Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. III

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
So, let's take a look at who is scheduled for BPort in 20-21. I will include the RFAs I see us holding onto:

Bellows - Koivula - Wahlstrom
Durandeau - Carpenter - Fritz
Bibeau - Bardreau - Holmstrom
Jenkins - Jobst - Coskey
MacLean

RFA Aho - RFA Hutton
RFA Wotherspoon - RFA Vande Sompel
Bolduc - Wilde
Brubacher

Skarek
XXX

Interesting, this is INCLUDING AHL signees. The only one that had a valid contract entering the 20-21 season was Schilkey, but it looks like they dissolved the contract.

What I'd like to see:
There are three CHLers of note for me right now who are about to enter their second, if not third, draft. I'm not sure any will get drafted. If they don't I'd like to see them signed to AHL contracts, much like MacLean was given.

Last edited:
Reactions: brachyrynchos

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
What's up with Tanner Fritz?
Not much to talk about. He was injured the majority of the AHL season. Getting injury info out of the AHL is difficult enough. If Michael Fornabaio or Alan Fuehring don’t tweet it out its not likely to be out there at all.

Fritz is entering the last year of his Islanders contract so we should see him at camp in 2021.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
Geez, like when will we actually hear anything about the AHL?

Can't imagine it'll be anywhere other than on the back burner until the NHL stuff is clarified.

This said, I was looking forward to seeing Coskey, Bibeau, MacLean and AHL signee Brubacher on the farm.
I guess that was the start of any AHL movement. Probably most of the moves will happen after NHL free agency gets going. For now should be some AHL lifers signing with teams on veteran contracts and maybe some guys signing in Europe.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
Still under contract.

Lost all but 4 (scoreless) AHL games last season to injury.

Should be 100% healed at this point.

Not much to talk about. He was injured the majority of the AHL season. Getting injury info out of the AHL is difficult enough. If Michael Fornabaio or Alan Fuehring don’t tweet it out its not likely to be out there at all.

Fritz is entering the last year of his Islanders contract so we should see him at camp in 2021.

Are you guys sure it was an injury? It's been sooo many months but I thought it was personal reasons.

EDIT:
"Bridgeport lost a potential No. 1 centerman, Tanner Fritz, to a lower-body injury just five games into the season. Nothing further has been disclosed about it, but there’s no sign that Fritz is returning anytime soon"

Continual injuries hamper Sound Tigers season

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013
Are you guys sure it was an injury? It's been sooo many months but I thought it was personal reasons.

EDIT:
"Bridgeport lost a potential No. 1 centerman, Tanner Fritz, to a lower-body injury just five games into the season. Nothing further has been disclosed about it, but there’s no sign that Fritz is returning anytime soon"

Pretty sure Staple reported it as well, and it was a big reason Koivula was called up. Trotz likes Fritz so I'm sure he would've been given the nod had he been healthy. Now he's fallen down the depth chart and is likely to never be seen again in the NHL wearing an Islanders sweater.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC

EDIT:

Pretty sure it was an injury. I think I remember reading it was a knee into the boards type of deal.

IslesNorway

Apr 9, 2007
Nittedal, Norway
Fritz has another year on his contract and I think the Trotz had planned for him to spend most of his time in the NHL this past season, but the injury prevented that. If they can bury the likes of Ladd and Komarov in the AHL, we might see more of Fritz with the Isles, if only for cap reasons really

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Fritz has another year on his contract and I think the Trotz had planned for him to spend most of his time in the NHL this past season, but the injury prevented that. If they can bury the likes of Ladd and Komarov in the AHL, we might see more of Fritz with the Isles, if only for cap reasons really

Gonna be pretty hard to bury Ladd, Hickey, and Komarov.

No AHL team can ice more than three players with over 245 games of "pro" ice hockey experience at any one time.

Guess it's possible, but I think things are tight in light of guys like Fritz and Bardreau and Wotherspoon, etc. still being on contract.

steveat

Jun 4, 2011
At worst Ladd, Hickey Komarov are great depth which EVERY team needs. We can lose a player and not worry about calling up an inexperienced player.

Also, I could see every one of the Dmen in the AHL make it to the NHL except maybe Brubacher.

Ladd, when healthy can step into any line, Hickey can take top 4 min if necessary and Komarov is super defensively sound. ..ANY of these players deserves to play ahead of MDC.

MJF

Hope is not a strategy
Sep 6, 2003
NYC
At worst Ladd, Hickey Komarov are great depth which EVERY team needs. We can lose a player and not worry about calling up an inexperienced player.

Also, I could see every one of the Dmen in the AHL make it to the NHL except maybe Brubacher.

Ladd, when healthy can step into any line, Hickey can take top 4 min if necessary and Komarov is super defensively sound. ..ANY of these players deserves to play ahead of MDC.
I'll take issue with 2 of your points.

Thomas Hickey can't take top-4 minutes anymore. Not even for 1 game. When he had to step in for Johnny Boychuk in last year's playoffs he was brutal. Hickey was a poor skater when he got here and he didn't get any better over the years. Besides he would have to slot in for another defenseman's roster spot, not Dal Colle's. And remember, Hickey didn't make the team this year and that was on merit.

As for Leo, I've been put off by some of his decisions under pressure in his own zone, as well as a penchant for taking stupid penalties. Yes he's still a decent penalty killer and can play center in a pinch (not that you'd want that for more than a few shifts), but I think Dal Colle is defensively sound too.

Agreed about Andrew Ladd though. I'd have no problems with him dressing ahead of MDC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->