Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
I thought for sure they were going to sign Bernier. I thought Elliott made perfect sense for the Jets to play in tandem with Hellebuyck. I also though Mason was damn near a lock to go to the Flames. Looks like I was wrong on all of those :D

I don't think we thought Elliott could be had for that cheap. If that's what his cost actually is.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
If the St Louis system is so great, how come when Allen became the starter last year he only put up .915%. The two years they shared duties Elliott put up a higher save % (.930 to .920, .917 to .913.).

Elliott is not a great goalie, but he's not a product of St Louis.
He's your basic 1 tier backup/2nd tier starter.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Has the price been mentioned?
Oh and as far as credibility goes, why would I care if I have your approval of my opinion. You disagree and that's fine. There's plenty of crap spewed on here that would make pretty much everyone lose it at one point or another. I've seen quite a few posts from you but I don't sit here posting like An internet tough guy. Elliot is a cap waste in my opinion. Let me know the numbers and maybe my feelings would change a little....just don't expect much from him if he's the starter.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If the St Louis system is so great, how come when Allen became the starter last year he only put up .915%. The two years they shared duties Elliott put up a higher save % (.930 to .920, .917 to .913.).

:nod:

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
early rumors are that mason is going to jets for 2 years at 4M

Haven't heard a peep here ??

Wouldn't surprise me tho, I've always said he will get less money and he really doesn't have many options. Also confirms the situation in Philly must have been real bad

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters

And who is the better goalie now?

Fire Tortorella

Formerly Flyersfan1406
Apr 2, 2010
PA
Would prefer Bernier but can't really complain either way. Cap hit is low enough that either he or Neuvirth could be moved if one of the prospects force their way onto the team at some point.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Another interesting note.
Chad Johnson had a .920% in Buffalo, .910 in Calgary, same as Elliott.
Maybe it was less the goalies than the Calgary defense?

The league average the last two years was .915 and .913.
Flyers was .905.
So I think we'd be happy with .910-.915, which really isn't asking too much of Elliott/Neuvirth.

That would be 12-25 fewer goals allowed.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Calgary had Giordano, Hamilton, & Brodie this past year. Not many teams can beat that threesome. Not just that but they had one of the best defensive centers in the league in Backlund. Who had Tkachuk & Frolik on his wings which was one of the most dominant two-way lines in the league this past year.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If that's true then Hextall and/or Mason never had any interest in him returning to the Flyers. I also find it ironic that he had a temper tantrum at the end of the year about not being named the number 1 goalie and now he is choosing to sign with Winnipeg and likely share the job with Connor Hellebuyck.
Supply and demand. No team was going to cater to Mason's demands after the season he had.

Stolarz will be 24 in January in his 3rd AHL season.

If he has another mediocre year, he'll be branded as an average AHL goalie, if you can't put up .920+ in the AHL, what does that project to the NHL? To be viewed as a potential NHL starter, he has to be one of the two or three best starting goalies in the AHL.
If Hextall thought nothing of Stolarz he wouldn't have protected him from the expansion draft. A 23 year old goalie is still a baby. He has one more year of being waiver exempt. The Flyers would be foolish not to let him play another full season in the AHL as opposed to having him sit on the bench in the NHL.

AHL SV% does not translate to the NHL. Carey Price posted a .896 SV% in the AHL and later that year he was .920 in the NHL. Just go through the league and look at the goalies that outperformed their AHL numbers- Stolarz, Talbot, Dell, Holtby, Dubnyk, Crawford...

It's almost like goalies benefit from structure, good responsible players that manage the puck well and limit odd man rushes. Scott Gordon's system was the complete opposite. It was pond hockey. I wouldn't expect someone who doesn't watch the games, and instead spits his assumptions out all day, to recognize that though.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Isn't it funny that some random guy in Vancouver talked about this last night on sports radio and then a St. Louis Blues beat guy reported potential terms of the deal? Meanwhile the Flyers beats, well, they are there.

Hurricane28

Angry Flyers STH/Weather Guy
Aug 22, 2012
South Jersey
I believe this report more than the Vancouver rumor. Maybe the StL reporter has a source in the Elliott camp from his days there

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Another interesting note.
Chad Johnson had a .920% in Buffalo, .910 in Calgary, same as Elliott.
Maybe it was less the goalies than the Calgary defense?

The league average the last two years was .915 and .913.
Flyers was .905.
So I think we'd be happy with .910-.915, which really isn't asking too much of Elliott/Neuvirth.

That would be 12-25 fewer goals allowed.

Speak for yourself. Getting to .917 and above needs to the goal.

healthyscratch

Jun 19, 2007
Philly
Hexy must really think he's the answer because if he's not Hexy won't be here to see the end of that contract.

200w.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad