Brock Nelson

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
I believe Staple said he needs to be signed and in the building by 7AM tomorrow.

He will be. It is just too stupid and damaging to his future to miss an entire season of play over a money issue when missing the season makes that circumstance worse. No money+ no play < than $1.5MM + play.

TexMurphyPI

Feb 11, 2003
If Brock doesn't sign by tomorrow, look for his agent to go out and find a team willing to sign Brock to an offer sheet, although he may not find one.

An offer sheet with an AAV of 1.8-3.6 will only require a 2nd round pick. So will Snow match a 3.6AAV contract for 2-4yrs? Given the compensation of only a 2nd rounder he would have to.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
If Brock doesn't sign by tomorrow, look for his agent to go out and find a team willing to sign Brock to an offer sheet, although he may not find one.

An offer sheet with an AAV of 1.8-3.6 will only require a 2nd round pick. So will Snow match a 3.6AAV contract for 2-4yrs? Given the compensation of only a 2nd rounder he would have to.

Honestly, if he doesn't sign tomorrow I'd rather trade him if we can get a good deal. We shouldn't force ourselves into a deal we don't want to sign.i really wouldn't be surprised if him not signing is the final straw for Snow.

WhitePony

Mar 29, 2003
Visit site

Snow is one of the few GM's in the league whose players I wouldn't offer sheet. He seems the type to hold a grudge, and it wouldn't surprise me in the least if down the line he did the same back.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY

Is Brock Nelson that good of a player that a GM would risk a retaliatory offer sheet to one of their top young players over?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Isles have $8m in cap space.
Teams rarely sign players to offer sheets because they so rarely lead to them landing the p!ayer.

Isles offered Nelson a 7 yr deal. So, yeah. I think they definitely match.

Strummergas

Regular User
Sep 3, 2006
Queens, NY
How many GMs have signed players to retaliatory offer sheets?

The NHL is not an elementary school playground and with the possible exception of Brian Burke, GMs are not running around like angry children.

Maybe. But the possibility seems to be a deterrent to making these offers. Otherwise, I'd think we'd see more of them than we do.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
How many GMs have signed players to retaliatory offer sheets?

The NHL is not an elementary school playground and with the possible exception of Brian Burke, GMs are not running around like angry children.

For weeks the Canadian press reported that Chia and the Oilers were considering offer sheeting Hamilton from the caphell Bruins. The implication was that Boston would be better off trading Hamilton, before losing him to an Oiler offer sheet.

After the Hamilton trade, the press reported that the Bruins demanded a much higher return from Edmonton, then the one they accepted from Calgary.
And is it a coincidence that when they had to trade Hamilton, Boston sent him to Edmonton"s bitter rival?

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Maybe. But the possibility seems to be a deterrent to making these offers. Otherwise, I'd think we'd see more of them than we do.

I think we hardly ever see offer sheets because they rarely work.
Teams bite the bullet, match the offer sheet.

They only lead to higher rfa salaries and pissed off feelings among front offices.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I think we hardly ever see offer sheets because they rarely work.
Teams bite the bullet, match the offer sheet.

They only lead to higher rfa salaries and pissed off feelings among front offices.

In nearly all cases, there's no winning scenario to the offer sheet. If you don't massively overpay on the contract, the team matches and all you've accomplished is to anger a GM who will be less inclined to treat you favorably in future negotiations. If you do massively overpay, best case scenario is that you have a massively overpaid player on your team, and you gave up assets to acquire them.

I can't think of a single instance when an offer sheet worked out favorably for the team that offered it.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
In nearly all cases, there's no winning scenario to the offer sheet. If you don't massively overpay on the contract, the team matches and all you've accomplished is to anger a GM who will be less inclined to treat you favorably in future negotiations. If you do massively overpay, best case scenario is that you have a massively overpaid player on your team, and you gave up assets to acquire them.

I can't think of a single instance when an offer sheet worked out favorably for the team that offered it.

I actually enjoyed the Oilers/Ducks fued. I wish it happened more often just for the entertainment factor.

ps *PHEW* on Nelson.

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I actually enjoyed the Oilers/Ducks fued. I wish it happened more often just for the entertainment factor.

ps *PHEW* on Nelson.

Oilers/Duck feud worked out pretty nicely for us, as it gave us the picks that allowed us to draft Hamonic and Petrov. Hopefully Petrov will turn out to be an asset, but even if not, getting Hamonic out of it all remains a pretty good outcome for us.

Islanders1932

Jul 16, 2006
Long Island
www.beyondthetestprep.com
The great thing about Brock is that he seems like a kid who learns the league and then improves on it. If you look at his stats he starts each league with a respectable point total and then the following year almost doubles his production. Unfortunately I didn't see a 3 year sequence to see his jump from 2 to 3. Just if his trends show anything, it is that he will continue to improve and get better and I'm very excited to have him locked up for 3 years.

This was not the case with a player like Jeff Tambellini who was drafted in a similar 1st round position. So hopefully Brock will continue to develop and if he starts a breakout year this year, we could really be a threat to make some noise come the end of the year. Really hoping he learns from that stretch of games where he was invisible and puts it all together to be able to dominate all year.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Am I the only one who would like to see him play on jt's wing?

Nelson- jt- strome

He would fit in very nicely with JT, but until Lee plays himself off that line I am happy with the way it the lines are constructed. It takes Cappy awhile to get simple things right, why mess with it now?

13th Floor

Oct 10, 2008
The lines are working right now why change it?

Agreed. 3 lines were rolling last night. Keep it as is.

It's only half the conversation to talk about where Nelson goes without talking about who takes Nelson's spot. Grabo and Kuli should be together. They like each other and it really helps their chemistry. It's best that we get Grabo contributing a lot because he's less versatile than Kulemin. And Nelson can actually drive play himself, which is helpful for that line. If Nelson swaps with Lee, Lee won't be able to do the same because he doesn't have the dynamism as Nelson.

With the 1st line producing, then why change it? It's incredibly difficult to play us when our THIRD scoring unit is scoring, getting breakways and penalty shots, and getting multiple scoring chances per game. That's against 3rd pairing defensemen. If the rookies/Straits/Zidclikys of the world are covering Grabo Kulemin and Nelson, they will score a lot. There's a reason why we've been scoring 5 goals a game over this winning streak. If it stops working, we have PLENTY of flexibility to change the lines.

As for Nelson himself... he's been the 2nd best forward this season.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY

It's only half the conversation to talk about where Nelson goes without talking about who takes Nelson's spot. Grabo and Kuli should be together. They like each other and it really helps their chemistry. It's best that we get Grabo contributing a lot because he's less versatile than Kulemin. And Nelson can actually drive play himself, which is helpful for that line. If Nelson swaps with Lee, Lee won't be able to do the same because he doesn't have the dynamism as Nelson.

With the 1st line producing, then why change it? It's incredibly difficult to play us when our THIRD scoring unit is scoring, getting breakways and penalty shots, and getting multiple scoring chances per game. That's against 3rd pairing defensemen. If the rookies/Straits/Zidclikys of the world are covering Grabo Kulemin and Nelson, they will score a lot. There's a reason why we've been scoring 5 goals a game over this winning streak. If it stops working, we have PLENTY of flexibility to change the lines.

Completely agree.

Remember all the nonsense regarding Nelson before he signed? It's funny how many people have changed their tune.

crasherino

May 9, 2013

+2. The Nelson/Grabo/Kulemin line has a nice balance. Skill, some physicality and definitely chemistry. And Lee brings the presence that is useful on the first line too.

Brock would thrive for sure on JT's wing, we've seen it before and, lets face it, who wouldn't? But the way those 2 lines are constructed fit like a puzzle piece. And then the Bailey/Fransy/KO line is tried and true for years.

Our forward lines look pretty good right now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad