Brian Burke says likely no more hockey in 2020

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
I think we will have playoffs by July. Peak will have well passed. Cases will be in going for the foreseeable future. May be the new flu with the old flu sticking around. Doesn’t mean you cancel everything forever. Once you get the peak down you start testing really well and tracing with targeted isolation. Total country lockdown is what you do when you can’t target well. Korea and other countries have targeted well. We will catch up when the peak passes a few weeks go by.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
What will happen when we get hit with COVID-20 later in the year? If it's perpetual lockdown there will be no NHL because there will be a breakdown of civilization with riots and martial law all over the globe.

It doesn't just become COVID-20.

It's a virus, not a Sylvester Stallone franchise.
If it keeps coming back every flu season.
Did you miss the part where I said vaccine?

Polio was seasonal too. We vaccinated it.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Yes, from a logistics perspective spectator sports should be amongst the last businesses to reopen; unless they plan to hold games with no fans. I'm unsure how feasible that would be economically. Fans are integral to the ambiance of a game. Can you imagine game 7 of the Stanley Cup in an empty arena?

i play beer league in front of 2 people. 1 works at the rink and the other just lurks. We play just fine

Reactions: YearlyLottery

Amazinmets73

Dec 1, 2015
The playoffs need to have fans. I wouldn’t play them without.

The regular season though, I really wouldn’t care. If they have to play October through March with no fans then so be it, as long as they’re back for when it matters. How they’d swing that financially though, I have no clue. But I’d be shocked if this thing was still out of control in a year from now.
Yup. What % of revenue is garnered from TV ad revenue and broadcasting rights as opposed to ticket sales?

I don't have an answer; can anyone more knowledgeable chime in?

webdev

Nov 3, 2017
It doesn't just become COVID-20.

It's a virus, not a Sylvester Stallone franchise.

Did you miss the part where I said vaccine?

Polio was seasonal too. We vaccinated it.

Every attempt at vaccines for previous corona viruses have failed. It's not like making a seasonal flu vaccine, this could take years to develop.

They might figure it out but don't assume they will.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
Every attempt at vaccines for previous corona viruses have failed. It's not like making a seasonal flu vaccine, this could take years to develop.

They might figure it out but don't assume they will.

Source?

They just started testing a vaccine not too long ago. The testing process could take up to a year.

Reactions: Machinehead

exHornet

May 14, 2014
Why would anyone in their right mind think we would miss any games next year. Delusional.

Hardly. It's one thing to slowly reopen the economy and get back to normal business. It's another thing altogether to convince people it's OK for 20,000 of them to sit in an arena together. It's also way too early to dismiss the possibility of a fall breakout all over again, like what happened in 1918. All of these things will be taken into account when decisions are made. This is the type of event that will change certain facets of human behavior for a long, long time.

There's a lot of discussion along these lines about college football for next year, the thought being that a lot of people just won't be willing to sit with 100K other people for a couple of hours in very cramped quarters.

It's way too early to know for sure, but dismissing out of hand that the NHL season might be at least significantly delayed is foolish. I don't think the season will get canceled, but I think it's more likely than not that it will be delayed/abbreviated.

LeftWingLocked

Feb 24, 2018
I just can't see the NBA or NHL finishing their seasons at this point unless they do something wild like playing in 1 arena and quarantining everyone for 2 months. At that point, why even bother? Things are getting very very ugly here and half the country is operating like business as normal. Until we get a 30 day national shut down (That means close borders, airports), then nothing will change. People don't seem to understand that we've just started, we aren't even close to peak. It sucks but what can you do? We have to find a vaccine.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Large gatherings will be forbidden until there is a vaccine or the virus has run its course and there's herd immunity.

It takes 12-18 months to test a vaccine. Best case scenario is a shortened season starting in early 2021.

We might never have major sporting events and concerts again. Climate change and increasing world population mean that going forward we might have a pandemic like this every few years.

I read an academic paper yesterday (no link handy, sorry) that laid out the appropriate steps for society returning to normal. Burke's thoughts are consistent with that. We are looking at months before most people can go back to work and school, and years of work to improve to our health care system before things can go completely back to normal.

Reactions: Jacob

93gilmour93

Feb 27, 2010
Not sure if we get playoffs this year or not but I definitely think the 20/21 season will start in October

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
When the season was put on pause I thought that maybe the US could maneuver quickly enough to avoid the brunt of this and we would see normalcy return sooner rather than later. I have been completely robbed of that thought as the total ineptness of this presidency is proven yet again. American bungling of the initial stages of this pandemic will cause this to last much longer than it potentially could have. I am now willing to bet money that we dont see pro sports come back in the same way until at least 2021

dragonballgtz

Jul 30, 2014
If I was a betting man, I would have to agree with him. Until there is a vaccine I do not see mass gatherings being a thing let alone the NHLPA risking the lives of their members.

NorCalhockey

Jan 6, 2017
Well ya see half of the USA doesnt believe in this and neither does their leadership group so it will never go away at this rate.
When the season was put on pause I thought that maybe the US could maneuver quickly enough to avoid the brunt of this and we would see normalcy return sooner rather than later. I have been completely robbed of that thought as the total ineptness of this presidency is proven yet again. American bungling of the initial stages of this pandemic will cause this to last much longer than it potentially could have. I am now willing to bet money that we dont see pro sports come back in the same way until at least 2021
For all my fellow NHL fans who are eligible to vote in US elections in Nov. 2020, THIS is why we need to elect politicians who believe in science, and let medical experts take the lead on pandemics. Effective leadership can make a difference in how a country handles societal upheaval (see: South Korea) versus ineffective/incompetent leadership (see: Italy/USA).

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Large gatherings will be forbidden until there is a vaccine or the virus has run its course and there's herd immunity.

It takes 12-18 months to test a vaccine. Best case scenario is a shortened season starting in early 2021.

We might never have major sporting events and concerts again. Climate change and increasing world population mean that going forward we might have a pandemic like this every few years.

I read an academic paper yesterday (no link handy, sorry) that laid out the appropriate steps for society returning to normal. Burke's thoughts are consistent with that. We are looking at months before most people can go back to work and school, and years of work to improve to our health care system before things can go completely back to normal.

"Back to normal"

There will be no going back to normal if everything doesn't open up by the end of next month.

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010

As a Canadian I'd like to know what you think the US could have done differently? I keep seeing all the anti-trumpers saying they are dropping the ball. But watching the daily press conferences they seem to really be on top of things. So where do you feel the adminstration has gone wrong?

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I think hockey is done on this planet...we need to find another planet to inhabit and build ice rinks there far from earth and it's viruses.

PGHSports

Feb 24, 2007
I think we will have playoffs by July. Peak will have well passed. Cases will be in going for the foreseeable future. May be the new flu with the old flu sticking around. Doesn’t mean you cancel everything forever. Once you get the peak down you start testing really well and tracing with targeted isolation. Total country lockdown is what you do when you can’t target well. Korea and other countries have targeted well. We will catch up when the peak passes a few weeks go by.

Well Virginia put there shelter in pLace through Mid-June.. Pa has been cancelling events into Mid-August, NYC is in total meltdown with hundreds getting it a day, and that is expected to increase and the death rate will increase.

Let's not forget Dr Fucci said they expect a second outbreak next winter.

NFL coaches were briefed that at least there season may not start on time, if that is true how is there going to be hockey? I think NHL and NBA will call it by the end of April with Trump now extending the distancing deadline to then and most likely beyond. I really think the next sporting even you see live won't be until The Maters of 2021.

eanyills

Aug 7, 2015
As a Canadian I'd like to know what you think the US could have done differently? I keep seeing all the anti-trumpers saying they are dropping the ball. But watching the daily press conferences they seem to really be on top of things. So where do you feel the adminstration has gone wrong?

Well, for starters, claiming it was a liberal hoax and denying that it was anything to give a second thought to for over a month when every health expert in the country was sounding alarm bells.

It also didn’t help to continuously deny and downplay the seriousness of the situation which undermined social distancing and quarantine efforts. State governments worked in spite of the federal government in many instances.

Reactions: MikeYEG

lettuceAA

Dec 16, 2010
Well, for starters, claiming it was a liberal hoax and denying that it was anything to give a second thought to for over a month when every health expert in the country was sounding alarm bells.

It also didn’t help to continuously deny and downplay the seriousness of the situation which undermined social distancing and quarantine efforts. State governments worked in spite of the federal government in many instances.

None of this is true, it's just talking points from the anti-trumpers. He never said it was a liberal hoax. He claimed Democrats were going to use it as their next weapon to attack him and he was right and it's why your repeating the talking points that are false.

Trump assembled a task force of the best medical minds in the country back In January.Im not sure when he ever downplayed anything. Do you actually watch the press conferences or just the 5 second clip on social media or the news.

The US is leadng the way on fighting the virus, with Innovation and trying different treatments, the world is lucky the US exists right now. They are testing over 100,000 people a day.

eanyills

Aug 7, 2015
None of this is true, it's just talking points from the anti-trumpers. He never said it was a liberal hoax. He claimed Democrats were going to use it as their next weapon to attack him and he was right and it's why your repeating the talking points that are false.

Trump assembled a task force of the best medical minds in the country back In January.Im not sure when he ever downplayed anything. Do you actually watch the press conferences or just the 5 second clip on social media or the news.

The US is leadng the way on fighting the virus, with Innovation and trying different treatments, the world is lucky the US exists right now. They are testing over 100,000 people a day.

So you really just wanted to post a question to pump up your boy Trump? You know you can find the video online where he called COVID-19 a liberal hoax, undermining any serious efforts to be proactive.

LOL that “the world is lucky the US exists right now.” Give me a break with that rhetoric.

I don’t have the time or care for people like you. Your thinly veiled agenda is obvious. Take care.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad