Confirmed with Link: Brian Elliott signs 1 year $2M

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
A healthy Lyon is probably as good as many backup goalies, .905 S% a year ago in 11 NHL games, .913, .944 in 11 PO games, .916 S% including a slow start in the AHL as he got healthy. If we can stash him in the AHL with Sandstrom, then we're about as deep as almost any team at goalie.

Lyon isn't a potential starter, but he has possibilities as a solid backup.

Reactions: Foggy14

Foggy14

Sep 13, 2017
I am not a fan of this move. Elliott is decent but he is 34 and hasn't been healthy for two years. At least it's only a one year deal at 2 million and I realize the UFA market isn't very good for back ups but this isn't a risk I would have taken. Hart is the real deal but to think he won't experience some ups and downs throughout his first full NHL season is probably foolish. The Flyers needed a really good back up goalie they can rely on to potentially play 30-40 games this season. I'm just not convinced that Elliott will be that guy but I certainly hope I am wrong.

Well, I guess it does send a message to Hart that he's our guy.

Sure hope Carter doesn't get hurt, or have one of those young goalie slumps.

Sure hope Moose doesn't get hurt, or have one of those old goalie slumps.

At least we aren't the Canucks, eating $3m a season for the next three years on Luongo.

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
I suppose it's a low rate and short term, but i'm a little wary about this. Hopefully he doesn't get overworked, i don't want to see him start more than ~25 games.

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Guess the route became a dead end.....
giphy.gif

FTFY

BernieParent

In misery of redwings of suckage for a long time
Mar 13, 2009
Chasm of Sar (north of Montreal, Qc)
It's another north-of-meh move by Fletcher with which I am okay. This team should (SHOULD!!) be much tighter on D and not hemorrhaging high-quality opportunities. Hayes is very good at two-way play and the senior citizens added to D should improve own-zone coverage. Plus, maybe there is an extra little deal to be made for a young Swedish who hits a lot but who doesn't have a seat after the preseason music stops.

Hart (50-55) + Elliott (20-25) + Lyon / Sandstrom (5-10 games) should provide above-average goaltending.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
It's another north-of-meh move by Fletcher with which I am okay. This team should (SHOULD!!) be much tighter on D and not hemorrhaging high-quality opportunities. Hayes is very good at two-way play and the senior citizens added to D should improve own-zone coverage. Plus, maybe there is an extra little deal to be made for a young Swedish who hits a lot but who doesn't have a seat after the preseason music stops.

Hart (50-55) + Elliott (20-25) + Lyon / Sandstrom (5-10 games) should provide above-average goaltending.

Not playing at a 60-70 start pace until he breaks will be useful for Brian too.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Not playing at a 60-70 start pace until he breaks will be useful for Brian too.
Given how simultaneous injuries to all the goalies at NHL and AHL levels led to waiver pick ups like Pickard and McKenna, if it was my team, I would have found the most durable goalie available to be Hart's backup. I wouldn't count on Elliott or Lyon to save my job. Heaven help us if Hart does down.

BackToTheBrierePatch

Nope not today.
Feb 19, 2003
Concord, New Hampshire
I am not a fan of this move. Elliott is decent but he is 34 and hasn't been healthy for two years. At least it's only a one year deal at 2 million and I realize the UFA market isn't very good for back ups but this isn't a risk I would have taken. Hart is the real deal but to think he won't experience some ups and downs throughout his first full NHL season is probably foolish. The Flyers needed a really good back up goalie they can rely on to potentially play 30-40 games this season. I'm just not convinced that Elliott will be that guy but I certainly hope I am wrong.

Im not crazy about it either. But the backup goalie market is thin. They went with the guy they know. Odds are very high he will be used properly since we dont have the dredge anymore behind the bench

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Im not crazy about it either. But the backup goalie market is thin. They went with the guy they know. Odds are very high he will be used properly since we dont have the dredge anymore behind the bench
I agree. I don't think it's a horrible move especially since they got him for only one year at 2 million. Just not what I would have done and it's a little risky since he's been hurt for two years.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Not sure if this was posted yet.

Have to think the Flyers were talking to guys like Smith, McElhinney, and Kinkaid in addition to Talbot and Elliott. Everyone else would have been out of their price range and looking for bigger roles. If Elliott stays healthy he's as good or better than any of those guys. That's a big if to me though. Don't hate the move, but not what I would have done.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
So why did we need to acquire Talbot again?
Because you roll the dice on that change of scenery. What other scenery can a player come from that has a higher chance of working out well for the new team than that clusterf*** of a culture in Edmonton? Nobody, literally anywhere knows what in god's name is going on up there. But if talent leaves and thrives it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

You throw Mrazek into this equation and you realize how unpredictable it is. But the bottom line is that these things are known to happen. There's rock hard proof of it that can't be shot down with any stupid meta statistics.

FatTugboatFlahr

Apr 6, 2012
Philadelphia
Because you roll the dice on that change of scenery. What other scenery can a player come from that has a higher chance of working out well for the new team than that cluster**** of a culture in Edmonton? Nobody, literally anywhere knows what in god's name is going on up there. But if talent leaves and thrives it wouldn't be a surprise to anyone.

You throw Mrazek into this equation and you realize how unpredictable it is. But the bottom line is that these things are known to happen. There's rock hard proof of it that can't be shot down with any stupid meta statistics.
He played like 3 games here and then they apparently parted ways because Cam wants to start somewhere (duh). The trade was f***ing stupid.

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
Seems like the best idea going forward, Carter Hart knows it is his job to lose and Elliot can play at some sort of 1A level when need be. Split the starts 60/40 and go from there.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Seems like the best idea going forward, Carter Hart knows it is his job to lose and Elliot can play at some sort of 1A level when need be. Split the starts 60/40 and go from there.
Hart has to play well and earn his time. However, you also don't want Elliott playing too much for the purposes of him being able to stay healthy and effective throughout the season. I think the ideal split would be something like Hart 50 / Elliott 32.

Qyburn

Apr 2, 2012
Allentown
He played like 3 games here and then they apparently parted ways because Cam wants to start somewhere (duh). The trade was ****ing stupid.
You're just going to ignore that the team was flailing and floundering desperately for help at the position, I suppose. There's no reason to discuss it further if you're not going to acknowledge that. In fact I actually got ahead of myself, optimist that I am. I didn't see that obvious omission getting worked into the narrative. I assumed less shittiness.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
People who think the Talbot trade was pointless have no idea. The move was no risk, high reward. They took a shot on him bouncing back after two down years in Edmonton and potentially coming back to play in tandem with Hart. It didn't work out, but in return they gave up a guy they waived earlier in the year with no takers, who is also a UFA who had no future here. The only thing of value they gave up was comcast's money to pay Talbot down the stretch.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
He played like 3 games here and then they apparently parted ways because Cam wants to start somewhere (duh). The trade was ****ing stupid.
I’d do that trade again for sure. It made sense and had the potential to be good for us.

The problem was everything that happened after the trade because it made no sense that they used him so little and didn’t give him a chance to prove anything.

He’s had success in the past and if he could’ve shown a reason to think he could get back to that level, he’d have been a perfect 1B partner for Hart next year.

But in the end we made a trade just to make a trade and gained nothing for it. It was handled horribly, as is becoming expected.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Bleech. We traded an AHL goalie who was headed for FA for an extended "interview."

A non-event. Why people think twice about it is beyond me.

Reactions: renberg

Stumble40

Jun 24, 2019
The job was basically handed to Talbot,
All he had to do was not look like TOTAL Garbage in his couple starts here last year.
And well......

Reactions: Curufinwe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad