Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 1 year $2M

CanadianFlyer88

Knublin' PPs
Feb 12, 2004
Van City
A healthy Lyon is probably as good as many backup goalies, .905 S% a year ago in 11 NHL games, .913, .944 in 11 PO games, .916 S% including a slow start in the AHL as he got healthy. If we can stash him in the AHL with Sandstrom, then we're about as deep as almost any team at goalie.

Lyon isn't a potential starter, but he has possibilities as a solid backup.
Lyon-Hart! Lyon-Hart! Lyon-Hart!

*I am going to beat this drum forever, even though I don't share your optimism about Lyon's NHL future.

Interestingly enough, he reminds me of Elliott. A guy who plays like he's a foot shorter than he actually is...

Flyrs21

Dec 17, 2006
I think it's funny when people use the name Lyon and NHL and don't put the words....... should not be in the........ in between the two.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Lyon is your typical AHL/marginal NHL goalie.

Had a decent cameo a year ago, wasn't healthy when he was forced into action this past season, when he did get healthy played very well for a LHV team that couldn't play defense.

He's not a NHL starter (at least right now, but neither was Binnington before this past season) but could fill in as a backup.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
Awesome. Flyers make a deal that checks both the cap and hockey competitiveness check boxes. Elliot can absorb any role thrown at him, much better choice than newcomer Talbot, sorry Carter, but your affinity for him was not enough. Even in the event that Elliot is thrust into #1 status, he's good enough for this squad e.g. he will not be the point of fail.

And I love love love it when Philly goalies consume less than 5% of the cap, the less the better. I hope they never pay any keeper real start money until they have an NHL trophy in their case.

eramosat

Dec 19, 2015
Toronto
He played like 3 games here and then they apparently parted ways because Cam wants to start somewhere (duh). The trade was ****ing stupid.
I agree that that trade was useless, and mostly served to show a tendancy towards roster churn that Comcast felt was part of their path to $$$.

More seriously, Stolarz or Talbot as your keeper of record? Nothing much to choose between them until they prove they are serious NHL starter material, Talbot's days are somewhat past needing many starts to prove it, and Stolarz's future could not really be afforded a chance to be realized in Philly with other younger goalies calling.

All in all , Hart Elliot Lyons...just fine for where they're at.

dats81

Jan 22, 2011
Carinthia, AUT
And don't forget there is too few spots for all the goalies available so they can easily pick up another fringe NHLer via waivers again if injuries pile up again at some point.
Not perfect but I'd rather bet on Hart staying healthy and our prospects in LHV being able to fill-in for a while than overpaying for a more durable backup (when there is no guarantee either).

Last edited:

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I’d do that trade again for sure. It made sense and had the potential to be good for us.

The problem was everything that happened after the trade because it made no sense that they used him so little and didn’t give him a chance to prove anything.

Talbot played enough to prove he was not worth signing.

Reactions: Ghosts Beer

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
They saw 2 years of Elliott and 3 starts of Talbot.

Seems pretty clear which one should've played more in those last handful of games.

They weren't learning anything about Elliott that they didn't already know, meanwhile it was important to get the best possible picture of whether Talbot's problem was Edmonton or just himself. We still don't know, due to a tiny sample size.

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018

Seems pretty clear which one should've played more in those last handful of games.

They weren't learning anything about Elliott that they didn't already know, meanwhile it was important to get the best possible picture of whether Talbot's problem was Edmonton or just himself. We still don't know, due to a tiny sample size.

Coach Gordon was definitely no Coach Bombay

Reactions: Foggy14

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
Given how simultaneous injuries to all the goalies at NHL and AHL levels led to waiver pick ups like Pickard and McKenna, if it was my team, I would have found the most durable goalie available to be Hart's backup. I wouldn't count on Elliott or Lyon to save my job. Heaven help us if Hart does down.

Yeah, I hope this works out fine, but it is kinda strange that Fletch would go with a guy whose health issues contributed to the Flyers setting the unenviable record of using the most goalies in NHL history (eight) last season.

Reactions: Larry44

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell

Unless it was blatant in practice not to sign him

captainpaxil

Dec 2, 2008
Y big beef is they took a different approach to hart at goalie than they did Patrick at center. Work from the premise this is a playoff team. Do I want to go into the playoffs on the condition this young guy can do something we haven't as led him to do yet. Ideally I would have headed for halak or pursued varlamov then Talbot before settling on Elliott

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

None of that is even relevant. According to Custance they offered Talbot a deal to be backup which he declined because he wants to be a starter. Sayonora Cam. We have a new and improved Cam anyway.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
None of that is even relevant. According to Custance they offered Talbot a deal to be backup which he declined because he wants to be a starter. Sayonora Cam. We have a new and improved Cam anyway.
It’s relevant because they didn’t know that at the time and it’s just another example of poor decision making.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad