Player Discussion Brendan Leipsic's Instagram discussion | Update, 5/8/2020: Placed on waivers to terminate contract

Ovechkins Wodka

Dec 1, 2007
DC
Dude how did he lose his career... He got paid for the season as much as any other player. He was a free agent at the end of the season either way
If he damaged his own value for his next contract that’s his own doing

Reactions: Hivemind

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Dude how did he lose his career... He got paid for the season as much as any other player. He was a free agent at the end of the season either way
If he damaged his own value for his next contract that’s his own doing

He's unlikely to get a job in the industry after this. Before at the very least he could have played in Europe, but likely still would have had a gig in the N.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Can’t put the cat back in the bag. Sucks that he was outed, nobody wants that, but it happened and he’s responsible for what he says or types, bottom line.

Why is it hard to understand that people can be angry over the privacy breach issue AND still understand the Caps (and league) position on misogynistic behavior? Doesn’t mean people have never said asshole things, doesn’t mean we’re hypocritical, but it does show awareness of the issue from all sides IMO.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Can’t put the cat back in the bag. Sucks that he was outed, nobody wants that, but it happened and he’s responsible for what he says or types, bottom line.

Why is it hard to understand that people can be angry over the privacy breach issue AND still understand the Caps (and league) position on misogynistic behavior? Doesn’t mean people have never said asshole things, doesn’t mean we’re hypocritical, but it does show awareness of the issue from all sides IMO.

I see both sides and I understand both sides. What gets me is the different standards for players simply because of their status and role with the club. One player actually spits in another players face during a game and he still collects a paycheck. Another player says inappropriate stuff in a private conversation in his free time and he gets fired. I don’t agree with it and I think less of the Capitals organization as a result.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I see you talking about the spitting thing a lot....not an equaling damning event IMO.

In fact, in the eyes of the sponsors, NHL and teams (and probably most people), abusive comments towards women in today’s world is many many times worse. I didn’t make it that way, but that’s the world we live in.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Another player says inappropriate stuff in a private conversation in his free time and he gets fired. I don’t agree with it and I think less of the Capitals organization as a result.

Another player talks shit about his own teammates. Start and stop right there. Right there. The players want him out. They don't want him on their team. He is not even good enough to get a sweater for games and you want the team to force the guy back in? I don't get that.

Reactions: itsjustsurvival

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
Another player talks shit about his own teammates. Start and stop right there. Right there. The players want him out. They don't want him on their team. He is not even good enough to get a sweater for games and you want the team to force the guy back in? I don't get that.

You left out the part of my quote about the player that spit in the face of an opponent during a game.

I get it. Disrespecting someone is cool so long as the player is a regular contributor to the team.

Jacoby4HOF66

Pull my finger
Mar 13, 2009
I see you talking about the spitting thing a lot....not an equaling damning event IMO.

In fact, in the eyes of the sponsors, NHL and teams (and probably most people), abusive comments towards women in today’s world is many many times worse. I didn’t make it that way, but that’s the world we live in.

Yes it is the world we live in and that’s the problem. Disrespecting another human being is wrong regardless of their gender.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Yes it is the world we live in and that’s the problem. Disrespecting another human being is wrong regardless of their gender.

The NHL is rife with disrespect as are all professional sports. If you're trying to weed out disrespect, and think that's the only issue, you're going to have a very narrow view of this.

Players disrespect opponents all the time. It's part of the competitive experience for many. Spitting crosses a line within THAT context.

Talking shit about your linemates, and not in a constructive or open way, crosses an entirely different line.

You can't possibly think spitting at an opponent is the same kind of "disrespect" as trashing your teammates and meaning it, with the same implications for the locker room.

Last edited:

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Yep, I’ll take middle of the road disrespect in sports all day long......spitting is certainly crossing the line, but not the death sentence some of you wanted to dump on the guy.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You left out the part of my quote about the player that spit in the face of an opponent during a game.

I get it. Disrespecting someone is cool so long as the player is a regular contributor to the team.

No. I didn't leave that out. Spitting at an opponent after what happened in that altercation and slandering your own teammates is different. He didn't spit on Wilson or Dowd. Right? Careful with your attitude. The difference is the target of Hathaway was the opposition and the target of Leipsic was his own locker room

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

IIRC Hathaway was under the control of the official when you he punched multiple times. This resulted in the spitting. This as opposed to talking trash about women not involved in the play and his teammates. You cant equate the two things.

Edit: Elliotte Freidman said today he had just done a podcast with former players who all said the Capitals cant have Leipsic back in their locker room

Last edited:

McVechkin

Jun 29, 2015
IIRC Hathaway was under the control of the official when you he punched multiple times. This resulted in the spitting. This as opposed to talking trash about women not involved in the play and his teammates. You cant equate the two things.

Edit: Elliotte Freidman said today he had just done a podcast with former players who all said the Capitals cant have Leipsic back in their locker room

ya. I didn’t like the spitting at all... But it was a heat of the moment reactionary type thing at an opponent. Very different than Leipsic’s comments. Not comparable at all

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad