Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott: Two Year Deal With Flyers ($2.75M/yr) (issued #37 per NHL.com)

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
This is a fanbase that turned on Biron, a goalie who couldn't stay good all year like Elliot is likely to do. It has turned on dammed near everyone the last 15 years, at the first possible chance. It will turn on Elliott or Neuvirth. It will likely turn on both and split into factions. It's out of character that there hasn't been a revolt against Neuvy as well, but that's likely because Mason sponged up the abuse. Well, he's gone.

Brace yourselves for the coming pointless controversy. Remember the future is the goal.

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
This is a fanbase that turned on Biron, a goalie who couldn't stay good all year like Elliot is likely to do. It has turned on dammed near everyone the last 15 years, at the first possible chance. It will turn on Elliott or Neuvirth. It will likely turn on both and split into factions. It's out of character that there hasn't been a revolt against Neuvy as well, but that's likely because Mason sponged up the abuse. Well, he's gone.

Brace yourselves for the coming pointless controversy. Remember the future is the goal.

Movie-Poster-the-x-files-fight-the-future-7686985-399-500.jpg

Bob Clarke Fan Club

Feb 14, 2003
Visit site
Elliot reminds me of a slightly improved version of Biron. I was stung a little with three years, I can deal with 2 as a bridge to the younger guys. Could form a decent tandem with Neuvy.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
His stats have been getting gradually worse...
This post is really confusing. At first I thought you were talking about Mason and not Elliott. Mason's numbers have also been declining each of the last 3 seasons.
he had a pretty horrible playoffs, 0-4 (3.89 / .880) albeit his career playoff numbers 15-22 (2.60 / .908) are good.
Mason was 0-3 with a 4.09 GAA abd .852 SV% the last time he was in the playoffs and his career numbers aren't much better (2-9, 3.37 GAA, .895 SV%)

He gave up 5 goals on 27 shots in his last playoff game against the Ducks.
Mason gave up 6 goals on 27 shots in his last playoff game against the Caps.

Mason had 7 wins out of his last 10 starts.
Yes, he won 7 of 10 in mop up duty when the season was already over. Elliott won 14 of his last 19 starts including going 13-1 down the stretch to lock up a playoff spot.

Just sayin.... we could have gone for a younger goalie like Anders Nilsson who posted a respectable 2.67 / .923 last season and will be signed for much less dinero.
Nilsson is 27 years old and has never started more than 24 games in a season and just signed for only 250k less than Elliott who finished 9th in Vezina voting just a year ago.

roadkill

Jul 3, 2017
PA
Will they let Elliot use his #1 jersey? It's retired to Bernie Parent right? I'm guessing his number will be changed to #31 or something like that.

I actually was hoping the Flyers would get Elliot, so I'm happy about this deal. If he's fine with "platooning" and won't be a nuisance in the locker room, then great. I'm sure he'll be fine with starting a lot of games in a row too if Neuvirth gets hurt again.

I liked the trade for Mason too and liked him while he was here, but he has proven to be inconsistent in big games and is prone to having stretches of inconsistency obviously. But I will admit, he was reliable for starting many games in a row. His playoff experience is almost nil though, especially compared to Elliot (2-9 vs 15-22). I'm not going to judge Elliot on his most recent playoff run, Mason was just as bad if not worse in his last 3 playoff games with the Flyers. And then there's also the time he went 0-4 with the Blue Jackets during his first playoff run.

Last edited:

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
No, Elliot nor anyone else will ever wear #1 here. That's rightly retired for Parent.

I see this season going a couple different ways.

1) Elliot and Neuvirth are both bad just like how Mason/Neuvirth were bad last year. The team will need to fight for the playoffs all the way til the end of the season.

2) the goalies take turns getting hot like 2 years ago and we make the playoffs and feel good going into the postseason with whoever is hottest at the end of the year.

There are other scenarios with injuries and Stolarz factoring in somehow, but these two seem like the most likely.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
This post is really confusing. At first I thought you were talking about Mason and not Elliott. Mason's numbers have also been declining each of the last 3 seasons.

Mason was 0-3 with a 4.09 GAA abd .852 SV% the last time he was in the playoffs and his career numbers aren't much better (2-9, 3.37 GAA, .895 SV%)

Mason gave up 6 goals on 27 shots in his last playoff game against the Caps.

Yes, he won 7 of 10 in mop up duty when the season was already over. Elliott won 14 of his last 19 starts including going 13-1 down the stretch to lock up a playoff spot.

Nilsson is 27 years old and has never started more than 24 games in a season and just signed for only 250k less than Elliott who finished 9th in Vezina voting just a year ago.

This post was a thorough ass-whooping.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Will they let Elliot use his #1 jersey? It's retired to Bernie Parent right? I'm guessing his number will be changed to #31 or something like that.

I actually was hoping the Flyers would get Elliot, idk why, so I'm happy about this deal. If he's fine with "platooning" and won't be a nuisance in the locker room, then great.

I liked the trade for Mason too and liked him while he was here, but he has proven to be inconsistent in big games and is prone to having stretches of inconsistency obviously. But I will admit, he was reliable for starting many games in a row. His playoff experience is almost nil though, especially compared to Elliot (2-9 vs 15-22). I'm not going to judge Elliot on his most recent playoff run, Mason was just as bad if not worse in his last 3 playoff games with the Flyers. And then there's also the time he went 0-4 with the Blue Jackets during his first playoff run.

Not only will he not be able to wear #1, he will not be able to wear #31 either.

Pelle Lindbergh wore #31 and his number is unofficially retired.

No player has worn it since he passed away in a car accident in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Lindbergh

Last edited:

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
Brian Elliott is the exact sort of goalie Philadelphia Flyer fans are famous for hating. He's great in spurts. He's a front runner - when things are going great, he's going great. When things unravel, he doesn't stop the bleeding.

He lets in backbreaking soft goals. And he doesn't track the puck super well past the initial shot.

Good luck.

Glad you are the HFboards resident expert on Flyers fans.

Alchemy

Mind Control
Jul 8, 2006
I find it funny that the last couple of years people talked about how bad Mason is and the perception that still stuck with him from his Columbus years. Fast forward to today and most WPG fans think Mason is the guy they need and will get them over the hump and into the playoffs.. I remember those days trying to convince people that Mason was a above average goalie when most people said he was garbage(Main boards). Now he's decent goalie now that he became a free agent. :laugh:

RoDu

May 22, 2003
Winnipeg
Visit site
This is kind of a lateral move I thinks. If the team comes together we have a shot making the playoffs with him. But the plus is he won't raise a fuss if some kid comes up and challenges his starter status

Ilkka Sinisalo

Amazing American
Nov 1, 2010
Perth, W.A.
I'm increasingly of the opinion that unless you have a Brodeur or a Patrick Roy or a Bobrovsky (oops we traded him), then it's not worth it to lock up a truckload of money in a goalie who may or may not remain very good through the length of his contract. Elliott represents pretty good value here, and he's not going to be a red-ass like Mason if he's splitting time with Neuvirth or losing time to a young goalie like Stolarz.

roadkill

Jul 3, 2017
PA
Not only will he not be able to wear #1, he will not be able to wear #31 either.

Pelle Lindbergh wore #31 and his number is unofficially retired.

No player has worn it since he passed away in a car accident in 1985.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pelle_Lindbergh

Ah ok. I had a feeling he wouldn't be able to wear #31, I just couldn't remember why. Thanks. Is it possible that he'll wear a #2 jersey? Is that even a viable or wearable number for a goalie?

roadkill

Jul 3, 2017
PA
I'm increasingly of the opinion that unless you have a Brodeur or a Patrick Roy or a Bobrovsky (oops we traded him), then it's not worth it to lock up a truckload of money in a goalie who may or may not remain very good through the length of his contract. Elliott represents pretty good value here, and he's not going to be a red-ass like Mason if he's splitting time with Neuvirth or losing time to a young goalie like Stolarz.

I still don't get why everyone thinks Bobrovsky is going to be an elite goalie. He can still be beat up high easily as shown in the playoffs against Pittsburgh. It was very reminiscent of how he played on the Flyers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad