Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 1 year $2M

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
*Darth Vader 'Noooooooo' .gif

+

*Michael Scott 'No, please god, no' .gif

This is, honestly, my least favourite move of the offseason by a country mile. :shakehead

Last edited:

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
I am not a fan of this move. Elliott is decent but he is 34 and hasn't been healthy for two years. At least it's only a one year deal at 2 million and I realize the UFA market isn't very good for back ups but this isn't a risk I would have taken. Hart is the real deal but to think he won't experience some ups and downs throughout his first full NHL season is probably foolish. The Flyers needed a really good back up goalie they can rely on to potentially play 30-40 games this season. I'm just not convinced that Elliott will be that guy but I certainly hope I am wrong.

Reactions: Foggy14

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
I'm down with this, hopefully he'll stay healthy so we don't have to ever see Alex Lyon again.

I like Lyon just not in the NHL.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Dodged a Reimer, Mike Smith bullet. Thats good enough for me.
Well, to be fair, they’re all bullets. Scouring the NHL goalie depth charts is rough on the eyes. I don’t think there’s a sure thing out there. All seem fraught with risk.

Reactions: renberg

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Dont count out Felix Sandstrom as a 3rd string option should injuries arise or Moose just isnt cutting it.

Reactions: BernieParent

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The bottom third of NHL starters are shaky enough, how many backups would you trust?
Only 25 goalies started 40 games.

If you want a good backup, you usually have to develop someone, then have someone else behind them when they become too expensive to keep (and get traded for a big haul).

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Dont count out Felix Sandstrom as a 3rd string option should injuries arise or Moose just isnt cutting it.
Hope so. God I loved this kid’s talent after they drafted him. Came in, looked great in (albeit) rookie camp. Flashed huge potential in Sweden, then it all seemed to fall apart.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
I'm down with this, hopefully he'll stay healthy so we don't have to ever see Alex Lyon again.

I like Lyon just not in the NHL.

Don’t sleep on the Lyon King. He’s just waiting for his shot.

Remember he was run into the ground just like every other flyers goalie last season. Lyon also started the season injured which didn’t help matters none.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Well, to be fair, they’re all bullets. Scouring the NHL goalie depth charts is rough on the eyes. I don’t think there’s a sure thing out there. All seem fraught with risk.
Exactly, look at Petr Mrazek. He was left for dead last summer and a total after thought on the free agent market. He ended up signing a one year deal for 1.5 million and one year later he is being courted by multiple teams and will likely get a long term deal for double his salary last year.

Fringe starting / back up goalies are like relief pitchers in baseball. One year they can look great, the next horrible, and the third year back to being great. It's an extremely inconsistent market.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
Exactly, look at Petr Mrazek. He was left for dead last summer and a total after thought on the free agent market. He ended up signing a one year deal for 1.5 million and one year later he is being courted by multiple teams and will likely get a long term deal for double his salary last year.

Fringe starting / back up goalies are like relief pitchers in baseball. One year they can look great, the next horrible, and the third year back to being great. It's an extremely inconsistent market.
Good analogy.

Here4ThaLids

“Sunshine has always been our enemy.”
Sep 28, 2018
Happy to have our Dad back.

Also happy to have Nick Schultz back in the fold. He's our second Dad.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad