minors, and scratched me until Christmas. Then the GM forced the coach to play me; I played fifteen games, I fought, I played the best I could with the ice time I was getting.

My first thought was that Mike is just pissing before letting the door hit him on the way out, or even long after he is out. But then I thought about some of the strange maneuvering we have seen out of Capuano in the case of Nelson and wonder if he is getting the same kind of treatment because the coach doesn't like him. Some thoughts...
- GM likes the player. Sticks him on the roster.
- Coach says it is his roster, and benches a guy he doesn't like.
- Player rots while other worse players the coach prefers plays.

I almost wonder if the inverse was happening as well, if the GM had a hair up his butt about keeping other players in over Nelson... I am not sure what to make of the current issue with Nelson, but no matter how you cut it something stinks to high heaven about this.

Anyway, just wanted to share a story from another player from another team, a respected team with a GM and head coach with larger reputations, who is telling a familiar story. I would like to get some of your opinions on this. Thanks.

19NYSports91

Feb 1, 2012
Long Island
I happened across this on the Sun's website. It is Mike Commodore's thoughts on coaching abuse, if you can call it that, at the end of his NHL career:

An excerpt:

My first thought was that Mike is just pissing before letting the door hit him on the way out, or even long after he is out. But then I thought about some of the strange maneuvering we have seen out of Capuano in the case of Nelson and wonder if he is getting the same kind of treatment because the coach doesn't like him. Some thoughts...

I almost wonder if the inverse was happening as well, if the GM had a hair up his butt about keeping other players in over Nelson... I am not sure what to make of the current issue with Nelson, but no matter how you cut it something stinks to high heaven about this.

Anyway, just wanted to share a story from another player from another team, a respected team with a GM and head coach with larger reputations, who is telling a familiar story. I would like to get some of your opinions on this. Thanks.

We saw a similar situation with Ullstrom last year. Idk I find it hard to believe that Snow would tell Capuano to bench Nelson when he's playing well. Who knows. The whole thing doesn't make any sense at all.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY

An excerpt:

Anyone that can't see how Brock Nelson is a better option than Regin or Bouchard should be immediately sent packing.

Jester9881

May 16, 2006
Long Island NY
We saw a similar situation with Ullstrom last year. Idk I find it hard to believe that Snow would tell Capuano to bench Nelson when he's playing well. Who knows. The whole thing doesn't make any sense at all.

And it's a damn shame about him too. Another guy that showed talent but never got a chance here for whatever reason.

redbull

Boss
Mar 24, 2008

Good read.

I'm not sure, Commodore seems bitter and I'm sure he's not the first (or last) player to feel jilted by a coach. Remember Brendan Witt?

I don't think there's any drama with Nelson. I just think Capuano is desperate, feeling the heat is on him (as it should be). And he has more confidence in vets, rather than risking a loss because of rookie mistakes.

So Donovan and Nelson are protected and their minutes cut, put into situations where any potential damage is limited. But this also causes players to develop poorly, afraid to make a mistake, they don't play THEIR GAME. Like Nelson DID with Tavares. They did the same with Nino. Same regime.

TBAY has an all rookie 3rd line - Panik -Palat - Johnson and now called up Kucherov who was tearing up the AHL, he scored on his first shot, first shift in the NHL. The Isles seem to do everything so effn different and backwards. It's maddening.

But I don't think it's any conspiracy against Brock or any showcasing. It's just Cappy who thinks the risk of a mistake versus getting more out of a player is too dangerous. So a safe player like Regin (and Reasoner, Pandolfo, Rolston before him) become the choice. Problem is, they DON'T CREATE A SINGLE THING OUT THERE. So it's only a matter of time until they fail. AND THE YOUNG PLAYERS DON'T DEVELOP

(All caps for rage-emphasis). :rant:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad