Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania

The reports yesterday were that they organization would get opinions from management, coaching and team leadership before making a decision. Wonder if there was some more internal issues that some of the players also brought up?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
The guy loses his job for being an A-hole on his free time. Is this real life?
Hell yeah it is. The organization sought input from the players in making this decision. He obviously eroded his own teammates trust in him. Don’t make shitty comments about your teammates, and don’t come after the appearance of their wives and girlfriends.

Even ignoring that, not company should be expected to jump thru a PR nightmare to protect a-hole employees. Leipsics lackluster play doesn’t justify the Caps waging a PR campaign on his behalf. He damaged the brand, so of course he’s out. Companies do this shit all the time when their employees are revealed to be scum bags.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Depending on how Hathway and Dowd interpreted his comments, him being an asshole in his free time impacted his job performance, so yeah it's fully justified.

If OV made the same comments would anyone give a **** beyond thinking he is an A-hole? How about Eller? Nope. But a 3rd line scrub gets caught confirming he is an A-hole and he losses his job.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
If OV made the same comments would anyone give a **** beyond thinking he is an A-hole? How about Eller? Nope. But a 3rd line scrub gets caught confirming he is an A-hole and he losses his job.
Duh?
Obviously a team and an organization is going to invest much more heavily in building relationships and PR around their star players than they are a marginal journeyman. This shouldn’t surprise anyone.

Leipsic is on the way out of his sixth organization in his 8 year pro career.

Jun 15, 2007

First of all Leipsic is not a 3rd line scrub. He's a 4th line scrub.

Second of all yes, he got cut because he's not worth the PR disaster of defending. Is your issue the Caps wouldn't cut Ovechkin under the circumstances?

Lesson learned, don't be an asshole and a shitty player, you can at most be one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
He pushed her in an argument. Far cry from beating someone up and not worthy of being banned forever.

It was in public at a gas station. If there was any more to it there would be video.

Disgusting post:shakehead
How did you get here? Via time machine directly from the dark ages?

Instead of using semantics to defend a convicted misogynistic and hypocritical piece of shit, you should probably reconsider your own image of women if you honestly think that it's okay to push women around in arguments. History also teaches us that when a man beats a woman, it's hardly ever an isolated one-time occurrence. A man who does anything like that reveals his true character and it's even worse if that same man used to be involved in campaigns against domestic violence. Disgusting. No other way to put it. Pathetic piece of shit has exactly zero business in the NHL or any other pro league.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Hell yeah it is. The organization sought input from the players in making this decision. He obviously eroded his own teammates trust in him. Don’t make shitty comments about your teammates, and don’t come after the appearance of their wives and girlfriends.

Even ignoring that, not company should be expected to jump thru a PR nightmare to protect a-hole employees. Leipsics lackluster play doesn’t justify the Caps waging a PR campaign on his behalf. He damaged the brand, so of course he’s out. Companies do this shit all the time when their employees are revealed to be scum bags.

PR nightmare? Is the dude that got caught spitting on another player still employed by the Capitals? :::::checks the Captials teams site::::: Yes he is.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Jun 15, 2007
Disgusting post:shakehead
How did you get here? Via time machine directly from the dark ages?

Instead of using semantics to defend a convicted misogynistic and hypocritical piece of shit, you should probably reconsider your own image of women if you honestly think that it's okay to push women around in arguments. History also teaches us that when a man beats a woman, it's hardly ever an isolated one-time occurrence. A man who does anything like that reveals his true character and it's even worse if that same man used to be involved in campaigns against domestic violence. Disgusting. No other way to put it. Pathetic piece of shit has exactly zero business in the NHL or any other pro league.

Oh I forgot who I was talking to LMAO. My bad. That's on me for engaging with you.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
First of all Leipsic is not a 3rd line scrub. He's a 4th line scrub.

Second of all yes, he got cut because he's not worth the PR disaster of defending. Is your issue the Caps wouldn't cut Ovechkin under the circumstances?

Lesson learned, don't be an asshole and a shitty player, you can at most be one.

I meant 4th line but you know what I mean. What line does Hathaway play on?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
PR nightmare? Is the dude that got caught spitting on another player still employed by the Capitals? :::::checks the Captials teams site::::: Yes he is.

That was several orders of magnitude less of a PR headache than this is. He was suspended and the world moved on. If anyone looked stupid in that scenario, it was DoPS for their bizarre suspension lengths.
This, on the other hand, had 75% of Capitals fans wanting Leipsic off the team (per a 106.7 poll). This was a trending topic across hockey social media, and there’s not exactly a lot of other hockey news to drown it out anytime soon. This was for a player with just a couple dozen games left on his contract, not three+ years.

Reactions: CaptainAmerica

Jun 15, 2007
I meant 4th line but you know what I mean. What line does Hathaway play on?

Is your argument that the Caps only did this because it was the convenient thing to do? I wouldn't disagree with that.

But what point are you trying to make? I don't think it's exactly earth shattering that organizations look out for themselves.

Reactions: Hivemind

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

I think this is more about his teammates being disgusted than about trust. As player I couldn't care less if a teammate is making fun of me in a private group chat. Absolutely irrelevant and I'd bet that most Caps players have done exactly the same...they're just not dumb enough to get caught. There's a lot of trash talk and even fights going on anyway, even among teammates. Nothing special.

I wouldn't want to play with a misogynistic prick though and that's where I'd understand the player if in fact it was them who decided to get rid of Leipsic. Especially if I'm Wilson knowing that Leispic wrote disgusting comments about my partner. Remember, Ottawa got rid of Hoffman for comments that weren't even his own.

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC

Thos whole cancel culture bullshit has gotten and continues to get out of hand. A private convo hacked and leaked and people think its ok to hang him out to dry. What about freedom of speech and thought? This isnt f***ing Xhina where you get told what to think and feel. Way too much is being made of it and the fact that BL and others are going to loose their jobs and careers... is truly disgusting. Ruining a mans life because you dont like what he says... smdh.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Oh I forgot who I was talking to LMAO. My bad. That's on me for engaging with you.

Sorry I quoted you, too...since I don't have the intention to edit my posts, even editing your misogynistic comments sadly won't help you to get out of the hole you dug for yourself:facepalm:

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
That was several orders of magnitude less of a PR headache than this is. He was suspended and the world moved on. If anyone looked stupid in that scenario, it was DoPS for their bizarre suspension lengths.
This, on the other hand, had 75% of Capitals fans wanting Leipsic off the team (per a 106.7 poll). This was a trending topic across hockey social media, and there’s not exactly a lot of other hockey news to drown it out anytime soon. This was for a player with just a couple dozen games left on his contract, not three+ years.

Well, damn, you sited a 106.7 fan poll. That settles things.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
The guy loses his job for being an A-hole on his free time. Is this real life?

Comments about work in your "free time" are still comments about work. Same goes for comments that just reflect poorly on you to your employer or coworkers. If I tell my boss he's an asshole while we're out shopping for golf clubs does that make me immune to consequences?

Do I have to post the XKCD comic? I think so.

free_speech.png

The Man with a Plan

Dec 19, 2008
Victoria BC
Depending on how Hathway and Dowd interpreted his comments, him being an asshole in his free time impacted his job performance, so yeah it's fully justified.

Absolutely NOT. Calling someone a loser is NOT cause for dismissal. Has anyone here ever heard the players miked up and talking shit?

But yeah piss all over his lifes work and the decades of work and effort his family made for him because some thim skinned person who is also a thief and a criminal for breaking into his account and releasing info that was private and none of anyones business.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Comments about work in your "free time" are still comments about work. Same goes for comments that just reflect poorly on you to your employer or coworkers. If I tell my boss he's an asshole while we're out shopping for golf clubs does that make me immune to consequences?

Do I have to post the XKCD comic? I think so.

free_speech.png

Cue g00n and his detailed exaggerations.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad