Brian Burke says likely no more hockey in 2020

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
If businesses shut down until 2021, not one person on this forum is going to care about about hockey in 8 months.

17 likes for such a weak and unlikely statement. You are basically saying professional sports are done forever now which I think probably requires a complete collapse of civilization. We missed a season before so history is not on your side.

If you think people will be more sympathetic to a labor dispute than a pandemic I have to express concern for your disturbing view of humanity.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina
Agreed. Here’s my projection
5c47dec2-8036-4e8d-8caa-28f856d90ada-jpeg.339458

Mr. President! You got a red sharpie! :laugh:

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
A month ago there were very few people that would've predicted we might not have a Stanley Cup champion this year as a result of COVID-19. Any predictions for a month from now let alone a year from now shouldn't be taken seriously. No one knows what is going to happen.

Ehhhh.

A month ago, if you were paying attention, I think it was obvious there was a risk of it happening. This didn’t just come out of no where. Hell, a week after what would have been a month ago, I was talking with my Statics professor and we got onto the subject of potentially needing to close the school down at some point. Like two days later the school officially talked to them about making plans for that eventuality.

Things happened fast, but they didn’t happen that fast. It wasn’t nothing and then something. It was just nothing here.

Not disagreeing that no one knows what is going to happen. Projections based on large changes(or any projections, really, but definitely those) get more difficult the further you go out, and eventually the range you’re talking about is huge. But based on what we’ve seen so far, and the way we’ve responded(or not responded), it definitely feels like 2 months is closer to a very generous minimum.

Reactions: TheDevilMadeMe

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Ah yes, Brian Burke the pandemic expert. No hockey person's opinion means anything for this, Bettman and the NHL itself has no idea what they're doing in this situation.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Ah yes, Brian Burke the pandemic expert. No hockey person's opinion means anything for this, Bettman and the NHL itself has no idea what they're doing in this situation.

No, they’re just following the trend. Which is what they should be doing. Have plans in place, and contingencies for those plans, but the best they can do is see where things are leading and try to anticipate when it’s going to open up again and be ready.

Personally, I think we’re done with this season. If we end up on the very generous side of the curve, there may be time for an abbreviated playoffs or a tournament like structure, but I think it’s more likely that the focus is going to be on whether next season starts on time. Just my take.

Reactions: Paul4587

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
17 likes for such a weak and unlikely statement. You are basically saying professional sports are done forever now which I think probably requires a complete collapse of civilization. We missed a season before so history is not on your side.

If you think people will be more sympathetic to a labor dispute than a pandemic I have to express concern for your disturbing view of humanity.

I think you missed the point. That poster's talking about the economic devastation of such a a shut down being a bigger issue for people, not that they would stop caring about sports due to the time off

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Businesses will likely open sooner but any sporting events... Depends really where each country is on that. Some may have adapted sooner than others. On the other hand there is the second wave...
NBA and NHL have 18k fans in an indoor arena. MLS and MLB can between 20-40k depending on stadium, majority are played outdoors. Football, both college and NFL are 70k plus. CFL around 20-30k.

Really tough for any business which depends on large crowds. Like Disney, concerts, conferences, etc.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
Disagree

Many wont be able to afford to go to games

But this is different than the lost season

Nhl is not to blame

But if we are looking at 2021 for games? I can see a few teams in trouble

If businesses remained closed throughout the entire year, people wouldn't be able to afford basic expenses, let alone hockey tickets. That was his point.

Fisticuffer

Mar 14, 2020
I think most people are staying positive, but at this point I think it's just a reality that we would be lucky to see next season actually start in October.
Yeah there’s a big difference between being unnecessarily negative and accepting a negative situation at face value. Right now there is very little on the positive side of the checklist. As the saying goes”it is what it is”.

WiLBoY

Aug 29, 2009
Most likely not. Anyone who works in health care is well aware that this will last more than a few months and a vaccine can't just be put out there immediately without testing.

Not surprised if hockey is cancelled for the rest of the year.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The NBA is hell bent on finishing the season. Whenever that may be. The NHL will do the same. Cuban has encouraging news:

Mavs' Cuban hopeful for mid-May NBA return
NBA I believe is more concerned about the playoffs than having a 82 game regular season for 20-21. Think they'd trade off a 60 game or fewer 20-21 regular season for playoffs that go until August or even September. Start their 20-21 season closer to Xmas.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad