Confirmed with Link: Brett Kulak traded for Taormina and Valiev

Status
Not open for further replies.

WG

Sep 9, 2008
Valiev was intriguing but Kulak is a much more proven commodity as he was a regular for Calgary last year. Not overly familiar with him, but I do know he was seen as a quality NHLer for them that was penciled in to their top 6. Former teammate of Gallagher’s. Will be interesting to see what this means, could mean Alzner gets dealt.
Seriously. There is no transaction out there that would or should link to dealing Alzner. If someone calls and offers to take Alzner in exchange for a book of Michel Therrien witticisms and a warm Labatt's Blue you take it and run. If at that point you need another D surely we can find some garbage waiver calibre D to do Alzner's job. Trade a 7th to Philly and put Gritty on the third pair, I don't care.

Reactions: CoopersFalls

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
220px-Raised_fist.jpg

will be usefull

2j5e0w.jpg

Habs4Life

Aug 29, 2003
Saint John, NB
Benn is likely gone and Kulak will take his spot. Kulak actually played pretty well for the flames last year, they just didn't have anymore space for him, it was a numbers game.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He's a rather mobile and smooth four-way skater. Not elite level, but he can play a tight gap effortlessly and skate the puck out of trouble when needed. He's also got an excellent first pass and he's solid in the corners. I'd compare his overall game to someone like Matt Niskanen at the about the same age, with similar upside. If he has a weakness it's that his point shot didn't hit the net all that often, but I have a feeling a lot of that had to do with Glen Gulutzan's draconian systems.

He's a good and consistent player, who was Calgary's fifth best defenseman last year carrying his pair. When I look at MTL's Dmen, I wouldn't be shocked if Kulak found a fit right beside Shea Weber as that's a pairing that could have chemistry.

I'm sorry but anyone who got an excellent first pass do more than 8 points even on a 3rd pairing. Niskanen did 35 points at 21 years old ...

Reactions: Chris Cutter

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
I don't think he did. He's like Lernout (or Petheryn) or any other borderline AHLers. Can he play in the NHL? yes. Can he be good and make a difference (even as a 3rd duo guy)? more than likely not.
The guy was an NHLer for the full year last year and performed well.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
You have to take OvermanKingGainer's assessment of Kulak with a grain of salt. He has a real hate on for Michael Stone our #5 D-man and I swear he's got a bromance going with Kulak.

No, Kulak wasn't our #5 d-man. At the start of the year he wasn't even our #6 as he was fighting with Bartkowski for that position. He's a good skater and has some offensive capabilities but like any young average d-man he makes mistakes. Plain and simple he was beat out of his position by a 19 year old rookie that played in the WHL last year and this is the second time that Kulak has cleared waivers.

He's a work in progress. He'll make mistakes but hopefully the number of mistakes will decrease as his NHL experience increases. He currently has 101 games of NHL experience (71 of those were last year and he had 3rd pairing minutes).

Reactions: Chris Cutter

Habaneros

Habs Cup champs 2010
Oct 31, 2011
You have to take OvermanKingGainer's assessment of Kulak with a grain of salt. He has a real hate on for Michael Stone our #5 D-man and I swear he's got a bromance going with Kulak.

No, Kulak wasn't our #5 d-man. At the start of the year he wasn't even our #6 as he was fighting with Bartkowski for that position. He's a good skater and has some offensive capabilities but like any young average d-man he makes mistakes. Plain and simple he was beat out of his position by a 19 year old rookie that played in the WHL last year and this is the second time that Kulak has cleared waivers.

He's a work in progress. He'll make mistakes but hopefully the number of mistakes will decrease as his NHL experience increases. He currently has 101 games of NHL experience (71 of those were last year and he had 3rd pairing minutes).

I think when he asked the Flames for triple his salary ..that was the end he beat himself out of town ..

The Flames GM wasn't happy with that demand at all.then he took Flames to arb...that sealed the deal right there....lots of bad blood ..i mean it's not normal to see a GM put a player on waivers right before an arbitration hearing..lol....GM vs player with bad blood ..most always ends up with the player getting shipped out...

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I'm sorry but anyone who got an excellent first pass do more than 8 points even on a 3rd pairing. Niskanen did 35 points at 21 years old ...

Flames didn't play a system that utilized anyone's first pass for offense. Not Giordano, not Brodie, not Hamilton, not Kulak. Never mind that kind of analysis is lazy AF.

You may not get a point for a play like this, but this goal doesn't happen without this first pass, and Kulak's career in Calgary was full of really nice breakouts.

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
Alzner - Weber
Mete - Petry
Benn - Juulsen
Rielly, Ouellette, Schlemko, lernout...

Don't know what the need for kulak was... Would have preferred keeping Valiev, more upside.

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
Seems appropriate that the Habs & Flames are wheeling & dealing together, they being the last two Canadian teams that won the SCC.:bee::wave::bee: Sting like a Bee!!!...:madfire::madfire::madfire:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->