Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion Part V

Status
Not open for further replies.

superyan

Aug 13, 2013
There's a new place called beerport, five minute walk from the arena. I haven't been yet, but looks good if you like craft beer. They also serve either wood fired or brick oven pizza. It's always packed!

Thanks for the recommendation. It was exactly what I was looking for. Good beer and amazing pizza.

Only thing I found odd was there were no TVs and they only served pizza. When I asked the bartended, why.... the answer was just because. It was just odd.

If I go to Bridgeport again, I'll probably go back.

eoin92

Jun 14, 2013
Can anyone list the Bridgeport lines and defensive pairings now that their season has started?

Rowe-St. Denis-Ho-Sang
Dal Colle-Kearns-Fritz
Winquist-C. Jones-Markison
Johnston-Schempp-Holmstrom

Pelech-Mayfield
Toews-Pulock
Lafranchise-Burroughs

http://m.soundtigers.com/mobile/ViewArticle.dbml?SPID=0&ATCLID=211235917&DB_OEM_ID=22700
The Bridgeport Sound Tigers (1-1-0-0) opened their 16th season in the American Hockey League last weekend with a pair of home games against division rivals at Webster Bank Arena.
Bridgeport earned its first points of the season on Saturday with an opening-night victory against the Providence Bruins in front of 5,012 electric fans. Christopher Gibson was nearly perfect in net, stopping 38 of the 39 shots he faced en route to the victory in his 100th AHL appearance. Offensively, Ross Johnston scored the Sound Tigers first goal of the season late in the second period, while Bracken Kearns recorded the game-winner midway through the third. Matt Bartkowski netted the Bruins only tally with just 1:12 left in regulation for the 2-1 final.
Less than 24 hours later, the Sound Tigers and Springfield Thunderbirds battled to another one-goal decision, but this time, the visitors escaped with the 2-1 victory. Kane Lafranchise notched Bridgeport’s only goal late in the third period, while Stephon Williams suffered the loss with 23 saves on 25 shots. Brody Sutter tipped in the game-winner midway through the third as the Thunderbirds won their first regular-season game in franchise history.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
3 goals in 2 games. Looking almost just like the parent club.

That said, on paper, that is a fairly brutal AHL line-up. Lacks of experience as well as prospects (at least up front).

On the other hand, at least 5 of our own picks were manning the blueline.

I'm fairly surprised to see St. Denis already deemed good enough for top 6 ice time.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011

That said, on paper, that is a fairly brutal AHL line-up. Lacks of experience as well as prospects (at least up front).

I'm fairly surprised to see St. Denis already deemed good enough for top 6 ice time.

That's likely due to the lack of depth.

charlie1

It's all McDonald's
Dec 7, 2013
How's Michael Dal Sang and Josh Ho-Colle looking so far?

I watched their opener vs Providence. Ho-Sang was clearly the best skater and stick handler on the ice. Those are already NHL level skills for him. He made some really nice passes and had a few prime scoring chances. He also showed that he needs work away from the puck. He made a couple of gaffes there including blowing his defensive assignment on the PP which led to a breakaway. That should improve with time though, as long as he puts in the effort.

Dal Colle wasn't really noticeable to me. It's still not clear whether he has the agility and explosiveness to be effective at even this level. We shall see I guess.

St. Denis reminded me a bit of Joe Whitney. Tiny guy (5'7'' I think) but with a great motor, good skills, and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. He also had a few bad penalties which seemed to be the result of trying too hard. He'll be interesting to watch although I doubt he ever makes it to the NHL given his stature.

Overall Bridgeport's defense is fine, their goaltending is good enough, but their offense is lacking a consistent AHL scorer. Right now all they have is Kearns and the rest are either 3rd/4th liners, or they're still learning their craft. Sort of sounds like the big club after all!

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
MDC has been on the ice for 2 of the 3 goals BP has let up this season and is a -2 early in the season. I think one goal against was a PP so he's been out there for all the even strength goals against BP in the young season. Just taking it at face value.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
There is absolutely no excuse our fifth overall pick literally done nothing to warrant praise.

I am a huge Dal Colle supporter, but I'm starting to worry a bit.

rikker

Jun 6, 2003
Visit site
There is absolutely no excuse our fifth overall pick literally done nothing to warrant praise.

I am a huge Dal Colle supporter, but I'm starting to worry a bit.

i think it's all about his skating, tbh. i saw his legs and they are chicken-like. my reasoning may not be too sound, based on the comparison of human and animal body parts, but i think he needs to work on his skating more.

just an uneducated guess...

Konk

Mar 11, 2008
This is for anyone who is just starting to watch MDC play. Don't turn on him yet, although I'm starting to see a Reinhart-like impatience starting up. Yes, his skating isn't great. Yes, he needs to work on his strength and conditioning. Yes, he needs to work on his defense. You can glean all of that from practices, pre-season, etc. But you don't get a sense of what MDC brings until you put him with another smart, skilled player like Ho-Sang. He's a goal scorer, that's prettt much it. He knows how to put the puck in the net. Everything else can and will be worked on, but in the end... we don't have many pure goal scorers. MDC is that. For a fanbase that likes to hype up their prospects and then chew them up and spit them out if they don't score 50 goals on day 1 one after juniors, please have some patience and give MDC a chance. He may even need two full AHL seasons, but I think he'll be fine and his best attribute is what we need the most.

IslandersFan17

Jun 8, 2011
Long Island
That def was a nifty little play.

Weird and maybe silly question but what is with the number change for those guys? I loved the #71 on Dal Colle and the #66 on Ho Sang

Sneekypete

Mar 10, 2008
Branford,Ct
www.mprete.com
No one talks about goalies much, Gibson could be a solid NHL goalie in a couple years. He could definitely be an NHL back up right now. Positioning is good and so and his lateral movement seems very good and agile.

JZCislesHockey

Jul 29, 2013
Long Island, NY
That def was a nifty little play.

Weird and maybe silly question but what is with the number change for those guys? I loved the #71 on Dal Colle and the #66 on Ho Sang

Looking at Bport's roster, it seems like they don't like giving out high numbers. Although Ho-Sang did wear 26 with Niagara. Interestingly enough Strome did wear 81 with BST last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad