Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Thos whole cancel culture bullshit has gotten and continues to get out of hand. A private convo hacked and leaked and people think its ok to hang him out to dry. What about freedom of speech and thought? This isnt f***ing Xhina where you get told what to think and feel. Way too much is being made of it and the fact that BL and others are going to loose their jobs and careers... is truly disgusting. Ruining a mans life because you dont like what he says... smdh.

Freedom of Speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. The government isn’t the one intervening here. His freedom of speech has not been violated in any way.

To put it another way, if the best thing you can cite to defend someone’s speech is that it’s literally not illegal to say it, perhaps you should reconsider that speech.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, it wasn’t like he was a key cog. He said crap about players on his team, and while some might feel that in private, them getting out makes the situation untenable. I can see the losers comment to his line mates being in jest more so than meanness, but the org can’t tolerate the women talk. I couldn’t find the Wilson bits, but if he did say stuff about his gf, can’t think that would fly.

I think there certainly are different discussions to be had on whether or not a top player doing this is getting a different result (Ovechkin wouldn’t be gone, though who could read his Russian Ovie speech?) but his being a low importance piece means he needs to not cause waves. Yes we saw the org defend Kuznetsov and drugs, but once again, stars get star treatment. 4th line scratches get tossed aside.

thats the reality in everything. Nothing new there

Last edited:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Freedom of Speech doesn’t mean freedom from consequences. The government isn’t the one intervening here. His freedom of speech has not been violated in any way.

To put it another way, if the best thing you can cite to defend someone’s speech is that it’s literally not illegal to say it, perhaps you should reconsider that speech.

Thats not the point there softy...
It was a PRIVATE convo and it was hacked and stolen. Which is illegal... fteedom of speech is not.

He has the right to say what he wants just like you have the right to not like it. But that doesnt mean you have the right to ruin a life and career.

Mod edit: say what you want to say within the site rules or move on.

Last edited by a moderator:

ckg927

Apr 2, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

I'm a Sabres fan...and even with our mess of a team there is NO WAY IN HELL that I want this bastard within 100 miles of KeyBank Center, let alone on our roster. We're not THAT desperate for players.

Reactions: CaptainAmerica

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Thats not the point there softy...
It was a PRIVATE convo and it was hacked and stolen. Which is illegal... fteedom of speech is not.

He has the right to say what he wants just like you have the right to not like it. But that doesnt mean you have the right to ruin a life and career.

He hasn't been banned from the league, right? Other teams are free to hire him?

How has his career been "ruined"?

So you believe you can say whatever you want and never suffer any consequences when it comes to employment?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
I mean, it wasn’t like he was a key cog. He said crap about players on his team, and while some might feel that in private, them getting out makes the situation untenable. I can see the losers comment to his line mates being in jest more so than meanness, but the org can’t tolerate the women and drug talk. I couldn’t find the Wilson bits, but if he did say stuff about his gf, can’t think that would fly.

I think there certainly are different discussions to be had on whether or not a top player doing this is getting a different result (Ovechkin wouldn’t be gone, though who could read his Russian Ovie speech?) but his being a low importance piece means he needs to not cause waves. Yes we saw the org defend Kuznetsov and drugs, but once again, stars get star treatment. 4th line scratches get tossed aside.

thats the reality in everything. Nothing new there

That juat shows how bad the league and the world as a whole is.

Do hard drugs which is illegal and against the NHL code of conduct and get a pass.

Spit in someones face and get a pass.

Call opposing players losers and make a comment about someones appearance and its the 3nd of the world and time to lynch a mother...jesus

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I mean, it wasn’t like he was a key cog. He said crap about players on his team, and while some might feel that in private, them getting out makes the situation untenable. I can see the losers comment to his line mates being in jest more so than meanness, but the org can’t tolerate the women and drug talk. I couldn’t find the Wilson bits, but if he did say stuff about his gf, can’t think that would fly.

Did he really trash Tom Wilson's girlfriend?

Ouch, didn't see that. The Dowd and Hathaway thing- the pic of them was with them with big headsets looking funny. I could see someone going "those losers" or "those doofuses" and wouldn't think much of it.

Going after players' wives/girlfriends is definitely a no-no.. especially current teammates'.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Hopefully we get to see every female's text message history where they slam guys about the job they have, the car they drive, their home, their physique, their height, weight, etc. Especially the females who are the most outraged by this.

Private comments should be private. Doesn't mean Brendan is a good guy (or a bad guy), but I just hope the people piling on this guy are not horrible hypocrites.

Reactions: Lobodomy

Foots

ALL OURS
May 5, 2018
Did he really trash Tom Wilson's girlfriend?

Ouch, didn't see that. The Dowd and Hathaway thing- the pic of them was with them with big headsets looking funny. I could see someone going "those losers" or "those doofuses" and wouldn't think much of it.

Going after player's wives/girlfriends is definitely a no-no.. especially current teammates'.
I think he said F*** those losers to Dowd and Hathaway.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
4th line scratches get tossed aside.

Not if you spit on someone. Well 4th liners that spit on people don't. The scratch part is the deciding factor.

I get why he is getting the boot, and ultimately he won't be missed talent wise, but the whining and hand wringing over stuff like this is getting out of hand. This is not specific to Brandon Leipsic. That being said, a lot of professional athletes better start scrubbing their social media and devices for anything that is, or could potentially be, negative about anything. The morality police are on patrol 24/7. :nono:

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
I mean, it wasn’t like he was a key cog. He said crap about players on his team, and while some might feel that in private, them getting out makes the situation untenable. I can see the losers comment to his line mates being in jest more so than meanness, but the org can’t tolerate the women talk. I couldn’t find the Wilson bits, but if he did say stuff about his gf, can’t think that would fly.

And the argument that he's "still young" just doesn't fly. We're talking about a 25 year old man here, not an 18 year old kid.

Caps are a championship organization now. No tolerance for this kind of behavior.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

So you believe you can say whatever you want and never suffer any consequences when it comes to employment?

When it comes to a private conversation absolutely yes. Its called private for a reason. Have you NEVER in your life made a comment about someone not to their face? If you day otherwise you are a liar and deserve to be fired, have to move and start all over again in your career.

If you think the snowflakes and morons of the world will let him have a NHL job again you are sadly mistaken.

The world is going to hell and this generation is only too quick to destroy it all. This is a perfect example of it.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
You deal with people who aren’t the greatest humans if they help you win.

this clown isn’t helping them win, and he’s a misogynist, who talked a lot of crap about other people’s wives and girlfriends. So he has to go. In this day in age, the women talk alone means he would have to go. The Caps organization isn’t going to take that, especially from a mediocre player. If it’s Ovechkin, I think they have a different issue to handle, but with a 4th line scratch about to be gone anyhow? It’s an easy situation.

I’m not sure how people can’t understand that.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
When it comes to a private conversation absolutely yes. Its called private for a reason. Have you NEVER in your life made a comment about someone not to their face? If you day otherwise you are a liar and deserve to be fired, have to move and start all over again in your career.

If you think the snowflakes and morons of the world will let him have a NHL job again you are sadly mistaken.

The world is going to hell and this generation is only too quick to destroy it all. This is a perfect example of it.

I think you should read my first post in this thread before getting bent out of shape (while also accusing everyone else of being oversensitive, ironically enough).

Player Discussion - Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
The whole it should be private is a stupid argument.

it got out. It’s not private. It’s not his fault they leaked most likely, but he did say it in a group on the internet and here you go.

if I do some stupid act in private, but it gets out, it’s not private anymore. You can’t just say, oh well, I had only meant my cannibalism to be in private and now that you know you can’t punish me.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009

You can't say or do anything you want. Colin Kaepernick proved that. :laugh:

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Hopefully we get to see every female's text message history where they slam guys about the job they have, the car they drive, their home, their physique, their height, weight, etc. Especially the females who are the most outraged by this.

Private comments should be private. Doesn't mean Brendan is a good guy (or a bad guy), but I just hope the people piling on this guy are not horrible hypocrites.

Too late. Stop making sense...

Reactions: Heath

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006

Important point here. Turns out not having backers has its consequences, much like how he's become such a journeyman over the years. Enjoy the KHL or wherever.

Reactions: ckg927 and Hivemind

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad