Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 1 year $2M

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
It’s relevant because they didn’t know that at the time and it’s just another example of poor decision making.

Didn't know that prior to trading for him? Sure. Of course not. But they still felt that they saw enough in practice and in tape that they offered him a deal to be the backup, which he declined.

Therefore, their lack of proper usage (mostly due to Gordons incompetence and some weird timing with Hart's hot streak and Elliott's injury recover) didn't really factor into things at the end of the day.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I do enjoy Harry Potter. Only saw the movies, very impressed with the story, and the community developed around it.
If you get a chance, try to read the books. Wonderful stories, to which the movies are remarkably true. I read them all to my son when he was 9, and then got the movies from the library to watch after we finished each book.

Reactions: Rebels57

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It’s relevant because they didn’t know that at the time and it’s just another example of poor decision making.

We're talking Stolarz for Talbot, cap space we couldn't use, a scrub goaltender who has been sidelined by bad knees and is now FA and will almost certainly be back in the AHL this season.

That's "poor decision making."

Talk about nitpicking. :huh:

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Didn't know that prior to trading for him? Sure. Of course not. But they still felt that they saw enough in practice and in tape that they offered him a deal to be the backup, which he declined.

Therefore, their lack of proper usage (mostly due to Gordons incompetence and some weird timing with Hart's hot streak and Elliott's injury recover) didn't really factor into things at the end of the day.

Didn’t factor into the end result of this specific instance but my point is that it’s just yet another example of a mistake in their decision making processes. I’m looking at the pattern developing and what it means for our future.

I don’t care about Talbot, but we all might care about the next person their poor decision making effects. Provorov? TK? We already (should) dislike the Sanheim contract. Who knows what’s next?

And if they really believe practice is enough to judge players....

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
There was nothing wrong with Stolarz for Talbot, we got to kick the tires for nothing.

The Sanheim bridge deal made perfect sense for both parties, why would Sanheim want to lock himself in right now with the pending TV contract? Why would the Flyers overpay now when they can negotiate in two years after the ED with 2 RFA years left.

The issue with Provorov is Provorov, his value on a long-term deal is around 8x6 because it includes 4 RFA years.

TK is tough to value, 40-45 point ES scorer who doesn't PP or PK, and is below average defensively.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
There wasn't a mistake. They played the better players and then kept the better players.

You seem completely oblivious to the fact that when they traded for Talbot, they weren't sure how quickly Elliott would bounce back after his injury.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Didn’t factor into the end result of this specific instance but my point is that it’s just yet another example of a mistake in their decision making processes. I’m looking at the pattern developing and what it means for our future.

I don’t care about Talbot, but we all might care about the next person their poor decision making effects. Provorov? TK? We already (should) dislike the Sanheim contract. Who knows what’s next?

And if they really believe practice is enough to judge players....

Your concerns are valid, but I really think the whole Talbot/Elliott thing is just blown out of proportion at this point.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
There wasn't a mistake. They played the better players and then kept the better players.

You seem completely oblivious to the fact that when they traded for Talbot, they weren't sure how quickly Elliott would bounce back after his injury.

Yeah Hart and the team got on a heater right after the trade so Talbot didn't get into a game for a while, and then Elliott was cleared earlier than expected and actually played well after he got into a game. So there were a few extenuating circumstances.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Your concerns are valid, but I really think the whole Talbot/Elliott thing is just blown out of proportion at this point.
Sure. Like I said, I don't really care about this specific instance, but instead care about the larger picture.

Talbot or Elliott really makes no difference to me (so long as they're confident health won't be an issue). Either way, Hart should be the #1 and the vet should be in the background unless he struggles.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Sure. Like I said, I don't really care about this specific instance, but instead care about the larger picture.

Talbot or Elliott really makes no difference to me (so long as they're confident health won't be an issue). Either way, Hart should be the #1 and the vet should be in the background unless he struggles.

If Hart doesn't get at least 50 starts i'm going to be pretty annoyed.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm already mentally prepared for him to have a rough streak at some point and for the internet to then turn on him.

Next seasons success depends on him more than anyone else, so I'm expecting some scalding hot takes if things don't go perfect.

I can't wait for Hart to go cold and Elliott to get 3 or 4 straight starts. That's gonna be really fun both here and Twitter.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm not worried about Hart.
Goalie play is as much mental and physical, and he is incredibly mature for someone that young.

David St Hubbins

Well, you're not as confused as he is.
Jan 24, 2016
Deskfront, facing WSW
I hope that anyone complaining about the Stolarz trade never bought a lottery ticket. Cause it’s basically the same thing: throw your pocket change on the counter and see if you get lucky. This time a dollar and a dream didn’t cut it. But that’s all it really was

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
16 Stats: The Taylor Hall trade aftermath, Leon Draisaitl's...

In any sense, a few people asked who the best goalies were in back-to-backs and now that’s much easier to find. Here’s the top five since 2012-13, minimum 10 games.

1. Darcy Kuemper, ARI, 12GP: .948
2. Connor Hellebuyck, WPG, 13GP: .938
3. Brian Elliott, PHI, 15GP: .931
4. Carey Price, MTL, 20GP: .928
5. Martin Jones, S.J, 16GP: .927

NHL.com Stats

Interestingly, poor old Mase is in last place out of the 41 goalies at .893. Neuvirth is 38th.

This list of just the Philly goalies is also worth looking at. Mason played 21 games for us with 0 days rest. Elliott has only played 6, and Hart has only played 2, but they both have sky high SV percentages.

Elliott is below .900 with 2 or 3 days rest. :eek:

NHL.com Stats

Last edited:

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
In his 2 years with the Flyers(goalies playing at least 20 games):

He was 23rd in ES SV%...tied with MA Fleury and better than Crawford, Dubnyk, Holtby, Lundqvist, Price, Quick, etc..

However, when killing a penalty, he was 65th out of 70. And ironically, 4 of the bottom 9 played games with the Flyers. That is not a coincidence.
Glad I was level headed in my response to the re-signing.

This season for goalies playing at least 15 games:

31st in SV% with a .904 SV%....Hart 18th at .912
29th in GAA with a 2.95 GAA....Hart 8th at 2.40

And Elliott is 32nd in SV% on the PK.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The way to build a better bench is to marinate your prospects, bring them up when they're ready rather than learn on the job, and get a few cheap seasons - then extend the best few and repeat. You just can't spend big money on bottom six, third pair guys or backup goalies without running out of money in a few years.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->