Brian Burke says likely no more hockey in 2020

ovythegiraffe

Nov 26, 2018
NBA I believe is more concerned about the playoffs than having a 82 game regular season for 20-21. Think they'd trade off a 60 game or fewer 20-21 regular season for playoffs that go until August or even September. Start their 20-21 season closer to Xmas.
From a purely sports angle this would make sense, but not so much financially. Playoffs take two months and have about 100 games, while in regular season you'd have 450 games in that amount of time. At least the non playoff teams would take a huge loss, so doubt they'll be ok with it

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I hate to agree but Burke is probably right. It’s a damn shame but I can’t see this thing getting better anytime soon.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I think you missed the point. That poster's talking about the economic devastation of such a a shut down being a bigger issue for people, not that they would stop caring about sports due to the time off
So you don't think that was covered by my collapse of civilization remark?

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I always find the people who like to brag about being into the worst possible outcome very odd. He sounds like a poster who is insistent player X has very low trade value that way when player X gets traded he can't be disappointed by the return.

Reactions: Machinehead

yeaher

May 3, 2019
Sports stars are going to be getting a pay cut across pretty much all leagues for the foreseeable future, because pretty much everyone is; it is a good thing though, as a sports lover, they occupy too much of a lot of peoples' time considering they really do not matter at all in the big scheme of things as evidence by the virus. The world goes on just fine without sports.

Justshootmore

Mar 13, 2018
If businesses shut down until 2021, not one person on this forum is going to care about about hockey in 8 months.

To be fair, even now, Hockey/Sports should not be anything people should be too concerned about (unless you work in sports).

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I anticipate that the NHL will be back in some capacity before then, but expect all of your sports to be in empty arenas until there's a vaccine.

A lot of experts speculate that the virus will be seasonal. That means we can get some normalcy back in the off-season, but we have to remember that the off-season means it decreases -- it doesn't disappear. A gathering of tens of thousands of people isn't smart and risks an off-season outbreak. We don't want that.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
I mean. Burke and no one else knows anything about this. No one knows when this will end. It's just useless speculation.

Stigma

May 24, 2015
Mississauga
I always find the people who like to brag about being into the worst possible outcome very odd. He sounds like a poster who is insistent player X has very low trade value that way when player X gets traded he can't be disappointed by the return.
Haha. Yep, human nature. The pandemic is like an endless Christmas morning to the downers of the world.

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
I anticipate that the NHL will be back in some capacity before then, but expect all of your sports to be in empty arenas until there's a vaccine.

A lot of experts speculate that the virus will be seasonal. That means we can get some normalcy back in the off-season, but we have to remember that the off-season means it decreases -- it doesn't disappear. A gathering of tens of thousands of people isn't smart and risks an off-season outbreak. We don't want that.
So we'll never have hockey again?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Too much negativity in here for me. Let’s put that positive energy out there that we will see hockey this season.
I think there will be a full season, starting in October...I don't think there is any way they can logistically finish this year, or have the playoffs, there will still be issues in some countries, and people will still be sick and possible transmissions through June...

NORiculous

Jan 13, 2006
Montreal
People like you are gonna make this thing last a whole lot longer than it needs to, if that's your mindset.

Where have you seen that's the contrary? What do you know that the rest of us don't?
China has started reopening after 2-3 months. Will see how it goes in April for them.

Based on China, unless there is a HUGE mess up in the states, I don’t see how this last to 2021.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
China has started reopening after 2-3 months. Will see how it goes in April for them.

Based on China, unless there is a HUGE mess up in the states, I don’t see how this last to 2021.
Yes, but Italy is making very little progress.

We'll have to see how it goes.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yes, from a logistics perspective spectator sports should be amongst the last businesses to reopen; unless they plan to hold games with no fans. I'm unsure how feasible that would be economically. Fans are integral to the ambiance of a game. Can you imagine game 7 of the Stanley Cup in an empty arena?
The playoffs need to have fans. I wouldn’t play them without.

The regular season though, I really wouldn’t care. If they have to play October through March with no fans then so be it, as long as they’re back for when it matters. How they’d swing that financially though, I have no clue. But I’d be shocked if this thing was still out of control in a year from now.

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
They would finish the hockey season only if Dana white is the commissioner.

SladeWilson23

I keep my promises.
Sponsor
Nov 3, 2014
New Jersey
this is a bad take. China is at the 3 month mark and if their numbers are true its finally under control there....

I'd be shocked at this point if this season isnt completely lost. Hopefully we can see hockey again in October

That's a big IF btw.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->