Recalled/Assigned: Brennan/Campbell/Kapanen/Lindberg up, Brown/Hyman/Valiev/Carrick down

TOG26

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
Good work bonus to the guys. NHL salary for a few days for the hard work on making the Marlies the top AHL team.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
They aren't doing it to tank, they want to look at more players.

I guess they need a longer look at Nylander.

Pyrophorus

Jun 1, 2009
Eastern GTA
This has nothing to do with the tank and everything to do with player evaluation.

What kind of callup rules do these go under? Still emergency? I guess the likes of Sosh, Komarov, Froese and Hunwick are still injured?

I thought Smith was waived, because Froese was coming back.

sommervr

Feb 25, 2013
Nylander and Reilly need to be sent down. Gardiner and Marincin need to come down with a bad case of Beach Vacation. Someone needs to tell Bernier he looks fat in those pants to trigger his French Goalie Headcase Syndrome

burpsalot

Feb 12, 2015
The reasoning isn't the tank nation theory. I mentioned this yesterday in another thread. I didn't think it would be so many of them all at once though.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=116138365&postcount=27

We'll start to see the return of all our Marlies over the next week. We don't want to drop them all on the doorstep of the Marlies on the 10th of April. They have to be reacquainted with their Marlies team-mates, some existing Marlies that have been performing may see a bit of a reduced roll. It's going to take a handful of games to get back to normal before the AHL playoffs.

I thought we would see a few sent down after the Buffalo game, call some up for that game if injured players aren't back, send more down after Saturday's game along with new call ups rinse & repeat until the season is over.

I figured Kapanen & Lindberg would have been 2 of those recalled, Colin Smith should be given a chance as well.

Point is, they want all the Marlies players clicking & playing like a team when the AHL playoffs start.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
I think this is a player evaluation move, but there is no doubt that it makes the team weaker. All four of those guys sent down have legit shots at making the team full time next year.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Brennan is the tank move. The rest are evaluation.

sometimes you just don't think, do you?

how about the premise of giving TJ a big fat thank you for being the rock, the leader the juggernaut down there , the all important foundation that their season was built on

give the man some increased pay as a bonus and some luxury time, let the others in the league see him back in the pro s maybe he gets another shot with someone next year

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
They are all emergency based call ups.

Leafs still have a lot of injured players.

They would have to be because Campbell and Brennan require waivers. The only thing that confuses me is Carrick. I'm pretty sure he was one of the 4 call ups and not an emergency call up. Unless Soshnikov was one of the call ups and Carrick was an emergency call up but that's not what was said by Sportsnet. Soshnikov being one of the call ups would make more sense because they still haven't sent him down. :dunno:

I love the cap friendly site and they're pretty good at listing which players are emergency call ups however they have not done this with the players that were called up at the trade deadline.

Morguee

Jan 22, 2010
They would have to be because Campbell and Brennan require waivers. The only thing that confuses me is Carrick. I'm pretty sure he was one of the 4 call ups and not an emergency call up. Unless Soshnikov was one of the call ups and Carrick was an emergency call up but that's not what was said by Sportsnet. Soshnikov being one of the call ups would make more sense because they still haven't sent him down. :dunno:

I love the cap friendly site and they're pretty good at listing which players are emergency call ups however they have not done this with the players that were called up at the trade deadline.

I didn't think there was re callable waivers anymore. Waiver to go down but not up is what I think it is. So they are probably here to stay.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
Great move. The guys being sent down have already demonstrated that they can play at this level. Now we get to see a few other kids audition.

Worst case scenario is that we lose a few more games, right? ;)

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
Jesus what's going on.

Surprised to see Lindberg get a look. He's been very good for the Marlies... but I'm not sure I agree to send down Brown, Carrick AND Hyman.

I guess it's just a matter of giving them a chance to play a NHL game or two.

What difference does that make? I mean Brown, Carrick and Hyman have already shown what they can do in this league and why you are so surprised to see Lindberg?

HeroNtF

Jul 9, 2012
will cambell and brennan need to hit waivers ? maybe seeing if a team will take a bite at seasons end and open a spot on marlies ?

either way it keeps leafs games interesting to watch.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Smart.

Hyman, Brown, Carrick and Valiev were playing too well.

Brennan and Campbell should be hilarious to watch at the NHL level.

bobermay

Mar 6, 2009
Fredericton
Kapanen is likely only around for a couple of games... if he were to play the remaining 6 games of the season, that puts him to 10 which burns a year on his ELC.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
What difference does that make? I mean Brown, Carrick and Hyman have already shown what they can do in this league and why you are so surprised to see Lindberg?

It was fairly unexpected. It does make sense though.

I didn't expect Lindberg to get a look this season. If he's getting a look, I could see Colin Smith getting a call soon too.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Is it to avoid burning a contract year on the guys we just sent down?

everyone sent down is at least 20. All their contracts have already started. Contracts count when you're in the AHL too.

Kapanen is the only one who's contract still hasn't started. He's played 4 games this year and would need to get to 10 to start his contract. That would be all remaining 6 games. I assume he won't be playing all 6 so his contract slides.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Kapanen is likely only around for a couple of games... if he were to play the remaining 6 games of the season, that puts him to 10 which burns a year on his ELC.

Soshnikov and Holland should be back soon. Komarov and Froese also could be healthy enough in the last couple games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad