Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
It’s a miracle
Yes, it is still mind-boggling that they just won their only 5th game, we need to be patient and hope that Wally continues his hot streak and all players develop accordingly.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
If Kieffer Bellows doesn’t figure out his way at this level the Tigers will have trouble scoring all year.

What's holding Bellows back?

Low hockey IQ? Poor defensive effort? Lazy habits?

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

Last season Bellows effort on a top line was 100%. Definitely not lazy. He would get power play time but seemed snake bit. His goals came in bunches, but there really wasn't enough production for someone drafted where he was. This year in the 3 games I saw Bellows, he was skating with Jeff Kubiak which effectively leaves Bellows on the 3rd line. He was mostly unnoticeable in those games. Kubiak is an AHL lifer who isn't driving offense.

Bellows doesn't skate well enough to get in position to use his shot at even strength. That is the problem for him, IMO.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011

His skating hasn't improved much. That's the bottom line. He also doesn't protect the puck well to put himself in positions to use his best asset, his heavy shot. Bellows has been passed up by so many other islanders as a call up.

It's a shame but it is what is is. I recall @ the start of barrys first season bellows was close to making the team out of camp. Had two nice preseason goals, both high slot / nice shot goals.

Hanging the kid with his draft status is just dumb. Being drafted by snow in the first round @ #19 isn't on bellows. If he turns into a roster player bottom 6 forward in 1-3 years, that's just fine for the organization.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
His skating hasn't improved much. That's the bottom line. He also doesn't protect the puck well to put himself in positions to use his best asset, his heavy shot. Bellows has been passed up by so many other islanders as a call up.

It's a shame but it is what is is. I recall @ the start of barrys first season bellows was close to making the team out of camp. Had two nice preseason goals, both high slot / nice shot goals.

Hanging the kid with his draft status is just dumb. Being drafted by snow in the first round @ #19 isn't on bellows. If he turns into a roster player bottom 6 forward in 1-3 years, that's just fine for the organization.
Well said.

MichaelK

Mar 13, 2004

At the 2016 Draft, Bellows was one of the BPA by the experts when we picked. It wasn’t like we went off the board. Also, looking at the latter half of Round 1 that year man is it ugly.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
At the 2016 Draft, Bellows was one of the BPA by the experts when we picked. It wasn’t like we went off the board. Also, looking at the latter half of Round 1 that year man is it ugly.

Yea, that's true. Bellows wasn't an off the board pick per say. But, we know how a lot of fans are. "Oh he was a first round pick and he's not the next sidney crosby? BUST".......

I choose to focus on the positives. We have guys like Bode Wilde, Holmstrom, Wahlstrom who have a chance to be big time impact players. Koivula has graduated to the next level of pro ahl / nhl experience @ only 21. Bellows not being the great scorer we were hoping for isn't going to hurt as much as it would if we didn't those other fellas.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
I appreciate the scouting reports. Bellows name came up in last season's TDL rumors. I think it was in the Hoffman to LI rumors.

We have seen other bad skaters improve (when they are willing to put in the effort). Hopefully, Bellows puts in the work and is a late bloomer.
Depressing to think we have MDC 2.0 to look forward to.

DalGoal4Cups

Meet me at Belmont
Dec 4, 2011
I appreciate the scouting reports. Bellows name came up in last season's TDL rumors. I think it was in the Hoffman to LI rumors.

We have seen other bad skaters improve (when they are willing to put in the effort). Hopefully, Bellows puts in the work and is a late bloomer.

AHL all star PPG AHL player MDC? Please, let me know when bellows gets close to that level. At that point, there would be renewed hope for him to be offensively productive at the NHL level.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Yea, that's true. Bellows wasn't an off the board pick per say. But, we know how a lot of fans are. "Oh he was a first round pick and he's not the next sidney crosby? BUST".......

I choose to focus on the positives. We have guys like Bode Wilde, Holmstrom, Wahlstrom who have a chance to be big time impact players. Koivula has graduated to the next level of pro ahl / nhl experience @ only 21. Bellows not being the great scorer we were hoping for isn't going to hurt as much as it would if we didn't those other fellas.
When you draft top 5 players and they don’t become really good players that really hurts a franchise. If bellows only becomes a bottom six forward that’s fine. I’ll always give Snow credit for one thing. He traded a complete bust in reinhart for Barzal who they loved and Tito who is becoming a very good player. I’m optimistic about Wally as he came up and looked very confident just looked snake bit. In last few games with the islanders Wally looked a bit tentative. Afraid to make a mistake. Did not see Most of yesterday’s game but Koivula also looked very tentative in his first few games. From reading posts in the game thread Otto played his best game so far last night.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

MDC was actually a good player in the AHL. Bellows isn't anywhere near that good at that level.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
MDC was actually a good player in the AHL. Bellows isn't anywhere near that good at that level.
Geez. And I've been gnashing my teeth that Bellows may become another MDC ( who I am extremely disappointed in) :eek:

MDC/JHS/Bellows...not 1 impact player among them. And fair or unfair, I am not a Thompson fan.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Geez. And I've been gnashing my teeth that Bellows may become another MDC ( who I am extremely disappointed in) :eek:

MDC/JHS/Bellows...not 1 impact player among them. And fair or unfair, I am not a Thompson fan.
No one is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad