Confirmed with Link: Brett Kulak traded for Taormina and Valiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Lol ok...but I did.

The top end of each teams respective defenses ARE relevant when I brought up the point that he played 71 games on a much more talented defensive squad.

I'm familiar with Brett Kulak

I don't disagree with that...but in addition to Mike Reilly & Joe Morrow who played NHL games for the Habs last year, you may not be aware, as you said, you didn't watch many Habs games, but I did, so i'll provide a refresher.

Brett Lernout, Mark Streit, Brandon Davidson, Jakub Jerabek & Rinat Valiev

all played games for the Habs last year.

So i'm sorry if I believe that had Brett Kulak been a Hab last year, he would of saw some NHL games as well.

But that's what I believe and I don't think you're really in a position to tell me i'm wrong.

you are far too obsessed with being "right"... no one tried to make you "wrong".

i posted an assesment. you countered it with an assessment that was not grounded (flames defense "depth").

Mete, Morrow, Schlemko, Benn were all players that played significant number of games for the habs in the bottom pair/4.

due to far greater injuries than the flames dealt with, we also had Reilly, Lernout, Jerabek, Juulsen, Davidson play 10+ games. Valiev and Streit played 2 games each, which is inconsequential.

Flames had a total of 8 players play D for them in the NHL last year (we had 11 in the list above, excluding Alzner, Weber, Petry) Their top 6 players each played 70+ games. Their depth was not tested.

No doubt that Kulak would have "seen NHL games" as well last year, that was never in question.

When you need to shift arguments constantly to try and validate an opinion, its a strong indicator that said opinion is skating on thin ice... much better to let it go than continue arguing just for the sake of it... doesn't really matter.

Gainesvillain

Apr 9, 2013
Another BargainBin special. Master of the marginal forwards/fringe defensemen trades.

Kulak is kinda Brandon Davidson 2.0 though. Good for Laval I guess.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Valiev was intriguing but Kulak is a much more proven commodity as he was a regular for Calgary last year. Not overly familiar with him, but I do know he was seen as a quality NHLer for them that was penciled in to their top 6. Former teammate of Gallagher’s. Will be interesting to see what this means, could mean Alzner gets dealt.

Reactions: Redux91

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Kulak is a decent player. Good #7, passable #6.

I liked Valiev, but he probably wasn't going to be more than a bottom pairing defenseman at best, and we gain a contract spot in the 1-for-2 deal.

Kulak may have played more NHL games last year than Valiev ever plays.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Valiev was intriguing but Kulak is a much more proven commodity as he was a regular for Calgary last year. Not overly familiar with him, but I do know he was seen as a quality NHLer for them that was penciled in to their top 6. Former teammate of Gallagher’s. Will be interesting to see what this means, could mean Alzner gets dealt.
Only if Mike Milbury is an NHL GM once again ;)

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Only if Mike Milbury is an NHL GM once again ;)
Alzner may be a meme on these boards, but he does have value across the league- though his contract doesn’t help him. If we were to eat some salary, plenty of teams would be interested.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
you are far too obsessed with being "right"... no one tried to make you "wrong".
Well you've found it necessary for the better part of the last 2hrs, to let me know that Matt Taormina and Rinat Valiev were better assets than Kulak.

Maybe worry less about psycho-analyzing me and stick to the topic of discussion

i posted an assesment. you countered it with an assessment that was not grounded (flames defense "depth").
My assessment was grounded...

Mete, Morrow, Schlemko, Benn were all players that played significant number of games for the habs in the bottom pair/4.

due to far greater injuries than the flames dealt with, we also had Reilly, Lernout, Jerabek, Juulsen, Davidson play 10+ games. Valiev and Streit played 2 games each, which is inconsequential.

Flames had a total of 8 players play D for them in the NHL last year (we had 11 in the list above, excluding Alzner, Weber, Petry) Their top 6 players each played 70+ games. Their depth was not tested.

No doubt that Kulak would have "seen NHL games" as well last year, that was never in question
Then what are we debating then?

When you need to shift arguments constantly to try and validate an opinion, its a strong indicator that said opinion is skating on thin ice... much better to let it go than continue arguing just for the sake of it... doesn't really matter.
I haven't shifted arguments once...

You said Valiev and Taormina were better assets than Kulak.

I just reminded you that one played 71 NHL games on a much deeper team.

That is all...I never said Kulak was better or anything, I just challenged you on your "assessment".

I mean, you readily admit you didnt really watch the Habs last year.

That pretty much makes your opinion on this matter worthless

You're the one on his soapbox trying to "school" me about which depth dman is more valuable.

How about you start by actually watching Taormina and Valiev play, then you can come back with your assessments.

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
6"2, 187 lbs., 25 years old. Eight points in 72 games last year, all played at the NHL level. Yawn.

Forecaster:

ASSETS:
Has a projectable frame and the ability to play a physical brand of defense from the back end. Owns a pretty good point shot, so he can be a factor on the power play at lower levels.
FLAWS:
Needs to continue to add more bulk to his 6-2 frame so as to maximize output in the professional ranks. At times, he may take bad penalties. Must work on his D-zone coverage.
CAREER POTENTIAL:
Solid all-round defenseman with a little upside.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Typical Bargain Bin move, I expect nothing more. He's the master of depth AHL players and trading with the same 4 teams over and over again. Jesus why is the universe doing this to us? What did we do to deserve this tool?
Every GM makes AHL moves as well, do you want him to stop doing them altogether? Not really worth complaining about to be honest.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
What's Kulak's skating like?

Also, did he ever play center? :sarcasm:

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Well the Plek trade can be summed up as follows:

Pleks and Taormina traded for

Pleks, Kulak, second rounder and Shinkaruk. Calgary has now both Valiev and Rychel that were traded to Mtl in the Pleks trade.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Not the greatest of trade for the Rocket....but saving 1 spot for the 50-contract limit.

I'm afraid in the mind of MB this is a trade for the ch. Kulak spent the last season in the NHL. He's bad and probably not any better than Valiev but i heard he got rispek and kiriktr and he's Canadian instead of Russian.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Seems like the Flames think that he is a NHL defensman, but that they have too much depth. Also, rumours are that he may have needed a fresh start after arbitration.
Flame fan here. Some further information on why Kulak was traded. On most teams he's a #6 d-man but he's still fairly young too (24 years old). He just got beat out for his job by highly touted 19 year old defensive prospect Jusso Valimaki (drafted 16th overall in 2017)

Reactions: sharks9

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
220px-Raised_fist.jpg

will be usefull

Reactions: Runner77

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
What's Kulak's skating like?

He's a rather mobile and smooth four-way skater. Not elite level, but he can play a tight gap effortlessly and skate the puck out of trouble when needed. He's also got an excellent first pass and he's solid in the corners. I'd compare his overall game to someone like Matt Niskanen at the about the same age, with similar upside. If he has a weakness it's that his point shot didn't hit the net all that often, but I have a feeling a lot of that had to do with Glen Gulutzan's draconian systems.

He's a good and consistent player, who was Calgary's fifth best defenseman last year carrying his pair. When I look at MTL's Dmen, I wouldn't be shocked if Kulak found a fit right beside Shea Weber as that's a pairing that could have chemistry.

Reactions: Runner77

LyricalLyricist

Aug 21, 2007
Montreal
Yes they are traded sometimes.....but mostly traded away by Bergevin.....and Dorion.
French speaking GM must start to have a really bad rep in the NHL, hope Brisebois doesn't screw up in Tampa.

What? I don't even get the point of this comment.

Dorion got Duchene.
MB did trade Subban but he got Weber, inferior or not...he's a star. Drouin is a potential stud too.

I have no idea why it became some French speaking thing either.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
Kulak is exactly the kind of D we need, just cool, calm, smart, doesn't make mistakes... plus he can skate and move the puck. He's a solid add. The question is who's spot is he taking.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia