Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
there's always options. they have Neuvirth and Stolarz. while not the greatest tandem, they can go with that if needed. plus they can always trade for Mrazek or someone else. they don't need either Elliott or Bernier to survive.

I'd prefer this and would also prefer Bernier to Elliot.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The contract isn't long or expensive enough to be a problem. No reason to worry too much.

It's for sure better than Stolarz being up.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
uF9MjJo3QIaijySXC4iL_Confused%20Christian%20Bale.gif

He's ****ing 23! That's not too old for a goalie prospect at all. Crawford was 25 when he was called up full time. Tim Thomas was in his early 30s when he became a starter. Ben Bishop was 26.

And he will certainly still have value for a trade.

Crawford (26), Rinne (26), Schneider (26), Anderson (28), Bishop (26), Dubnyk (25), Talbot (28), Andersen (25), Rask (25), Miller (26), etc. That's the ages of which current notable starters around the league became full time starters. In the first two guys case they pretty jumped right into the role at that age with very NHL experience beforehand.

bauer

I MISS GHOST
Nov 11, 2007
Since 2011-12 Brian Elliott ranks 5th in SV% at .921 - Only Price (.923), Schneider, Elliot, Rask and Talbot (.922) are higher.

Playing for the Blues and Hitch help. Not the best goalie. But far from the worst. I can live with him. Could've gotten a lot worse.

he stinks everywhere but St. Louis. Hitch had a ridiculous defensive system in place. under Hak he'd get lit up like a Christmas tree. he's also 32. you can't compare what a guy did 6 years ago. he's regressed a lot.

TCTC

Mar 25, 2013
I'll always remember Bernier for his Mandela comment. I'm not sure if I can ever take him seriously anymore. :laugh:

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
he stinks everywhere but St. Louis. Hitch had a ridiculous defensive system in place. under Hak he'd get lit up like a Christmas tree. he's also 32. you can't compare what a guy did 6 years ago. he's regressed a lot.

Glad you get it

And even with that team, he still couldn't get over the hump in the playoffs.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Elliott is not terrible like some of the other comments in here have mentioned.

He's not great either.

He is capable of posting league average save percentage.

I don't like the 3 years, just as I didn't like the 2 years for Neuvirth.

We now have 2 average goalies locked up for at least the next 2 years.

Exactly, he's a very solid tandem goalie in this league. They could have done a lot worse and the cap hit is barely starters money.

FLYERSFAN18

May 31, 2008
Pennsylvania
Seems fishy since signings under Hextall don't normally get out to the media before they are official. Think I would rather have Bernier

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
Don't hate the 3rd year at all. Hopefully he's a cheap back up in year 3.

All the haters of this are really gonna freak when Mase deal isn't much more if at all

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Eeesh. I am fine with Elliot but why three years? Unless it's for dirt ass cheap I am not a fan.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
At some point we have to find that goalie that will be a stable guy for us 5+ years.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Don't hate the 3rd year at all. Hopefully he's a cheap back up in year 3.

All the haters of this are really gonna freak when Mase deal isn't much more if at all

I agree. I just don't see Mason getting multiple years and a raise from his 4.1 million cap hit in this market. I am thinking something like three years and 4 - 4.5 million for Mason.

bennysflyers16

Jan 26, 2004
I agree. I just don't see Mason getting multiple years and a raise from his 4.1 million cap hit in this market. I am thinking something like three years and 4 - 4.5 million for Mason.

He will get 3 yrs in Wpg I think, but not at 4 mill per.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I don't get the outrage over the third year. Initially I didn't like it but even then it wasn't a big deal. Striker and Tripod pointed out though that with the low cap hit he would be a good candidate to be a backup/mentor to a young goalie in the third year of the deal. This would give the team stability and enable them to bring a young goalie into a comfortable situation and set them up for success. It actually makes perfect sense. The third year isn't going to block a young goalie at all.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Some thoughts:

I like Steve Mason, but Flyers Twitter is literally losing its **** over Mason. He was FINE, he was note elite, he was not a game changer. He had his ups and he had his downs.

Also, I like Stolarz, but I really don't have high hopes for the kid, he certainly could change my mind, but he's been mediocre in the AHL for the most part.

I like Elliott, it's 1 year too long, but not the end of the world.

SanBlom

Jan 29, 2008
St Peters
I don't get the outrage over the third year. Initially I didn't like it but even then it wasn't a big deal. Striker and Tripod pointed out though that with the low cap hit he would be a good candidate to be a backup/mentor to a young goalie in the third year of the deal. This would give the team stability and enable them to bring a young goalie into a comfortable situation and set them up for success. It actually makes perfect sense. The third year isn't going to block a young goalie at all.

I don't mind the third year if we are getting someone else...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad