Brock Nelson

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
It is interesting that Nelson is now plugged in at RW instead of LW like last year.

Have to wonder if Snow is seeing how replaceable Okposo is....

bmg97

Jul 8, 2011
He would fit in very nicely with JT,

No he wouldnt. Brocks game sucks. Take a good look when he plays. Guy never passes once he's over the blue line. Guy barely ever lays the body on someone too. His game is all around weak.

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
No he wouldnt. Brocks game sucks. Take a good look when he plays. Guy never passes once he's over the blue line. Guy barely ever lays the body on someone too. His game is all around weak.

Nelson is still not the same player after the injury last season. I'd swear you can see his game fall off a small cliff from that point on. But I know what he brings when he is 100% physically and mentally. I like his odds of growing back to that guy and improving.

goal1228

Jun 17, 2009
Agreed I thought he looked real good I think we have the best 4th line in the league with Nelson, Grabvoski and Kulemin we may have one of the best 3rd lines

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
i think Nelson has been ok. what seems to be lacking, is passion. that extra something. seems like he is robotic. expressionless.

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
i think Nelson has been ok. what seems to be lacking, is passion. that extra something. seems like he is robotic. expressionless.

This is Nelson. We used to laugh about Trottier looking very stoic when he played, couldn't read his emotions from his expression.
Nelson is still a young player starting his 2nd full NHL season (plus part of 1 two years ago). He will come to understand what he is capable of and how to get there.
The injuries he had last year (hand and wrist) which he played through, set him back. If you are expecting a physical power forward because he is 6'3" you will be disappointed. I have followed him since his freshman year at North Dakota, he is a skilled finesse player.
Playing with JT would teach him many things about how to maximize his capabilities. But as I said, it is Lee's job to lose. Right now I like his chances of keeping it because he appears to have improved his skating and speed.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
It is interesting that Nelson is now plugged in at RW instead of LW like last year.

Have to wonder if Snow is seeing how replaceable Okposo is....

I thought about that too and it's an interesting scenario. Moving Brock to RW, it's allowed him to concentrate on attacking the net with that pretty wicked shot of his - he can beat NHL goalies cold with it. He has the complete game to play center, but now that Grabovski can do the heavy lifting at center... Brock has simplified his game and concentrated on scoring goals. Brock is so versatile, he's like a better shoot first version of Bailey in that he can slot anywhere and be effective.

If KO is traded then Brock can move up into his vacated spot with Bails and Frans. Petrov can then slot in with Grabs and Kulemin. Bernier is still around as depth on the right side. It's gotta be an option for Garth.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
to be fair to Brock, we need to give him props for adjusting to playing his off wing. been there, and i can tell you that some adjust, and some can't. took a few games, but he (the entire line) have been very good, the past few games.

if he can play effectively at all 3 forward positions, it will be a boon to the team.

Tavares2TheRescue

#JreeFroadwayBay
Feb 6, 2010
Champaign, IL/LI, NY
You guys are watching a different Brock Nelson than I am. I think he has been one of the team's best all around forward so far in this young season. I thought his line was the superb against San Jose, in fact.

I agree. I remember one particular play where he held the puck by himself along the boards for a good ~30 seconds. Nothing came of it, but I just remember thinking, "Man, how do people think Brock doesn't play physically?"

A Pointed Stick

No Idea About The Future
Dec 23, 2010
I agree. I remember one particular play where he held the puck by himself along the boards for a good ~30 seconds. Nothing came of it, but I just remember thinking, "Man, how do people think Brock doesn't play physically?"

More physically. The entire second half of last season his physical play was clearly muted compared to what his version of 100% is. He was also more game to mix stuff up, be a pest. That has been absent for a while.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007

Because that's one play, and if you really watch his game closely you will see that for a guy his size, no one is softer on the puck more times than not. He's almost power-forward size and yet plays like a 5'9 finesse forward. He has so much potential, we all see that, but he plays like he doesn't want to reach it.

Because he's so likable hard to get angry with him, but he's a very frustrating player. Matt Martin is at his potential and gives 100% despite his limited physical skills. Brock should be a much better player than he is currently.

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
I know timing of my post is interesting since he had a hat trick last night, but Nelson's game is very frustrating. He doesn't hustle, doesn't hit, doesn't forecheck or backcheck. What he does have is an absolute laser of a shot. Nelson, Nielson and Clutterbuck seems to be the only ones on the team that can pick a corner with a shot.

How can someone with that have 38 hits on the year?

kmo429

Jul 22, 2011
I like Nelson at C, but if the choice is between Strome and Nelson as a C and the other at wing,l I'd go with Strome as C.

Obviously this is relevant in light of his hat trick last night, but it's good to see Nelson as one of the few Isles forwards who ahsn't taken an offensive step back this year. He's been the player we saw at the beginning of last year, but he seems to be doing it all more consistently. Hopefully he continues his pace throughout the rest of the year without hitting a sustained ice cold stretch like seemingly the last 2/3 of last season.

He's currently on pace for 32 goals and 19 assists. Assists would probably be higher if seemingly everyone around him wasn't in a prolonged slump. Regardless, since we drafted him I've always viewed him as a 30-30-60 type power forward if he reached his peak. Obviously, I wish hed use his size and strength in the dirty areas more, but I feel that part of his game will continue developing in the future. But for me it's very encouraging that he's doing what he is offensively at just 24 years old. It's not as often as people think that a late 1st rounder turns into a legit top 6 player, and I think Nelson is already there offensively.

Edit: Just for clarity, I agree with the post above. he is frustrating because he could be a very effective forechecker and power forward type if he'd hustle more and change his game a bit. Once again, I think a lot of that will coem with maturity, and a well-rounded game is almost impossible to expect from a forward at his age. You need to be pretty special to be 24 years old, on pace for 30 goals, and also a physical 2 way player. So I hope and believe the rest of his game will improve in time, but as of now, it's a big + how he has progressed as a scorer from year to year.

Macch

Mar 22, 2010
Always like Nelson better on the Wing, but last night was the best overall game i've seen him play at center.

He's hot right now. Hopefully more to come

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Brock is a shooter. Don't want to call him a sniper just yet, but if you're looking for him to contribute, it would be mainly as a shooter/goal scorer. He is not as limited as say Lee, but the other parts of his game are not exceptional. Passing, physicality, defense are average to be kind.
I have watched Brock since his freshman year at North Dakota. I caught as many UND games on TV as possible following him and Islander draft pick Jason Gregoire, so I saw approximately 15-20 games each of his two years there.
He improved greatly from freshman to sophomore year, but what we are seeing is what he always was. His size in the middle was a strength in college mainly due to his long reach. He can PK and skates pretty well, but I don't see him as an NHL center unless he can develop a passing game to set up his wingers.

periferal

Jul 5, 2007
Gosh....Brock has so much raw talent. And that shot! Jeez...It's seriously an elite shot.

What's frustrating about Brock is that he plays with lackluster energy. He's more opportunistic than high0end effort. There's no *jump* to his game. If he played with Hamonic's intensity/energy, man he could be a 1st line player in this league. He's got great size, above average skater, good hockey sense, elite shot...All the elements you want from a forward in the NHL. Now he needs to get his motor going every shift if he wants to reach his potential.

Spybot

May 12, 2014
Saw this on the main boards. In case you didn't know how well that pick was used.

In fairness, he did later clarify that he was an Oilers fan so of course would not move their 1st.

Reality is, people do overvalue late 1sts...say in the 20-30 range.

Since 2010, only 1 player drafted in the 20-30 range has a 40+ point season under their belt....Brock Nelson at 42...who did it last year. And of course Kuznetsov will this year. So that is 2.

So someone saying Schenn couldn't get a 1st is absurd when in reality, whoever gets picked in this draft 20-30, will likely never get to 40 points 5years after being drafted.

Hell...start at 2008. There have only been 5 forwards in the last 7 drafts drafted in the 20-30 range that have ever had a 40 point season. 5. Less than 1 a draft.

Dig deeper. Last 10 drafts, there have only been 10 players to get to 40 points drafted in that range.

We all hope we draft the next Giroux, MaxP, Eberle, etc...with those picks, but we are much more likely to get the Patrick White, Antin Gustuffson, Angelo Esposito, Daultan Leveille, etc...of the world.

If your team drafts in the 20-30 range, getting a 40 point player is rare and you are likely the only team to do so. Scary, but true. It doesn't seem like it on draft day or even draft+1 years, but that's how it ends up.

Renbarg

Feb 24, 2007
NY
he seriously may have a top 10 shot in the NHL....

It's very strong for sure, but it's also an old school wrister, that he loads up. Lot like kovalev in style vs the kessel snappers that are popular today. All it means is he just needs a little more time but it's deadly if he gets that extra half second.

Not saying he doesn't have a new school snapper just that his best shot is definitely that wrister.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
Nelson is 2 goals away from last years total. Pretty impressive. Hopefully we'll see at least 30 goals out of him.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Gosh....Brock has so much raw talent. And that shot! Jeez...It's seriously an elite shot.

What's frustrating about Brock is that he plays with lackluster energy. He's more opportunistic than high0end effort. There's no *jump* to his game. If he played with Hamonic's intensity/energy, man he could be a 1st line player in this league. He's got great size, above average skater, good hockey sense, elite shot...All the elements you want from a forward in the NHL. Now he needs to get his motor going every shift if he wants to reach his potential.

I agree, he just really needs to start getting his nose dirty shift in and shift out.

He has the potential to be a Toews-eqsue puck hound with his speed and size, but he coasts on backchecks too frequently and tries to reach around guys inside of getting inside position. He could be a really solid 50-60 point forward if he figures some things out.

doublechili

For all intensive purposes, your nuts
Apr 11, 2006
I get the impression that Nelson's shot is also sneaky/deceptive. He doesn't telegraph where it's going and goalies seem to have trouble picking up on it right away.

BTW, am I the only one who believes that if you have confidence your shot will go in the net, it is more likely to actually go in? And the converse is true. See JT right now. And Bailey all the time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad