Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There probably was a reason for not starting him though. Hakstol saw him in practice and maybe he just wasn't convinced.

Well I mean..he won both starts and 1 of them was a shut-out, so..

:laugh:

He should have started 2-3 more games in that stretch. There is no defending it.

He was giving Mason back-to-back nights for no reason during a 27 game stretch with a healthy Stolarz that had proven he could play.

Whether or not this had to do with his struggles when he was sent down, it was still garbage coaching from our garbage coach.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
this is horrible news if true. not only does Elliott really suck, but 3 years? Hextall would be out of his mind if he signs Elliott to a 3 year contract. why not just grab Bernier for 1 or 2? he's much better. or hell, if they're that obsessed with having Elliott, give him 2 years max. where else is he gonna go? there's no market for goalies out there.

i swear this organization is cursed when it comes to goalies. they can't manage them properly to save their lives. :shakehead

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Hextall doesn't have many options though so Elliot likely does have a bit of leverage in regards to term.

there's always options, go with Bernier. or trade for one. signing a 32 year old bad goalie to a 3 year deal is insanity.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Consider this on Bernier and Elliott, and this point is made weighing whether or not you trust Hextall's judgement or disagree with the notion. Assuming Elliott is the guy.

Hextall was in LA when Bernier was coming up and was the backup in 2012, traded soon after. But he's choosing the guy the Kings made look really bad in the playoffs two years in a row.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
Andy Stricklandâ€ÂVerified account @andystrickland
Early talk on Brian Elliott is 3 years with #Flyers $2.75 per

I don't watch enough of Elliott to have a sound opinion but a goalie that struggles in behind Calgary and St Louis defense makes me nervous. Ok with the dollars but that third year (if this is accurate) could be a disaster if he struggles in the first two years. Another part of this I don't like is Hextall is banking on Sandstrom and Hart in 2019 which is a little aggressive and it also doesn't speak well for what the next two seasons could be like. If Neuvirth struggles again and Elliott is inconsistent we could be a disaster for the next two seasons. Hexy taking a huge risk imo and potentially throwing away two prime seasons for G, Voracek and Simmonds. Honestly i'm a little confused at his moves. Some of his moves look like he's tanking but that shouldn't happen with our core in their prime.. Strange. Personally I think Neuvirth will bounce back and have a great season but if he doesn't:amazed:

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013

He should have started 2-3 more games in that stretch. There is no defending it.

He was giving Mason back-to-back nights for no reason during a 27 game stretch with a healthy Stolarz that had proven he could play.

Whether or not this had to do with his struggles when he was sent down, it was still garbage coaching from our garbage coach.
He wasn't bad, but I remember people being worried about the number of juicy rebounds he allowed. And this was at a time when we were still fighting for a playoff spot.

Not saying I really agree with the decision, but I can see why they did it.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

The eyeball says Stolarz was nothing special.

He's basically in his "do or die" season, too old to be a prospect after this year, if he doesn't significantly raise his game, look for him to be released, because he won't have any trade value.

phil162888

Jul 28, 2012
there's always options, go with Bernier. or trade for one. signing a 32 year old bad goalie to a 3 year deal is insanity.

I agree with this.... awfully risky if true. I could see a 1 yr prove yourself type deal but 3 years . Hexy must really think he's the answer because if he's not Hexy won't be here to see the end of that contract.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
this is horrible news if true. not only does Elliott really suck, but 3 years? Hextall would be out of his mind if he signs Elliott to a 3 year contract. why not just grab Bernier for 1 or 2? he's much better. or hell, if they're that obsessed with having Elliott, give him 2 years max. where else is he gonna go? there's no market for goalies out there.

i swear this organization is cursed when it comes to goalies. they can't manage them properly to save their lives. :shakehead

What if Elliott doesn't want 2 years? What if his 2 years inflates the cap hit to something the Flyers don't want?

What if Bernier doesn't want 1 or 2 years?

I don't get the never ending backlash at length and term of contracts. It's a contract negotiation in a strict Salary Capped league...it's not a delegation from the GMs. Relax.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Hoping this is BS. Hextall is a former goalie and should be a better judge. Elliot is terrible. Worst option out there.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
What if Elliott doesn't want 2 years? What if his 2 years inflates the cap hit to something the Flyers don't want?

What if Bernier doesn't want 1 or 2 years?

I don't get the never ending backlash at length and term of contracts. It's a contract negotiation in a strict Salary Capped league...it's not a delegation from the GMs. Relax.

where else are they gonna go? if Mason signs with the Jets there aren't a whole lot of options left to be a potential starter for Bernier or Elliott. they have little to no leverage to ask for more term. it's like a game of musical chairs and all the seats but one have been taken.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The eyeball says Stolarz was nothing special.

He's basically in his "do or die" season, too old to be a prospect after this year, if he doesn't significantly raise his game, look for him to be released, because he won't have any trade value.

uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

He's ****ing 23! That's not too old for a goalie prospect at all. Crawford was 25 when he was called up full time. Tim Thomas was in his early 30s when he became a starter. Ben Bishop was 26.

And he will certainly still have value for a trade.

Yes, by 23 you should typically know if a goalie is going to be a top-of-the-NHL kind of guy. At his current age and performance level it is far from written that he has zero value or potential.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I agree with this.... awfully risky if true. I could see a 1 yr prove yourself type deal but 3 years . Hexy must really think he's the answer because if he's not Hexy won't be here to see the end of that contract.

I don't think you have to worry about Hextall going anywhere.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
where else are they gonna go? if Mason signs with the Jets there aren't a whole lot of options left to be a potential starter for Bernier or Elliott. they have little to no leverage to ask for more term. it's like a game of musical chairs and all the seats but one have been taken.

You're right...but why would the Flyers run the risk of them actually going somewhere else? Then WE have no other options. It'd be worse management to end up in that position.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Elliott is not terrible like some of the other comments in here have mentioned.

He's not great either.

He is capable of posting league average save percentage.

I don't like the 3 years, just as I didn't like the 2 years for Neuvirth.

We now have 2 average goalies locked up for at least the next 2 years.

Juicy Pop

BONK
Apr 26, 2014
Scranton, PA
Elliot is fine for 3 years at under 3M; at absolute worst he's a slightly overpaid backup if someone like Hart just crushes it the year after next.

LI Fly Guy

Feb 28, 2008
Long Island
Since 2011-12 Brian Elliott ranks 5th in SV% at .921 - Only Price (.923), Schneider, Elliot, Rask and Talbot (.922) are higher.

Playing for the Blues and Hitch help. Not the best goalie. But far from the worst. I can live with him. Could've gotten a lot worse.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
:laugh: I don't think that could be further from the truth...

Do you have a way to quantify your opinion?

I've watched plenty of his career. Mason is better and I'm not a big fan of him either. His rebound control is terrible. Esche was better. His glove hand is so so. His lateral movement is ok but don't expect him to recover great. The guy continually loses the important games while winning the meaningless ones. Trust me, stats are not always the source of truth. If we make the playoffs with him, do not expect to go any further. There are teams that I have watched close throughout the years and this guy has been a part of them. I'd rather keep Mason and I don't want him either.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
You're right...but why would the Flyers run the risk of them actually going somewhere else? Then WE have no other options. It'd be worse management to end up in that position.

there's always options. they have Neuvirth and Stolarz. while not the greatest tandem, they can go with that if needed. plus they can always trade for Mrazek or someone else. they don't need either Elliott or Bernier to survive.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
Since 2011-12 Brian Elliott ranks 5th in SV% at .921 - Only Price (.923), Schneider, Elliot, Rask and Talbot (.922) are higher.

Playing for the Blues and Hitch help. Not the best goalie. But far from the worst. I can live with him. Could've gotten a lot worse.

Zactly....Blues and Hitch. Thx

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad