Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
Thinking about it, I'm glad that we picked up Kovalchuk at the deadline (if we do finish out this season).

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Except this isn't one thing he said. This is a plethora of examples of him being an absolute scumbag. There's a whole twitter thread of DMs. I know I love some banter with the boys but we'd never personally attack the looks of our significant others. Hacked or not, Leipsic is going to have a very, very hard time fitting into a locker room.

The Senators example was them being filmed talking about their coaching staff IIRC. What they said wasn't great, but it wasn't at the level of some of these messages

To be honest, when I was in high school (im in my 30's now), the way he spoke is pretty much spot on with the way the majority of the hockey players spoke. I didnt care for it then, I dont care for it now.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
He shouldn't get punished for what basically is a private conversation. He cost himself some money next year and will be looked down on by other players and the public. But yeah, he shouldn't get any official punishment.

The Dowd and Hathaway comment calling them losers: I don't think he seriously dislikes them, although I don't know the locker room chemistry. Doesn't seem that bad or serious.

I’m all for the privacy side, but in today’s world he assumed he was in a safe place, and he really wasn’t. That’s on him for even participating, much less what the subject matter of his remarks were.

Hypothetically, what if instead of women and teammates, his comments were between he and his KKK-minded buddies about <pick an ethnic group>? You don’t think that’s punishment worthy? If not, is any content in this scenario where he F’ed up by participating in the first place? I think he’s gotta be held accountable, but whatever the guys in the room think ultimately.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He shouldn't get punished for what basically is a private conversation. He cost himself some money next year and will be looked down on by other players and the public. But yeah, he shouldn't get any official punishment.

The Dowd and Hathaway comment calling them losers: I don't think he seriously dislikes them, although I don't know the locker room chemistry. Doesn't seem that bad or serious.

I agree. And I don't care what he says about teammates in a private chat. Much taken out of context and you'd be delusional to think that he's the only one making fun of teammates. He's just the only one dumb enough to get caught. The messages going public is punishment enough.

I'm way more concerned about his image of women. I don't think there should be room for people with such a mindset in the NHL. Players should be role models because they have people, including kids, looking up to them.
But you can't really remove Leipsic for a few messages when you have a misogynistic asshole like Watson still playing in the league? This piece of shit was actively involved in campains against domestic violence until it came out that he's in fact beating up his girlfriend. Yet still the league found it appropriate to reduce his suspension.

I'm male but I can't even tell you how disgusted I am when it comes to Watson and besides him being the asshole he is, I don't know why Nashville or the league found it necessary to protect this prick. He sucks at hockey and he's an even worse person.

We're living in the 21st century, not the fecking middle age. The worlds best hockey league should have the balls to put these things right and remove cancers when necessary. Funny how it seems to work with Russians though even if there's no actual evidence or conviction...

Last edited:

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, bottom line, why does anyone care about any of this? Do you not have actual things to care about? I absolutely think we probably do. This doesn’t mean squat and we all know it. Get on with your lives please....

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Yeah, bottom line, why does anyone care about any of this? Do you not have actual things to care about? I absolutely think we probably do. This doesn’t mean squat and we all know it. Get on with your lives please....

So what you're saying is that these contents correspond with your image of women?

Reactions: 32hunter

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
One thing being misunderstood a bit here is the concept that this was his "private conversation" and thus somehow protected. Courts have consistently ruled that when you post something on the internet, in a public forum, or in a private forum where more than one other person is involved (i.e. group chat), the expectation of privacy is out the window. If you email me, I can post it to the whole world and its not a violation of your privacy - generally even those disclaimers of privacy from corporate emails are not very meaningful either. Same thing applies to things I post in a group chat or a public forum like this. There are of course carve outs and exemptions like submitting your social security number to your health provider or credit card company, but again, group chat doesn't meet those standards.

The idea that this was supposed to be considered "private" and thus subject to special protection or otherwise free from retribution for his words is more or less nil. A "private" group chat should be considered a public forum as far as privacy laws are concerned.

Just stupid by Leipers.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia

Unsure that this is the best path to go down given current circumstances.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Except this isn't one thing he said. This is a plethora of examples of him being an absolute scumbag. There's a whole twitter thread of DMs. I know I love some banter with the boys but we'd never personally attack the looks of our significant others. Hacked or not, Leipsic is going to have a very, very hard time fitting into a locker room.

Agreed, and for the record I'm not defending him. While I do believe there is a lot of hypocrisy out there, that doesnt change that IMO what he said was wrong.
As far as punishment, I think there is a middle ground between "do nothing" and "lifetime ban" (this is not directed at you, more so comments I am seeing on twitter/the boards etc.).

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Agreed, and for the record I'm not defending him. While I do believe there is a lot of hypocrisy out there, that doesnt change that IMO what he said was wrong.
As far as punishment, I think there is a middle ground between "do nothing" and "lifetime ban" (this is not directed at you, more so comments I am seeing on twitter/the boards etc.).

I wouldn't punish him because the messages going public are punishment enough. It would however be an opportunity for the NHL to release a statement saying that it will not tolerate such a behaviour or mindset and that it will ban players failing to realize that we're living in the 21st century.

Austin Watson should have never played another game of pro hockey after what he did. Period. The fact that the league reduced his suspension is only gonna encourage idiots like Leipsic that their image of women isn't necessarily wrong. Again, pro hockey players should be role models and if they're not able to be role models, they might as well look for another job. Nobody is perfect and you have to look past certain things but there are lines that shouldn't get crossed. The NHL should take immediate action or there will be much more trouble...as in other American pro sport leagues.

Jun 15, 2007
I wouldn't punish him because the messages going public are punishment enough. It would however be an opportunity for the NHL to release a statement saying that it will not tolerate such a behaviour or mindset and that it will ban players failing to realize that we're living in the 21st century.

Austin Watson should have never played another game of pro hockey after what he did. Period. The fact that the league reduced his suspension is only gonna encourage idiots like Leipsic that their image of women isn't necessarily wrong. Again, pro hockey players should be role models and if they're not able to be role models, they might as well look for another job. Nobody is perfect and you have to look past certain things but there are lines that shouldn't get crossed. The NHL should take immediate action or there will be much more trouble...as in other American pro sport leagues.

I think you need to research more into what Austin Watson actually did. He didn't hit his wife.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
I think you need to research more into what Austin Watson actually did. He didn't hit his wife.

He did beat up his girlfriend. That's what she told the police and when they arrived...and there were visible marks. That's all I need to know. Her denying in later is making it even worse since it means that he pressured her to take back what she told the police. The asshole is easily one of the worst pricks to ever play in the NHL. I'm not an aggressive person and I never did anything like it but I'd certainly enjoy to give that hypocritical, misogynistic punk a proper beating. Good thing I'll probably never meet him.

Remember that they chased Voynov outta the country despite his wife always saying that he didn't do anything. I'm not saying that Voynov is necessarily innocent but they clearly didn't get treated the same way. One guy is a convicted prick while the other one isn't. Yet the convicted guy got his suspendion reduced while the other guy got chased outta the country.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I’m all for the privacy side, but in today’s world he assumed he was in a safe place, and he really wasn’t. That’s on him for even participating, much less what the subject matter of his remarks were.

Hypothetically, what if instead of women and teammates, his comments were between he and his KKK-minded buddies about <pick an ethnic group>? You don’t think that’s punishment worthy? If not, is any content in this scenario where he F’ed up by participating in the first place? I think he’s gotta be held accountable, but whatever the guys in the room think ultimately.

Well, I mean he should get punished in the court of public opinion, and he is getting that right now. But suspension/termination or any other type of official punishment like the league and the Caps are looking at now for what basically was a private conversation? I don't know if I agree with that.

I hated Sean Avery with a passion when he played. I think he's one of the most despicable people to ever play the game. He's 10 times more of a scumbag than Leipsic is. Racist, misogynist, douchbagist and just a rotten person to the core. I was glad when he was gone from the league.

But I never believed that Sean Avery should be officially punished for his views and for the things he would say.

Last edited:

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Maybe because we are in the middle of a pandemic, there's little to no actual hockey news going on, oh and he said some pretty shitty things about people? :dunno:

If you don't think this is going to have some kind of effect on the locker room you're naive. Lots of guys in the NHL are close with players on other teams. Who says there aren't guys in the locker room who are good friends with Tanner Pearson, Jake Virtanen, Connor McDavid, and anyone else Leipsic trashed? Not to mention he may or may not have called Dowd and Hathaway a bunch of losers unless he truly was saying it in a joking manor. It's still going to be super f***ing awkward for him to walk into the locker room if the season starts back up.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well, I mean he should get punished in the court of public opinion, and he is getting that right now. But suspension/termination or any other type of official punishment like the league and the Caps are looking at now for what basically was a private conversation? I don't know if I agree with that.

I hated Sean Avery with a passion when he played. I still think he's one of the most despicable people to ever play the game. He's 10 times more of a scumbag than Leipsic is. Racist, misogynist, douchbagist and just a rotten person to the core. I was glad when he was gone from the league.

But I never believed that Sean Avery should be officially punished for his views and for the things he would say.

On the Internet an assumption of privacy based on others having their stuff secured is foolish.

Reactions: Quicklime

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
I don't think the question is whether we can or should cleanse society of offensive comments or thinking. That will never happen, however noble the intent.

The question is what to do when someone gets caught, particularly when it affects a workplace or business.

The fact that the conversations have gone public is enough to trigger the reaction. At that point it doesn't matter what the expectations of privacy were.

If every private conversation among hockey players, media, and fans were revealed I would bet my life savings that this conversation wouldn't be the only one that causes problems for people. It's all a matter of who gets caught. Everyone thinks the other guy is worse and attention paid to someone else means less scrutiny for one's own actions, along with a sense of superiority (for a time).

Bottom line is don't make comments like that if you're a public figure. And if you're a fan or owner you have to make your own call on what's tolerable, within the law.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Bottom line is don't make comments like that if you're a public figure
Exactly this. In today's society EVERYTHING is recorded. Whether that's an email, text message, DM, social media post, etc. it always has the option of going public. And on top of that, people are always taking videos on their phones and other various smart devices are always able to be hacked (Ring and other various video doorbells, Alexa/Google Home, baby monitors, etc.)

Jun 15, 2007
He did beat up his girlfriend. That's what she told the police and when they arrived...and there were visible marks. That's all I need to know. Her denying in later is making it even worse since it means that he pressured her to take back what she told the police. The asshole is easily one of the worst pricks to ever play in the NHL. I'm not an aggressive person and I never did anything like it but I'd certainly enjoy to give that hypocritical, misogynistic punk a proper beating. Good thing I'll probably never meet him.

Remember that they chased Voynov outta the country despite his wife always saying that he didn't do anything. I'm not saying that Voynov is necessarily innocent but they clearly didn't get treated the same way. One guy is a convicted prick while the other one isn't. Yet the convicted guy got his suspendion reduced while the other guy got chased outta the country.

He pushed her in an argument. Far cry from beating someone up and not worthy of being banned forever.

It was in public at a gas station. If there was any more to it there would be video.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad