Brock Nelson

BillD

Feb 12, 2004
Didn't one of the players speak directly to Wang to ask for a slight extension for Bailey? I don't know if that happened for Josh, but it did happen to one of the Group II hold outs a few years ago. Wang granted the extension with the explanation that it was a one time thing ONLY because one of the players requested it on behalf of the team.

I recall that and it was early in Wang's ownership. I believe it was a young Chara who was given a pass.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I disagree. I don't think he's doing anything wrong. Also, this whole sign by camp or sit out the whole year is a BS policy by the Isles. Don't know how the NHLPA isn't all over this. I think he will sign at the last second, but this policy is BS.

Wang has owned the team since 2000.

In 15 yrs, the isles have had 1 player locked out for the whole season.
Even that player, Bergenheim, came back to play several more yrs in the organization.

Those numbers just do not support your comment ,that it is a BS policy. It has done it's job, kept rfa holdouts down.

Lame Lambert

Fire Lou
Mar 5, 2015
I'm not against it actually, prevents holdouts which are always a distraction. The coach and GM and players know the team they have the day camp starts, period.

Exactly. Without that rule Nelson would have some leverage, now he doesn't. Really important in the salary cap era.

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town

Even that player, Bergenheim, came back to play several more yrs in the organization.

Those numbers just do not support your comment ,that it is a BS policy. It has done it's job, kept rfa holdouts down.[/QUOTE
Islander fans better get use to these holdouts because you are going to deal with them a lot in the next few years.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002

Those numbers just do not support your comment ,that it is a BS policy. It has done it's job, kept rfa holdouts down.[/QUOTE
Islander fans better get use to these holdouts because you are going to deal with them a lot in the next few years.

Training camp does not open until Sept. 17th.
Today is Sept 13, How about we wait until Nelson is actually holding out/locked out, before climbing on tbe ledge?

And having had 1 locked out player in 15 yrs, I am not convinced that we are going to see a bunch of locked out , nyi rfa over tbe next several yrs.
Other then some hunch, what makes you to think this?

warrior60

Dec 24, 2010
Hockey Town
Training camp does not open until Sept. 17th.
Today is Sept 13, How about we wait until Nelson is actually holding out/locked out, before climbing on tbe ledge?

And having had 1 locked out player in 15 yrs, I am not convinced that we are going to see a bunch of locked out , nyi rfa over tbe next several yrs.
Other then some hunch, what makes you to think this?
All these first round draft picks are going to demand a lot more then the 4-5th rounders his is use to dealing with.

PWJunior

Stay safe!
Apr 11, 2010
Long Island, NY
All these first round draft picks are going to demand a lot more then the 4-5th rounders his is use to dealing with.

Strome will be the only one looking for a new deal next year. After him, it's going to be a couple of years before any of the 1st rounders will be finishing their ELC's. Where's the problem here because I'm not seeing it.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com

Islanders have been getting high first round picks for the last 15 years lol....too many of us are used to it. Don't know why you are acting like suddenly we have a plethora of first round picks to deal with. You already sound like speaking with a lack of knowledge of the franchise...

islescoop

Jul 24, 2011
What is everyone's prediction? Just sign an identical contract to Anders Lee and let's move on...

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Prediction is either A) He signs B) He gets traded to FLA for another RFA in the same position. Huberdeau. Quite frankly id rather see B)

LOL They'd give Snow the GM of the Year Trophy the minute Huberdeau touched down in NY. No way that one's happening :laugh:

Maybe Brock had a really good Week 1 on DraftKings, and feels he can hold out longer?

TheWhiteWhale30

Dec 3, 2007
LOL They'd give Snow the GM of the Year Trophy the minute Huberdeau touched down in NY. No way that one's happening :laugh:

Maybe Brock had a really good Week 1 on DraftKings, and feels he can hold out longer?

Don't be so sure about that. We have plenty of movable pieces. Wether it be roster players like Grabner or a prospect or BST or draft picks. You seem to have quickly forgotten what Snow is capable of. Will it happen prob not..can it ? Absolutely and without hurting our team. Huberdeau for Nelson + Grabner + 3rd pick in 2016. That's not far off from a done deal on both sides.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Riseonfire

Josh Bailey! GAME ONE, TO THE ISLAND!!!
Nov 8, 2009
What is everyone's prediction? Just sign an identical contract to Anders Lee and let's move on...

He should sign the presumable 1-year 'Prove it' deal like Lee had, and THEN sign a similar contract.

I think he'll sign. Him and his agent are just playing their part. I'm not worried.

Brunomics

Sep 2, 2006
It was Chara who got the reprieve. In 2000 a group of players led by John Vanbiesbrouck lobbied Charles Wang to relent and allow Zdeno Chara to play even though he didn't sign by the Wang-imposed deadline.

http://www.nydailynews.com/archives...ve-isles-sign-chara-isbister-article-1.887978

It's funny how back then the deadline was used because the owner wanted to lowball the **** out of players and force them to take a bad deal. Now it's just to get everyone in camp on time(I doubt Snow's lowballing him).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad