Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

OriginJM

matt stromes skating coach
Feb 4, 2010
Oh boy. Don't know how I feel about this.

Not the worst goalie out there but 3 years...?

Edit: Awesome cap hit though.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
In theory, 3 years mean he's the stop gap for Hart/Sandstrom. Would have to dump Neuvy next year to keep Stolarz in the picture.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Oh boy. Don't know how I feel about this.

Not the worst goalie out there but 3 years...?

I thought the same thing initially but then other said they might plan on him being a mentor/tandem goalie with one of the prospects for that third year to help ease the young goalie in.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
Obviously Goalies take longer to develop, but signing 2 vets to multi-year deals is a pretty clear lack of faith in Stolarz.

At this point, I'm just happy Kinkaid re-signed so we can stop that discussion.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Hextall said he was a little disappointed that Stolarz hasn't been dominating the AHL, despite having two solid years. And Hextall's not wrong, especially after how awful he was after returning after his NHL call-up. I sure as hell wouldn't be comfortable betting on Stolarz either.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Would be fine. He can always transition to backup in a year or two if someone is ready.

Alex91

Sep 12, 2014
Really was hoping stolie got a crack this year. Would be nice to move Neuvy but don't see it happening.

My guess is Elliot wanted a starting role and took less money and did it early so he didn't get Biron'd or maybe Mason'd

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Hextall said he was a little disappointed that Stolarz hasn't been dominating the AHL, despite having two solid years. And Hextall's not wrong, especially after how awful he was after returning after his NHL call-up. I sure as hell wouldn't be comfortable betting on Stolarz either.

He saw very little action at all for over a month because Hak was afraid to start him. That couldnt have helped him when he got back to LHV.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Stolarz would have to make the Flyers make a decision on Neuvirth than the other way around. They won't get rid of Neuvirth if they don't think Stolarz is a better option. Not difficult to get goalies though waivers anyways in October, everyone usually has 4 at the start of the season.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
He saw very little action at all for over a month because Hak was afraid to start him. That couldnt have helped him when he got back to LHV.
There probably was a reason for not starting him though. Hakstol saw him in practice and maybe he just wasn't convinced.

Stizzle

Feb 3, 2012
Not a fan of the term.

Same. I assume his buyout number after 2 would at least be palatable. The 3rd year has me very worried.

I recall him being especially bad at the beginning of the year for Calgary. Overall, what's the story here? What should we be expecting?

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
this is horrible news if true. not only does Elliott really suck, but 3 years? Hextall would be out of his mind if he signs Elliott to a 3 year contract. why not just grab Bernier for 1 or 2? he's much better. or hell, if they're that obsessed with having Elliott, give him 2 years max. where else is he gonna go? there's no market for goalies out there.

i swear this organization is cursed when it comes to goalies. they can't manage them properly to save their lives. :shakehead

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania

It's not like he didn't touch the ice because of an injury or something, he was still practicing. And if prolonged stretches of no play can mess him up so bad then that's one strike against him being the backup...

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
this is horrible news if true. not only does Elliott really suck, but 3 years? Hextall would be out of his mind if he signs Elliott to a 3 year contract. why not just grab Bernier for 1 or 2? he's much better. or hell, if they're that obsessed with having Elliott, give him 2 years max. where else is he gonna go? there's no market for goalies out there.

i swear this organization is cursed when it comes to goalies. they can't manage them properly to save their lives. :shakehead

Hextall doesn't have many options though so Elliot likely does have a bit of leverage in regards to term.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
If I'm remembering right, Hextall had to earn his own way onto the team. He wasn't handed a role. That's been his philosophy with our prospects too, since he found it beneficial; and it's probably even more important at goalie. I'm OK with the idea that Stolarz hasn't played his way on yet; I've been wary of a Neuvy/Stolie combo.

3 years is better than the various long-term requests from Mason. And at 2.75, burying him if one of the younger guys plays his way up won't be hard.

Elliot...can be good. Depending on what version of him we get. He can also be a massive downgrade on Mason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->