Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
It baffles me how overrated this guy has become with a large contingency of Flyers fans.

He is a weird case. Got some non HF lifelong Flyer fans who are planning a parade that he is gone.

I'm really indifferent, if he would of taken 2-3 yrs I would of been happy for him to stay

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
It was down to Elliott or Bernier so unless you think Bernier is head and shoulders above Elliott I'm not sure I am following you on this one.

Yes, Bernier is better. There are also other options to be explored. I'd rather ride Neuvy and Stolie than sign Elliot.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
You want 2 kids in year 3 ???
He hopefully will be the perfect vet mentor for Stolie , Sand, or Hart

No I think we can roll with what we have now this year and hand it over Stolie next season. By that time Stolie would have a year under his belt as a backup/1b plus his three years in the AHL and the cup of coffee he had this year. He'll turn 25 that year and have three AHL and one NHL season under his belt. We can bring back Neuvirth or revisit the goalie market again next season. I mean it isn't the worst thing in the world but I'm not a fan of it for three years.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Stolie needs to show something this year. He's not even trusted to be the backup this year. Hextall certainly doesn't like what he's seeing from him. This is a big year for him.

And next year Hart and Sandstrom will be AHL bound knocking on the door. The kid is running out of time.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Elliot steal your candy ??

He is better than both Neuvy and Stolie

Elliot sucks. If he comes here many others will sing the same song. I want Mrazek and we can get him. There are others worth looking at as well. I don't want to settle and would rather just ride it out than settle on Elliot.

I'm also not big into sweets so he can have my candy. If he took my vodka I'd be pissed though.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
And the same is happening with Elliot.

Who is overrating Elliott. The furthest anyone has gone in his favor is to say that he is a decent "tandem starter" and he has posted good save percentage numbers throughout his career. Also that he isn't a significant downgrade to Mason. I fail to see how that is overrating him.

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Yes, Bernier is better. There are also other options to be explored. I'd rather ride Neuvy and Stolie than sign Elliot.

I would not rather ride neuvy and stolie. If stolie was really that ready/good right now we wouldn't even be looking for a goalie. Obviously hextall felt the same way because he would have been perfectly fine with having a cheap young goalie in stolie than going out to waste cap on a older vet. I hope stolie can really dominate the ahl and force hextall to trade neuvy in the future so that we can roll stolie/elliot until hart and sandstrom can get here. The positive with this is that we have two average goalies on friendly contracts that can be moved if needed to a desperate team needing a backup (if elliot/neuvy do good there should be an increase in demand)

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Elliot sucks. If he comes here many others will sing the same song. I want Mrazek and we can get him. There are others worth looking at as well. I don't want to settle and would rather just ride it out than settle on Elliot.

I'm also not big into sweets so he can have my candy. If he took my vodka I'd be pissed though.

what would mrazek have cost? If it is too much I would rather just keep assets and sign someone else/not lose anything

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
he stinks everywhere but St. Louis. Hitch had a ridiculous defensive system in place. under Hak he'd get lit up like a Christmas tree. he's also 32. you can't compare what a guy did 6 years ago. he's regressed a lot.

Disagreed. His best years he would've been good anywhere. Independent of the rest of the team he was reading plays well, had great positioning, and made goaltending look easy.

Now he's not that .940/.930 guy anymore, but he has put up solid backup-level numbers at around .910/.920, consistently...which isn't out of line with much of his Blues time.

The main thing right now is we have a platoon. Neither one of these can be trusted to start full time. Fortunately neither goalie sucks down a starter's share of cap hit either.

It also means if any prospect steps up the opening is there. In theory. With Hakstol who knows.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Yes, Bernier is better.
That is extremely debatable. I preferred Bernier myself but have said all along that the difference between them and Mason for that matter is minute.

There are also other options to be explored.
Such as whom? It was literally down to Elliott, Bernier, and Nilsson with Miller, Johnson, and Kinkaid having agreed in principle to deals elsewhere.

I'd rather ride Neuvy and Stolie than sign Elliot.
That is where you lose all credibility. Stolarz has shown nothing thus far to get that type of vote of confidence and might not even be 100% healthy by camp after just having surgery.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
He is a weird case. Got some non HF lifelong Flyer fans who are planning a parade that he is gone.

I'm really indifferent, if he would of taken 2-3 yrs I would of been happy for him to stay
I feel like a weirdo because I neither think Mason sucks, or that he was a true number 1 goalie who could make a difference for a playoff team. I think his .928 year with the Flyers was a fluke, but I also feel this past season at .908 was a fluke. He is a decent starting goalie in this league but in my opinion not worth the fuss, or multiple years and a big cap hit. Mason, Bernier, Elliott, etc etc there really just isn't a significant difference.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
early rumors are that mason is going to jets for 2 years at 4M

If that's true then Hextall and/or Mason never had any interest in him returning to the Flyers. I also find it ironic that he had a temper tantrum at the end of the year about not being named the number 1 goalie and now he is choosing to sign with Winnipeg and likely share the job with Connor Hellebuyck.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
It's amazing how certain people can only see this past season and determine if a guy is good or not. The amount of "Elliot sucks" comments screams of this.

1 year ago, both Elliot and Neuvirth were top 4 in SV%. Is that good?

Maybe, just maybe, goalie have bad years. Both should bounce back as recent history says they are better than they showed this past year.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

He's ****ing 23! That's not too old for a goalie prospect at all. Crawford was 25 when he was called up full time. Tim Thomas was in his early 30s when he became a starter. Ben Bishop was 26.

Stolarz will be 24 in January in his 3rd AHL season.

If he has another mediocre year, he'll be branded as an average AHL goalie, if you can't put up .920+ in the AHL, what does that project to the NHL? To be viewed as a potential NHL starter, he has to be one of the two or three best starting goalies in the AHL.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Seems like we are back in the we'd rather suck and be right, then root for the Flyers.

Those people really ****ing **** me off.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
My gut said Elliott, but I didn't want to hazard posting it. So.. now I will. ha.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
It's amazing how certain people can only see this past season and determine if a guy is good or not. The amount of "Elliot sucks" comments screams of this.

1 year ago, both Elliot and Neuvirth were top 4 in SV%. Is that good?

Maybe, just maybe, goalie have bad years. Both should bounce back as recent history says they are better than they showed this past year.

I think chances are pretty good that all three of Mason, Elliott, and Neuvirth have bounce back seasons and are right around the .915 save percentage mark which should be good enough for a team to win some games.

I get that Neuvirth was terrible last season and is frustrating because he gets hurt so much but he continues to be the forgotten man in this equation. He is also a pretty decent goalie and has a chance to help the Flyers next season. The good thing about having a tandem like Neuvirth and Elliott is that since goalies run so hot and cold chances are decent that at least one of them will be playing good at any point throughout the season. It's not just a matter of a tandem in that they split starts, it's that you can rely on one guy during some stretches of a long season, and the other for other stretches. I totally get what the Flyers are doing. It's not a move to get excited about, but it certainly doesn't make them significantly worse if at all.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I feel like a weirdo because I neither think Mason sucks, or that he was a true number 1 goalie who could make a difference for a playoff team. I think his .928 year with the Flyers was a fluke, but I also feel this past season at .908 was a fluke. He is a decent starting goalie in this league but in my opinion not worth the fuss, or multiple years and a big cap hit. Mason, Bernier, Elliott, etc etc there really just isn't a significant difference.

Exactly. We have Elliott at a decent price, where we can afford to keep hiim as a backup to a young goalie or trade him for a late round pick to clear him off the books. If a young goalie takes the job, he'll be on an ELC through Elliott's contract.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I thought for sure they were going to sign Bernier. I thought Elliott made perfect sense for the Jets to play in tandem with Hellebuyck. I also though Mason was damn near a lock to go to the Flames. Looks like I was wrong on all of those :D

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Exactly. We have Elliott at a decent price, where we can afford to keep hiim as a backup to a young goalie or trade him for a late round pick to clear him off the books. If a young goalie takes the job, he'll be on an ELC through Elliott's contract.
Yep, I don't get what is so hard for some people to understand about this.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad