Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
What if we saw Micheal Jordan messages? I know he would never be dumb enough to let them be leaked. Just saying

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Between Wilson's on ice reputation, Hathaway's spitting and dodgy father and now this, Caps seems to have a lot of hated players (by other fanbases). I don't particularly care but I think it's funny that every fanbase thinks their team is full of character guys when in reality, most athletes are probably douchebags.

Did I miss something?

Reactions: peterthegreat12

AtNightWeFly

You better run.
Jun 1, 2014
Upstate NY
As for Leip, this is kinda disappointing. I liked his hustle. But it turns out he's a dingbat with too much time on his hands. Also, not a fan of private messages getting blasted like this. It feels like you're reading someone's mind without them knowing it.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I could potentially buy the Hathaway/Dowd comment as being contextual based on any rapport between the players. But he’s also going out and calling former teammates wives fat and just putting out tons of other objectionable content. Pretty much zero chance that attacking the appearance of teammates wives and girlfriends would fly in the locker room.

Not surprising that he’s been through six organizations in eight years. And considering he was already getting scratched before this and hasn’t scored a goal in forever, it’ll be seven in nine years next season.

Reactions: skinnyFAT91

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
I have mixed feelings about this. Full disclosure, I saw some of the comments, not all.

On one hand, what he said was gross, mean, and makes him look like an asshole. Not a guy I would want to personally be friends with. Not to mention stupid, when you are a "celeb" regardless of how small, you just don't put certain things out there.

On the other hand, I feel there is A LOT of hypocrisy going on right now. A lot of people calling for him to be kicked out of the league, made an example of etc. If I had to put money on it, if you gained access to those people's social media PM's, text messages, phone logs etc. I'm sure there would be something they said at some point in their life that could elicit a similar type of reaction if it were leaked publicly.

Hopefully the guy learns a lesson and sees there are consequences to this level of being an asshole, but at the same time I dont think he should be shunned from society/NHL. I can't see him playing for Washington again though, how do you face your teammates. Didn't this happen to some Senators players in a cab a few years ago as well?

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
On the other hand, I feel there is A LOT of hypocrisy going on right now. A lot of people calling for him to be kicked out of the league, made an example of etc. If I had to put money on it, if you gained access to those people's social media PM's, text messages, phone logs etc. I'm sure there would be something they said at some point in their life that could elicit a similar type of reaction if it were leaked publicly.
Except this isn't one thing he said. This is a plethora of examples of him being an absolute scumbag. There's a whole twitter thread of DMs. I know I love some banter with the boys but we'd never personally attack the looks of our significant others. Hacked or not, Leipsic is going to have a very, very hard time fitting into a locker room.
Hopefully the guy learns a lesson and sees there are consequences to this level of being an asshole, but at the same time I dont think he should be shunned from society/NHL. I can't see him playing for Washington again though, how do you face your teammates. Didn't this happen to some Senators players in a cab a few years ago as well?
The Senators example was them being filmed talking about their coaching staff IIRC. What they said wasn't great, but it wasn't at the level of some of these messages

Reactions: kliq

Midnight Judges

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
He called Dowd and Hathaway losers. He also made some comments about Wilson’s girl. It’s in the messages.

I think you may be wildly misinterpreting the comments. He also called his friends the worst crew ever or something like that. How do you square those things?

No doubt, piling on, canceling the guy, and ruining his life is super fun internet sport.

JMO but many people deserve a second chance if they sincerely apologize, and this guy hasn't done anything so bad that ruining his young career is worth it.

zappa4ever

Music is the Best!
Feb 10, 2010
MD/VA/WV intersection
STOOOOOOO-PID :laugh:
The League nor the Caps will have to do much, he just put himself out of the league
20 years ago you could feign/claim ignorance that your private texts/messages would be outed; in the current day to be so stupid to think that ripping on so many players/wives/girlfriends/other women/teammates etc. wouldn't come back to haunt you (private messages or not) is laughable
If he was a better player that could break the 5 goals/year ceiling maybe there'd be a few teams willing to take a shot, who knows

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Should these genuinely be messages sent or endorsed by Leipsic - and I stress that at this point they appear to be unverified, and therefore alleged only - I can’t imagine a player coming back to the NHL, let alone their current team, after. For a guy lacking any particular offensive or defensive gifts - very much competent as an NHL body only - it’s hard to see how any suspension, apology, community service or otherwise would save that player’s career, at least in North America. And even if you were a talented and important player, it would take a LOT to come back from those kinds of remarks.

I agree. In a results driven environment, he might end up in the clear if he were a more valuable player.

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
He shouldn't get punished for what basically is a private conversation. He cost himself some money next year and will be looked down on by other players and the public. But yeah, he shouldn't get any official punishment.

The Dowd and Hathaway comment calling them losers: I don't think he seriously dislikes them, although I don't know the locker room chemistry. Doesn't seem that bad or serious.

Reactions: Hinterland

Ajax1995

Dec 9, 2002
Seems like a jerk but not a fan of private messages like these getting posted in public. Privacy is a basic right that is constantly being violated. That’s the bigger issue than some dumb dude spouting off dumb stuff to his buddies imo.

Yeah this is where I come down also. If this was happening in a public forum that is one thing but it isn’t.

I can imagine what it would sound like if you ran tape on a dumb conversation my buddies and I were having, especially if alcohol was involved, and then you played it for others with little or no context. We’d come across as some of worst people on the planet I’m sure. But it would still all have just been a joke.

So that is how I’m taking this. Nothing to see here...

Reactions: tenken00

Ridley Simon

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Marin County — SF Bay Area, CA
I stand by my original comments on this. Screw Leipsic. Only because he’s dumb enough to allow this to happen.

“Boys will be boys” comes to mind here. I’m 50, and I know over the past 40yrs, my friends and I have had many a crass/inappropriate/offensive exchange over the years. Some explainable, and others probably not. Mostly inside stuff but certainly if exposed would be questioned by many. So while I don’t really “get” how they are talking, I’m too old, I cannot get too bent about it.

He obviously has bad judgement, and he could be a difficult person to relate to. I honestly don’t know. His track record of bouncing around may speak more volumes than anything. So this could be the tip of his own personal iceberg.

The NHL hopefully will not and should not suspend him. Zero merit, IMO. They have publicly chastised him. Which is enough.

The Caps should consult with team leaders, and decide what they want to do. If he’s well liked and regarded by the team, they can allow a Mea Culpa and see how it rolls. If he’s not that well liked, then it’s easy to cut him with a quip about “team values, blah blah blah” and off we go.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad