Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
He is one of our leading hitters. I'm not knocking PDG, he is another. If I'm playing defense tho I'd rather get hit by PDG all day vs Lemieux.

Defenseman don't like retrieving the puck in the corners when they know a hard hit is coming
. I'm not saying they are worried about him but it does make some difference.

Lol, NHL defensemen probably laugh when they see Brendan Lemeiux when they do a Shoulder Check...Cant' remember the last time he made a big hit or separated someoen from the puck that led to a big play.

A 4th for Lemieux is good value.

Makes room for Kravtsov now. Lemieux isn't being protected in expansion.

Will miss the extra penalty drawing, but it's whatever.

Move along.

Lemieux was +4 in penalty differential in his time as a Ranger, the same as Boo Nieves and Connor Brickley (in 14 games)...he took as many as he drew.

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
He is one of our leading hitters. I'm not knocking PDG, he is another. If I'm playing defense tho I'd rather get hit by PDG all day vs Lemieux.

Defenseman don't like retrieving the puck in the corners when they know a hard hit is coming. I'm not saying they are worried about him but it does make some difference.
Lemieux is not an effective hitter because none of them maintain possession. they all come when the puck's already gone. they're useless, like Glass' hits when he was here.

PdG lays some unexpected hits on the forecheck a lot which are actually useful.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
Lemieux has a $1.55M caphit.

That's pretty much the whole story, folks.

Easily replaceable. Y'all overrate the hell out of him and the 'toffness' he provides.

But feel free to die on the hill that is "Lemieux provides a lot of value to the Rangers"

I don’t get the love either. He’s a JAG who yaps all over the ice. Maybe it’s the last name or the fact that the team is devoid of physical players. Easily replaceable and I won’t miss his reputation penalties.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sounds great in theory, I'll just counter with this hypothetical. Mika scored like crazy against the Flyers and was not physically targeted by them for it at all.

Pitchers in the National League are less likely to throw at someone because they have to bat.

There is a reason teams have these kind of players and you're right he is replaceable but we don't currently have that replacement that I'm aware of.
Teams have these players -those who are willing to be tough but have very little tangible impact on the game- less and less.

Nobody physically targeted Mika because you don't get attacked for scoring goals anymore.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
With how he plays a 4th rounder is a good return. The problem is I have a feeling he only performs as poorly as he does bc we don't let him do what he does best.

He also just wasn't all that great too tho.

Yet another L for our pro scouting dept. Yet another guy who didn't take any sort of step up offensively with this regime. There was hope he might

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Teams have these players -those who are willing to be tough but have very little tangible impact on the game- less and less.

Nobody physically targeted Mika because you don't get attacked for scoring goals anymore.

We will see how it works out. Teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Buffalo I have no doubt it won't matter. There are some teams that it might.

I'm not saying attacked but targeted. I remember the Rangers targeted Erik Karlsson in the playoffs, hit him however they could the entire series.

This team probably isn't a playoff team but if we were, how would we respond to players running Mika, Fox and Panarin over and over? Would Lemieux or similar player maybe matter then?

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
We will see how it works out. Teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Buffalo I have no doubt it won't matter. There are some teams that it might.

I'm not saying attacked but targeted. I remember the Rangers targeted Erik Karlsson in the playoffs, hit him however they could the entire series.

This team probably isn't a playoff team but if we were, how would we respond to players running Mika, Fox and Panarin over and over? Would Lemieux or similar player maybe matter then?
Teams would do that whether Lemieux were there or not.

Do you really think the world's top athletes playing one of the world's toughest sports just stop trying to win because they might get punched?

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Posted in wrong place, meant for here
"So excited about Reunanen, Pajuniemi, Garand, Berard, Vierling, but a 4th is meaningless return?
for a guy who rarely makes a difference, refs watch too closely, and plays bottom 3 minutes?
I liked Lemieux, hoped he'd do more, but am ok w this"

So excited about Reunanen, Pajuniemi, Garand, Berard, Vierling, but a 4th is meaningless return? for a guy who rarely makes a difference, refs watch too closely, and plays bottom 3 minutes?
I liked Lemieux, hoped he'd do more, but am ok w this

Last edited:

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Teams would do that whether Lemieux were there or not.

Do you really think the world's top athletes playing one of the world's toughest sports just stop trying to win because they might get punched?

Yes I do actually, there are plenty of players who aren't willing to go the dirty areas in every sport including hockey.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
One of the most hateable players. I dont know if you remember this ? but there was a huge line brawl between the rangers and devils in a playoff game ( elimination if I recall correctly) and the back cover of the Post the next morning was Graves punching Claude in the stomach and Lemieux’s face of anguish was forever imprinted in my young head.
I always said that there are players u hate until they’re on your team... I would’ve hated him in a NYR sweater too

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
The potential value the Rangers saw in Lemieux was the same value the Sabres and Jets saw - the hope that maybe he becomes more than a fourth line LW and maybe evolves into more of a middle six guy.

That hasn’t happened and likely won’t happen on this roster, with Lemieux hitting the age of 25 or 26 next year. So, with $1.5 million due to Lemieux over this season and next, and with someone like Barron knocking on the door, the Rangers went for the cap space and the roster spot.

That’s pretty much the long and short of it.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Yes I do actually, there are plenty of players who aren't willing to go the dirty areas in every sport including hockey.
There are plenty of players who are and they exist on every team. Having a guy that beats those players into being afraid is just not a thing that exists.

Marchand is in his 12th season, he's a midget, and nobody has stopped him yet.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Guys like Rooney and Blackwell is the perfect modern 4th liner. Speed and cycling should be able to be done competently on all four lines. The good Rangers teams of the mid 2010's were built like this. They cycled like hell and had guys in the bottom six that could win a playoff game by being able to pot one.

These players are available in UFA every year for league minimum or under $1 million. This summer will be no exception with a flat cap. Just need to have the pro scouts do their job.
And then they went and ruined it by signing Glass. But you are 100% right. Boyle-Moore-Dorsett/Carcillo was a really important piece of the cup team.

As for Lemieux I honestly thought he could be a part of that type of 4th line but it never materialized for whatever reason.

Reactions: Cmox and egelband

Igor Shestyorkin

#26, the sickest of 'em all.
Apr 17, 2015
Moscow, RUS
Honest talk here.
Quinn has the kid living in fear. You can see it. You gotta let a guy like that cross the line sometimes.
His play has not been that great. A big part of that I think is him being afraid to take penalties.
That said, I don't think Lemieux ever really has gotten serious about his conditioning. He looks gassed alot. Watch LA move him at the deadline for at least a 3rd.
The only thing I can say is the team knows the player better than we do. They know whats going on in the locker room, they know a guys habits and whatnot. Quinn doesn't like the guy. I guess this means Quinn is going to be around for a while.

Afraid to take penalties?

Lemieux has the most PIMs in the NHL LMAOOOOOO.

Reactions: mrhockey193195

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad