Bridgeport Sound Tigers Discussion 2019-20 Pt. II

Status
Not open for further replies.

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
5-1 is the final in favor of Springfield. First period was fine but the bad start to the second and a really bad third sealed their fate. You can definitely tell this is a young and inexperienced team. They play really fast and you can tell they have a ton of skill, but they’re extremely raw and it’ll take time for them to learn to get their nerves controlled when playing under pressure.

I think I jinxed the defense by saying how solid they looked early on. Witherspoon and Hickey both had rough games (Hickey’s night ended early after a hit to the head), Aho looked alright.

Definitely some positives out of the game on offense though. I thought Holmstrom was the teams best forward. He didn’t looked intimidated by playing in his first pro game at all and I was very impressed with his skill and poise. Koivula had a good game but kind of disappeared a bit later on. Bellows and Wahlstrom played well, especially Wally who seems to be wanting to shoot the puck more.

Reactions: dood and Rengi

Rengi

Jan 16, 2007
5-1 is the final in favor of Springfield. First period was fine but the bad start to the second and a really bad third sealed their fate. You can definitely tell this is a young and inexperienced team. They play really fast and you can tell they have a ton of skill, but they’re extremely raw and it’ll take time for them to learn to get their nerves controlled when playing under pressure.

I think I jinxed the defense by saying how solid they looked early on. Witherspoon and Hickey both had rough games (Hickey’s night ended early after a hit to the head), Aho looked alright.

Definitely some positives out of the game on offense though. I thought Holmstrom was the teams best forward. He didn’t looked intimidated by playing in his first pro game at all and I was very impressed with his skill and poise. Koivula had a good game but kind of disappeared a bit later on. Bellows and Wahlstrom played well, especially Wally who seems to be wanting to shoot the puck more.

That sums it up very well, great assumptions! I see it the same way!

Reactions: islesfan3913

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
This is dirty as hell. Head all the way. Hickey had his head down but does not matter. I hope this guy a beating and I hope Hickey is ok.

SI

Feb 16, 2013
This is dirty as hell. Head all the way. Hickey had his head down but does not matter. I hope this guy a beating and I hope Hickey is ok.

It looks brutal. I hope he is OK with the concussion from last season... not good.

Getting blown out like this - when is Brent Thompson going to put on the hot seat.

Holmstrom looked good tonight and not out of place.

Reactions: SI90

Kvashin

Aug 14, 2005
Brent Thompson needs to ruin more prospects first. Seems like he’s coach for life down there. Does he have tenure or something?

PK Cronin

Bailey Fan Club Prez
Feb 11, 2013

Did any Sound Tigers player respond to that? Someone should've stepped in after that type of hit, especially on someone like Hickey.

Reactions: Rengi

islesfan3913

Apr 5, 2011
Orange County, NY
Lines today at Hartford for BST:

Bellows-Koivula-Wahlstrom
Lorito-St. Denis-Schilkey
Holmstrom-Jobst-Fritz
Bourque-Bardreau-McDonald

Aho-Burroughs
Hickey-Hutton
Helgeson-Wotherspoon

Gibson

Got a late start watching this one but it’s already 1-0 Hartford seven minutes in.

GoIsles1

Sep 12, 2018
Sound Tigers losing as usual no matter who they have. How much longer does this franchise have to be subjected to Brent Thompson?

Reactions: SI

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
I’d prefer wahlstrom not work with our first round killer (Brent Thompson).

Pulock - Good player
CDH - Good player
MDC - Regressed after draft before playing for Thompson, and and grew under Thompson.
Bellows - Regressed after draft before playing for Thompson, still plenty of time to grow as a player.
JHS - Still suffers from same issues that were known when drafted and that caused numerous teams to put him on their DND lists.
Reinhart - Fair enough on this one, but if you can't recover your career from 59 games, I highly question if you had what it takes in the first place.

His track record isn't flawless with first rounders, but doesn't really seem to have a trend of ruining them to me either. The bigger trend I see is drafting players with known footspeed issues.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and MJF

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Pulock - Good player
CDH - Good player
MDC - Regressed after draft before playing for Thompson, and and grew under Thompson.
Bellows - Regressed after draft before playing for Thompson, still plenty of time to grow as a player.
JHS - Still suffers from same issues that were known when drafted and that caused numerous teams to put him on their DND lists.
Reinhart - Fair enough on this one, but if you can't recover your career from 59 games, I highly question if you had what it takes in the first place.

His track record isn't flawless with first rounders, but doesn't really seem to have a trend of ruining them to me either. The bigger trend I see is drafting players with known footspeed issues.

Our drafting certainty hasn’t been great in the forward department but it feels like forever (since Lee Nelson) that we’ve had top six forward come out of the bridge. defenseman have grown down there for sure though.

Just hope wahlstrom excels down there this season because we need him to hit his potential

Seph

Sep 5, 2002
Oregon
Visit site
Our drafting certainty hasn’t been great in the forward department but it feels like forever (since Lee Nelson) that we’ve had top six forward come out of the bridge. defenseman have grown down there for sure though.

Just hope wahlstrom excels down there this season because we need him to hit his potential
True, but there is some selection bias at play here as well. The best forward prospects these days tend to go straight to the NHL from juniors/Europe/NCAA, so if they spend a significant amount of time in the AHL, that means they have some areas they need to improve before they're NHL ready, so there are already issues at that point. In this case, Bellows and MDC both have footspeed issues and lack the dynamic talent to drive their own offense, and JHS, well, we all know the issues there. So few of the Islanders' high drafted forwards have really played with Thompson. The only forward drafted by the Islanders in the top 3 rounds to play even half a season worth of games for Thompson other than the 3 listed above is Sundstrom.

He hasn't been working miracles down there, but he hasn't had a lot to work with either. And while it's a small sample size, Wahlstrom is putting up goals and points at a higher rate under Thompson than he did in the NCAA.

Last edited:
Reactions: dood and MJF

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Regarding Thompson:
Look around the AHL. Tell us what coaches are "creating" NHLers left and right. Or even at a regular and reliable pace.

I think Thompson is very respected around the pro development community and compares favorably in the grand scheme of things.

And if we're playing the "who has he coached who made it to the NHL" game, the list is very positive in comparison to most of his peers.

BUT what we don't take into consideration are how easy it is for the organization to work with him and how little stress they have him as an important member of the personnel chain. That kind of thing plays a role and likely is very much a reason why they're in NO rush to part ways with him.

This all said, some guys are on their way to the NHL one way or another while others are not, regardless of where they're drafted. Others need molding and slow maturing over the course of 2-3 AHL seasons. When we see what Pulock, Pelech, Mayfield, and Toews are doing, that ALONE would be an argument to have this guy keep doing whatever he's doing down there.

I know that I have no worries about Aho, Hutton, Wotherspoon, Vande Sompel, and - at some point - Wilde. If they've got what it takes to be an NHLer, he's busy doing what's necessary to get them ready to be just that.

As for forwards, I've sometimes had my worries, but Lee, Nelson, Cizikas, and Martin were all guys who spent a good chunk of time with Thompson before becoming NHLers. Nielsen too. And Okposo a little bit as well, and that was despite the "turmoil" surrounding his being pulled out of college.

I think Wahlstrom will be very Ok. And Koivula sure isn't suffering by being under Thompson's tutelage.

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Will Aho or Hickey be the first callup if a Dman is injured?

Hickey, then probably Hutton, then probably Aho.

Hickey will be the first regardless, but after that it probably depends on who is injured.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Hickey, then probably Hutton, then probably Aho.

Hickey will be the first regardless, but after that it probably depends on who is injured.
would that have to put him on waivers again if he got sent down again?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad