Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
I don't need to see glimpses of some 2nd line or even 3rd liner. I want to see a 4th liner who sticks up for his teammates, takes the body hard, and can chip in a little on offense. Sure you can find these players on the market but they are usually older players that you know there is no hope for getting any better.

I seriously don't understand this trade at all. If someone offered us a 2nd or something I could understand, but a 4th? What is even the point. Lemmy is the exact player I want in a 7 game playoff series. Now we will be looking for this type of player again come the first trade deadline when we are going to make the playoffs.
Exactly. If he “took the next step” that’d be ideal, but just a 4th liner who is hard to play against and can chip in a little offense is fine. I don’t think he’s that far from that now.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
We have 11 fights this year and Lemieux has 3. That's not most.

I can assure you that Brendan Lemieux is by far the guy the opposing defense is least worried about.

He is one of our leading hitters. I'm not knocking PDG, he is another. If I'm playing defense tho I'd rather get hit by PDG all day vs Lemieux.

Defenseman don't like retrieving the puck in the corners when they know a hard hit is coming. I'm not saying they are worried about him but it does make some difference.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Any ideas in mind?
First of all, we need a coach that cares about it. He preaches being hard to play against but if you're not using grit to cycle and forecheck, it's a useless platitude.

Then we need guys for whom checking is a reality, not an idea. There are a lot of names out there. The point is, Lemieux sucks at forechecking. He has enough speed and enough snarl to be good at it, but he just isn't. Over large samples, it's measurable.

The Rangers need to better conceptualize what tough hockey actually looks like from front office to coaching. As long as I've been watching this team, we've been the undisputed kings of players who are supposed to be tough and don't do anything, with Avery and Tikkanen being rare exceptions up front.

Reactions: McRanger

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
He is one of our leading hitters. I'm not knocking PDG, he is another. If I'm playing defense tho I'd rather get hit by PDG all day vs Lemieux.

Defenseman don't like retrieving the puck in the corners when they know a hard hit is coming. I'm not saying they are worried about him but it does make some difference.
If it made a difference, we would have the puck once in awhile when Lemieux is on the ice. Defenseman are comfortable enough to make the exit just about every time.

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why? You even said its hard to find someone like that, so why does that mean it's ok to get rid of him for basically nothing?
Because Brendan Lemieux is not a good hockey player. He is not the player I described. He does play with an edge and is willing to throw down, but those guys are not so hard to find. It's the ones who are also good (which he isn't) that are hard to find.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Because Brendan Lemieux is not a good hockey player. He is not the player I described. He does play with an edge and is willing to throw down, but those guys are not so hard to find. It's the ones who are also good (which he isn't) that are hard to find.
Fair enough. I think he's a decent player, enough where I would want him on my 4th line. We agreed to disagree.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Fair enough. I think he's a decent player, enough where I would want him on my 4th line. We agreed to disagree.
If he were making the minimum or closer to it I'd be okay with him. It's not like I actively dislike him. I just think, with a flat cap, you can spend his money better elsewhere. If the cap had gone up and was going to keep going up, I'd prefer keeping him at least until the expansion draft.

Ruggs225

Oct 15, 2007
Long Island, NY
Meh return for a meh player.

lemmy wasnt that good and didnt PK.
That is why he was moved.

howden, rooney both pk.. inbelieve blackwell does too.

Doubt kravy plays pk so they couldnt afford to lose a player on special teams.

and for all the “toighness” i didnt think he did all that much on the ice. He was pretty ineffective as an agitator this year. I dont think we will miss him at all.

edit: and thank god i will never see him on a rangers PP again. Takes that choice out quinns hands

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
Very surprising the folks who still complain about the DeAngelo stuff are bemoaning this....

I can’t put my finger on why that is :rolleyes:

Maybe because they both bring plus physical tools.

I'd be a lot more upset if it was Gauthier, does that correlate in anyway for you?

Kakko Schmakko

Feb 24, 2018
I feel like this is Gorton trading another winger so DQ has less reason not to play Kravtsov. Removing one more obstacle.

more like to make Kravtsov more happy on 4th line because his LW would be not offensively challenged which is likely the assumption on Lemieux by the the likes of Kravtsov.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I don't need to see glimpses of some 2nd line or even 3rd liner. I want to see a 4th liner who sticks up for his teammates, takes the body hard, and can chip in a little on offense. Sure you can find these players on the market but they are usually older players that you know there is no hope for getting any better.

I seriously don't understand this trade at all. If someone offered us a 2nd or something I could understand, but a 4th? What is even the point. Lemmy is the exact player I want in a 7 game playoff series. Now we will be looking for this type of player again come the first trade deadline when we are going to make the playoffs.

It’s very possible they look for someone similar at some point. Hopefully better, and able to slide into a different spot in the lineup while Barron skates in Lemieux’s old slot.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
My feelings on this trade are a microcosm of my feelings on the player in general. That is, I have nothing against him but I also think he's just a dime a dozen 4th liner and I'm not losing sleep over it, and that he has a very vocal group of supporters who think he does this rare thing. He doesn't.

I'm not saying the role doesn't exist, but he doesn't do it well.

If we're talking about checking in a meaningful way, he sucks at it. He rarely gets possession going for Rangers and in fact, excels at getting it going for the other team. That's the biggest issue here.

If we're talking about agitation, that's fine, but he's fallen off significantly there. It may be partially the coach, it may be partially the refs, but I just think NHL players don't pay mind to you if you can't hang with them on the ice. Guys stop caring about "I f***ed your sister" on the bench when they haven't noticed you on the ice all night.

And if we're talking about intimation or protection, I just don't buy it. Defensemen who are afraid to be hit don't last in the NHL. Players getting paid to be assholes aren't going to throw away millions because Lemieux might fight them.

Sayba

Dark Schneider
Jul 7, 2009
My feelings on this trade are a microcosm of my feelings on the player in general. That is, I have nothing against him but I also think he's just a dime a dozen 4th liner and I'm not losing sleep over it, and that he has a very vocal group of supporters who think he does this rare thing. He doesn't.

If we're talking about checking in a meaningful way, he sucks at it. He rarely gets possession going for Rangers and in fact, excels at getting it going for the other team. That's the biggest issue here.

If we're talking about agitation, that's fine, but he's fallen off significantly there. It may be partially the coach, it may be partially the refs, but I just think NHL players don't pay mind to you if you can't hang with them on the ice. Guys stop caring about "I f***ed your sister" on the bench when they haven't noticed you on the ice all night.

And if we're talking about intimation or protection, I just don't buy it. Defensemen who are afraid to be hit don't last in the NHL. Players getting paid to be assholes aren't going to throw away millions because Lemieux might fight them.

Sounds great in theory, I'll just counter with this hypothetical. Mika scored like crazy against the Flyers and was not physically targeted by them for it at all.

Pitchers in the National League are less likely to throw at someone because they have to bat.

There is a reason teams have these kind of players and you're right he is replaceable but we don't currently have that replacement that I'm aware of.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise

I feel like Lemieux still has that “could be” element for some. Because of that, there’s potentially a tendency to view him as “more than” what he is.

There’s part of me that gets that. But if I’m being honest, Lemieux has always been one of those sum is less than the parts type players for me - even going back to the OHL.

Reactions: CLW and Machinehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad