Confirmed with Link: Brendan Lemieux Traded to LA for a 4th

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
We will see how it works out. Teams like Pittsburgh, Philadelphia and Buffalo I have no doubt it won't matter. There are some teams that it might.

I'm not saying attacked but targeted. I remember the Rangers targeted Erik Karlsson in the playoffs, hit him however they could the entire series.

This team probably isn't a playoff team but if we were, how would we respond to players running Mika, Fox and Panarin over and over? Would Lemieux or similar player maybe matter then?

We didn't do a good job of it, guy torched us in that series.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No problem with Lemieux being dealt. Simply wasn’t good enough.

would have tried to move Blackwell/Gauthier/PDG first (and Howden after) but who knows what’s out there. Not heartbroken about it. Return leaves a lot of be desired but it frees cap.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Afraid to take penalties?

Lemieux has the most PIMs in the NHL LMAOOOOOO.
He has 59 penalty minutes on the season. 34 in were in 3 games against Boston (which I think included at least one and possibly 2 ten minute misconducts because the refs give him a rough ride every chance they can), and 7 in a game against Philly. So in the 27 other games he played this year, he as 18 PIM. He has played 18 games with no penalties taken at all. Maybe you shouldn't have so many OOOO's when you laugh your ass off.
I think it's shitty that the kid who does the hard work against big teams gets the short end of the stick for doing it.

Hire Sather

He Is Our Star
Oct 4, 2002
Connecticut
He has 59 penalty minutes on the season. 34 in were in 3 games against Boston (which I think included at least one and possibly 2 ten minute misconducts because the refs give him a rough ride every chance they can), and 7 in a game against Philly. So in the 27 other games he played this year, he as 18 PIM. He has played 18 games with no penalties taken at all. Maybe you shouldn't have so many OOOO's when you laugh your ass off.
I think it's shitty that the kid who does the hard work against big teams gets the short end of the stick for doing it.

Yeah man, I wish he took more penalties!

???

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Yeah man, I wish he took more penalties!

???
The point is, he doesn't take them all the time. Agitator types are going to get into shit. Hopefully they get you more than they cost you. The Rangers have an outstanding PK this year. They can afford to kill a penalty here and there. Because Q benches everyone for taking penalties unless you are Smith or Jack f***ing Johnson, Lemieux was completely ineffective this season. I'm glad they traded him because Quinn is a college coach who has no idea how to utilize this sort of player. I wish him well in LA.

Riche16

McCready guitar god
Aug 13, 2008
The Dreaded Middle
The potential value the Rangers saw in Lemieux was the same value the Sabres and Jets saw - the hope that maybe he becomes more than a fourth line LW and maybe evolves into more of a middle six guy.

That hasn’t happened and likely won’t happen on this roster, with Lemieux hitting the age of 25 or 26 next year. So, with $1.5 million due to Lemieux over this season and next, and with someone like Barron knocking on the door, the Rangers went for the cap space and the roster spot.

That’s pretty much the long and short of it.
Clearly a $ move as he’s worth a lot more than a 4th

Would I be wrong in thinking this is only part I of more moves?

Reactions: Unpredictable1

Draft Guru

Feb 27, 2002
Long Island
Very happy with a 4th.

Would've been fine with nothing in return but his 1.55M off the books next year.

Liked the kid, he played hard for this organization and seemed like a good teammate. His offensive game just never developed enough to be a top 9 guy. In a flat cap world his role/job is replaceable for league minimum. He would've been exposed to Seattle, too. Well done by Gorton.

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
My feelings on this trade are a microcosm of my feelings on the player in general. That is, I have nothing against him but I also think he's just a dime a dozen 4th liner and I'm not losing sleep over it, and that he has a very vocal group of supporters who think he does this rare thing. He doesn't.

I'm not saying the role doesn't exist, but he doesn't do it well.

If we're talking about checking in a meaningful way, he sucks at it. He rarely gets possession going for Rangers and in fact, excels at getting it going for the other team. That's the biggest issue here.

If we're talking about agitation, that's fine, but he's fallen off significantly there. It may be partially the coach, it may be partially the refs, but I just think NHL players don't pay mind to you if you can't hang with them on the ice. Guys stop caring about "I f***ed your sister" on the bench when they haven't noticed you on the ice all night.

And if we're talking about intimation or protection, I just don't buy it. Defensemen who are afraid to be hit don't last in the NHL. Players getting paid to be assholes aren't going to throw away millions because Lemieux might fight them.

Can’t sum it up any better than this. Completely spot on.

Reactions: Machinehead

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
Clearly a $ move as he’s worth a lot more than a 4th

Would I be wrong in thinking this is only part I of more moves?

Maybe. To be honest with you, a fourth is kind of what I expected. He was a second round pick and probably had second round value in 2019. Coming out of last year, I’d say his value was probably close to a third. With his play this year, I’d say an early fourth seems about on par.

Re: other moves - There are different conversations that come and go, but right now it feels like bigger moves would be more likely in the offseason. Short term you might be looking more at names like Smith and Howden.

RangersFan1994

Aug 20, 2019
Something is really wrong with this. I know he’s made some bad plays but for a 4th only? They literally just gave the guy away.
maybe he was an issue in the room. That would be the only reason to dump him so cheaply

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Fair enough. I think he's a decent player, enough where I would want him on my 4th line. We agreed to disagree.
I agree with you but I think the cap doesn’t. And I would hope they tried moving other guys to clear this glut/cap but probably no one wants Howden or Rooney or Bitetto or di Giuseppe or Blackwell. So it was either get something for BL or get nothing for one of the others. And they probably don’t see a post-expansion-draft future for BL either.

Question. As of now, who do people think are we protecting for the draft?

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Maybe. To be honest with you, a fourth is kind of what I expected. He was a second round pick and probably had second round value in 2019. Coming out of last year, I’d say his value was probably close to a third. With his play this year, I’d say an early fourth seems about on par.

Re: other moves - There are different conversations that come and go, but right now it feels like bigger moves would be more likely in the offseason. Short term you might be looking more at names like Smith and Howden.
I’d bet Howden has less value than Lemieux. Maybe a bit more upside but I can’t see the Rangers getting any value back there. Smith might have value for a contender. He is kind of a playoff-type player.

But, thinking it over, can the Rangers even trade Smith? We’d be all out of Brendans. Is a Brandon-free roster even compliant? Could we call up Brandon Crawley? So many deadline questions.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
And then they went and ruined it by signing Glass. But you are 100% right. Boyle-Moore-Dorsett/Carcillo was a really important piece of the cup team.

As for Lemieux I honestly thought he could be a part of that type of 4th line but it never materialized for whatever reason.
He could, I’d argue. But the timing for him and the team just didn’t work.

will1066

Fonz Drury
Oct 12, 2008
My feelings on this trade are a microcosm of my feelings on the player in general. That is, I have nothing against him but I also think he's just a dime a dozen 4th liner and I'm not losing sleep over it, and that he has a very vocal group of supporters who think he does this rare thing. He doesn't.

I'm not saying the role doesn't exist, but he doesn't do it well.

If we're talking about checking in a meaningful way, he sucks at it. He rarely gets possession going for Rangers and in fact, excels at getting it going for the other team. That's the biggest issue here.

If we're talking about agitation, that's fine, but he's fallen off significantly there. It may be partially the coach, it may be partially the refs, but I just think NHL players don't pay mind to you if you can't hang with them on the ice. Guys stop caring about "I f***ed your sister" on the bench when they haven't noticed you on the ice all night.

And if we're talking about intimation or protection, I just don't buy it. Defensemen who are afraid to be hit don't last in the NHL. Players getting paid to be assholes aren't going to throw away millions because Lemieux might fight them.
If it is PDG returning -- and iirc Sam said he's off the protocol list -- it's an instant upgrade in possession in my opinion. PDG might not have the hands, but he is very good on the walls and the 4th line just being able to have shifts in the offensive zone and eat minutes rather the defensive zone is a win.

Edge

Kris King's Ghost
Mar 1, 2002
Amish Paradise
I’d bet Howden has less value than Lemieux. Maybe a bit more upside but I can’t see the Rangers getting any value back there. Smith might have value for a contender. He is kind of a playoff-type player.

But, thinking it over, can the Rangers even trade Smith? We’d be all out of Brendans. Is a Brandon-free roster even compliant? Could we call up Brandon Crawley? So many deadline questions.

Howden is probably similar value to Lemieux right now, maybe a little higher based on what I’ve heard. The offense isn’t there, but he has a clear cut role and is just now the same age Lemieux was when he came to the Rangers.

He could be one of those guys who has more value than some on the board realize - within reason.

Good Intentions

Mar 30, 2018
Lemieux is not an NHL player. While I can appreciate his willingness to get in the middle of a scrum, this is not 1997.

This year (post TDA drama), he has also regressed. Perhaps the writing has been on the wall for him as well. He’s not a guy you win with. For Ranger fans, it’s a clear line in the sand if you think Lemieux is something to keep. If you want to have a look at a useful bottom-6, have a glance at Rooney and DiGiuseppe. No comparison.

His coordination is atrocious, he possesses no real skill of any sort.

With that said, I will always remember the career-game he had in Montréal last year. Great moment.

Receiving a 4th rounder for him is excellent value. Wish him well; but very glad he’s gone.

Reactions: mrmovies779

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Bonehead move.

One of the best pests in the league and I see him being a huge playoff performer down the road just like his dad. I remember on Spittin Chiclets they were raving about his return after the suspension when he played in the bubble, he completely tilted the ice and we played with a different swagger when he's in the lineup. Lemmy sacrificed so much for this team, that shift where he injured his foot blocking a shot and literally crawled and leaped into another shot block after he already couldn't even stand; sums up who he is as a player. Or that gif of him with a black eye, cuts on his face, casually spitting out blood on the bench.

He is the over the top caricature of what a hockey player is. He's sort of a throwback. I think playing on a line with him was a big influence on Buch's transformation into USA Buch. People complained about our coaches usage of Buch but he became a different player when he was on Lemmy's line and started getting physically engaged in play. Lemmy is a hilarious dude and will be greatly missed by me. Lindgren is a similar type of thorn in peoples sides but I hope we manage to find another player who agitates like Lemieux.
Damn. You finally truly win me over with Lemieux...after he’s gone haha. I don’t think I ever hated him, but I was always kind of 50-50 on him.

No but even the way him and Kakko interacted last season says a lot about him. If nothing else, I hate this move because of how it might affect Kakko, let alone the impact he has on the rest of the team. I really did notice that we play (actually it’s now playED:() with a little more tenacity and confidence when he’s in the lineup.

I’m happy that this move might signify that Kravtsov is ready, but I’m getting tired of Gorton. Bring in Drury.

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Coming into this season, Lemieux and Howden were either going to have to establish themselves or face the possibility of being pushed out.

Lemieux’s now gone. Howden is a prime candidate as well.
What do you think happened with Howden? He started off the season pretty well. I know he has more in him. Where did his playmaking go? And does he have less skill than he did in juniors? Is that even possible?

Rempe73

RIP King of Pop
Mar 26, 2018
New Jersey
Teams would do that whether Lemieux were there or not.

Do you really think the world's top athletes playing one of the world's toughest sports just stop trying to win because they might get punched?
I mean, Gretzky gave his enforcers a ton of credit. There might be something to it, but I’ll be honest with you. I have no idea.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad