Brian Burke says likely no more hockey in 2020

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Burke is crazy, no way! will be over in 2 months.
Sure about that? Didn't this start in December in China? It's almost April and it's still active in China. Numbers still rising in Canada and sky rocketing in USA. 2 months would be a dream for stuff to get back to normal. we're looking at 6+ months I think.
Going to most likely get alot worse.
Stay safe

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
People like you are gonna make this thing last a whole lot longer than it needs to, if that's your mindset.

Where have you seen that's the contrary? What do you know that the rest of us don't?

He’s/She is the type of person that licks public places toilet seats to prove that this virus is a hoax.

Or a troll like the bots on Instagram. :naughty:

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I think it is ridiculous that people are trying to make wide sweeping predictions on where we are going to be with this thing in a year. Not a single person knows how this is going to play out over the next number of months so why the f*** would Brian Burkes opinion on this mean a damn thing?

1. Type of person he is. Outspoken.
2. Educated guess. It’s really not that far fetched to think there may not be hockey. Now I know the NHL would not want that to happen and I could see them playing with empty arenas if needed. But it’s almost April and we haven’t come anywhere near the peak. I personally think there will be hockey in Oct but Burke’s comments aren’t that crazy...

JeanQuebecois

Feb 28, 2015
Gatineau, Québec
This season's f***ed for certain. I wish the NHL would just admit it already so than people can get refund for their tickets!

They should work on a plan for NEXT season. Tough that will require people to actually stay the f*** home. Too many people still think this is a hoax or plain refuse to listen.

sting13

Jul 30, 2011
Why would anyone listen to Burke. He was the one saying Dustin Byfuglien was skating again and going to play this season while Byfuglien's wife was posting pictures of them on the beach in the caribbean.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I agree with this 100%. I don't think people realize how much power the human mind really has.
I’m a pretty big believer in manifestation. While it may look bleak, I still think games this year is a possibility and the players showing the want to play and finish this season has me optimistic they’ll find a way to make this work.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
There are players in the league who have tested positive. Not a chance.
So? Players will have been quarantined for like 1.5 months by the time they think of skating again. As long as teams and their personnel take precautions, it’s possible to achieve.

It all depends how bad it gets in the USA, not because a player has got it before.

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
This season's f***ed for certain. I wish the NHL would just admit it already so than people can get refund for their tickets!

They should work on a plan for NEXT season. Tough that will require people to actually stay the f*** home. Too many people still think this is a hoax or plain refuse to listen.

Why is next season more important then the current season ? As this season is 85% completed it makes more sense to complete this season, no matter when that is including 2021. Why would you null and void a season that is almost completed, as opposed to starting afresh when something else could wipe out that season too, best to finish that which is already started.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
isn't a chance hockey will be played this season. Anyone that actually thinks so is out to lunch.

I feel there will be a 2020/21 season, but it will be a shortened one. Wont start on time and it will be a half season

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015
As others have said, it's hard to predict exactly how this will play out, but from my perspective, I don't believe we will see hockey until October at the earliest.

However, there's talk of a second viral round of infections, known as a "second wave," spiking around the world which could complicate things. Does this second wave happen in the fall with the cold season? If so, no hockey until 2021-2022. If another wave doesn't happen, expect the league to resume anywhere from October 2020 to January 2021.

Reactions: Ciao

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Sure about that? Didn't this start in December in China? It's almost April and it's still active in China. Numbers still rising in Canada and sky rocketing in USA. 2 months would be a dream for stuff to get back to normal. we're looking at 6+ months I think.
Going to most likely get alot worse.
Stay safe
This thing is going to be active everywhere until there is a vaccine. It’s not going away anytime soon. But if it peaks soon, there is an immunity built up from those who have recovered, and the healthcare system is given time to better prepare for treatment and potential waves, then they could probably finish out this years playoffs this summer. The whole world can’t sit still for ~12 months while a vaccine is being worked on.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
If businesses shut down until 2021, not one person on this forum is going to care about about hockey in 8 months.

Disagree

Many wont be able to afford to go to games

But this is different than the lost season

Nhl is not to blame

But if we are looking at 2021 for games? I can see a few teams in trouble

Bobby Terrance

Jul 21, 2018
Too much negativity in here for me. Let’s put that positive energy out there that we will see hockey this season.
I think most people are staying positive, but at this point I think it's just a reality that we would be lucky to see next season actually start in October.

Reactions: Ciao

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
I think it's more likely that they'll have games without fans rather than no games at all.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Is 2020 the worst year ever?
Most medieval historians would give the year 536AD as the worst year ever to be alive.

A mysterious fog plunged Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia into a perpetual darkness for 18 months. "For the sun gave forth its light without brightness, like the moon, during the whole year," wrote Byzantine historian Procopius. Temperatures in the summer of 536 fell 1.5C 34.7F to 2.5C 36.5F initiating the coldest decade in the past 2300 years. Snow fell that summer in China; crops failed; people starved. The Irish chronicles record "a failure of bread from the years 536–539." Then, in 541, bubonic plague struck the Roman port of Pelusium, in Egypt. What came to be called the Plague of Justinian spread rapidly, wiping out one-third to one-half of the population of the eastern Roman Empire and hastening its collapse.

Also 1349AD, 1666AD and 1918AD were really bad as well.

dubey

$$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$ 69 in 79 $$$$$$$*NICE*$$$$$$$
Oct 22, 2006
In your head
I'd put money (a lot of it) on NHL hockey this year
Most medieval historians would give the year 536AD as the worst year ever to be alive.

A mysterious fog plunged Europe, the Middle East, and parts of Asia into a perpetual darkness for 18 months. "For the sun gave forth its light without brightness, like the moon, during the whole year," wrote Byzantine historian Procopius. Temperatures in the summer of 536 fell 1.5C 34.7F to 2.5C 36.5F initiating the coldest decade in the past 2300 years. Snow fell that summer in China; crops failed; people starved. The Irish chronicles record "a failure of bread from the years 536–539." Then, in 541, bubonic plague struck the Roman port of Pelusium, in Egypt. What came to be called the Plague of Justinian spread rapidly, wiping out one-third to one-half of the population of the eastern Roman Empire and hastening its collapse.

Also 1349AD, 1666AD and 1918AD were really bad as well.
Imagine believing this is remotely close to being the worst year ever lol

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad