Brayden Schenn or Tyler Seguin

Toydarian

Jun 2, 2009
I don't know if it's as clear cut as you say. the OHL has a higher scoring rate, so Schenn's 2nd year 0f 70 games and 88 points is closer to Seguins 106 in 63 than you might think at first.
I don't think you can call either one a clear winner yet, both have positives and negatives....

That is entirely subjective and vague at best.

Seguin and Schenn were in similar postions at the beginning of the season, Seguin is still in the NHL and Schenn is playing junior. There are definitely politics and development philosophy involved but the fact still remains Seguin is playing in the best hockey league in the world while Schenn is dominating major junior.

There isn't really a lot to go on regarding who will be the better player; however Seguin was projected to be a future no.1 franchise centre in his draft year, Schenn was projected to be a strong two-way player likely to be a 2nd line centre with the chance of becoming a no.1 centre.

Last edited:

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
OK I'll add a twist to this thread. If schenn was born a month later he wouldnt have been eligible untill the 2010 nhl draft. Who would have went higher, Schenn or Seguin?

17Kurri

Apr 10, 2010
I think Seguin has more physical tools, but Schenn has a higher hockey IQ, so I think it's a toss up.

If forced to choose, however, I'd probably take Seguin because I think the discrepancy in physical tools is greater than the discrepancy in hockey IQ.

HockeySauce

Jan 26, 2011
I think Seguin has more physical tools, but Schenn has a higher hockey IQ, so I think it's a toss up.

If forced to choose, however, I'd probably take Seguin because I think the discrepancy in physical tools is greater than the discrepancy in hockey IQ.

That actually looks like it should be reversed.

Seguin has a higher offensive ceiling so I would take him.

I see Schenn becoming a very good 60-70 point 2nd line centre, but Seguin a 80-90 point 1st line centre.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
OK I'll add a twist to this thread. If schenn was born a month later he wouldnt have been eligible untill the 2010 nhl draft. Who would have went higher, Schenn or Seguin?

1. Hall
2. Seguin
3. Schenn
4. Gud

Just my opinion. Though Schenn fits Boston's mold better, Seguin is just too good to make up for the team needs. Same reason why Hall went over Seguin, though Edmonton needs a center

LAKings88

First round fodder
Dec 4, 2006
here or there
Schenn could have stayed and played in LA but he was sent down as to not burn a year playing fourth line minutes. I don't see why this is so hard to understand. Schenn is 19 years old, what is the *** rush? Kid has been nails everywhere he has played this year. Even next year he might not step in as a second line center and we will all have to hear how he sucks cause he's playing third line minutes. Alot of miopic thinking going on in this thread. Schenn does not have the best foot speed but from what I have seen his positioning is very solid and he will be a solid playmaker, I think I'd like to see him with the puck on the side boards and Kopitar blasting one timers.

That being said Seguin deserves any praise he gets.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
Tyler Seguin and its not even close. I like Schenn but Seguin is younger, ahead in development, and with a higher ceiling.

Seguin still projects franchise center, while Schenn projects 1st/2nd cent.

And I am one of those so called "Seguin Haters" who think that he is behind Skinner and Fowler.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
What are you basing this off of..The world juniors? He racked up some big numbers against poor teams. I'm not saying he didn't score against the better teams but he had like a 5 point game against (Norway was it?)

Remember that Cody Hodgson guy? He had a pretty damn good WJ in 2008 and still has yet to establish himself as full time an NHLer. He plays on the 4th line, I would know, I'm a Canucks fan.

Schenn does not have the speed or puck skills to be a 1st line center, No I'm not joking.

I agree with you, I was not overly impressed with Schenn's play at the WJCs. He put up the points but he was not a dominant player and I thought he disappeared a little in the tough games.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007
I personally agree that seguin wouldve went higher even if schenn was in his draft class but I think it wouldve been labeled as "the big 3" rather than "taylor vs tyler". You have to remember schenn also made the wjc team and seguin didnt which also wouldve made the top 3 more interesting

neoen

Jan 24, 2009
Schenn is and will be better than Seguin. Hands down. Plays way harder on the puck, and for the person above that mentioned something about physical play. I don't see Seguin throwing his body around, and dropping the gloves when needed like Schenn.

BeastoftheEast85

Dec 31, 2010
New Jersey
I personally agree that seguin wouldve went higher even if schenn was in his draft class but I think it wouldve been labeled as "the big 3" rather than "taylor vs tyler". You have to remember schenn also made the wjc team and seguin didnt which also wouldve made the top 3 more interesting

Yea Seguin wasn't on the WJC because he was playing in the NHL...

If you mean the year before he was drafted, Schenn wasn't on the 2009 team.

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

I meant if Schenn was a month younger and wasnt eligible till 2010, then him and hall wouldve made wjc as draft eligible players while seguin didnt make it, so it would have been billed as a "big 3" draft in 2010......I thought he was on it but if he wasnt that makes more sense

northeastern

Apr 16, 2009
boston
Schenn is and will be better than Seguin. Hands down. Plays way harder on the puck, and for the person above that mentioned something about physical play. I don't see Seguin throwing his body around, and dropping the gloves when needed like Schenn.

you seem very confident for being in the minority

Breakfast of Champs

Apr 15, 2007

If you mean the year before he was drafted, Schenn wasn't on the 2009 team.

I just checked the roster and he was in fact on the 2010 team, which means if he was a month younger he wouldve been on the team as a draft eligible player that year along with hall. Seguin was cut though which makes me believe that in some peoples minds schenn would be a higher prospect for the 2010 draft. Personally, Id still take seguin though

Jayevs

Formerly avsman
Jul 29, 2010
Seguin will be a first line center, schenn will be the 2 in a 1-2 punch behind kopitar

DuklaNation

Aug 26, 2004
SOme comments here are a joke. Hard to say really who is better. I feel they are different style of player. Seguin, well rounded offensive game, more of a goal scorer, better finish and shot, an edge in his initial step. Schenn is more physical, 2-way game, better passer, his skating has improved a lot.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
At this point for anyone to say either player "and it's not even close" is a joke. It says more about the poster then about either player

member 96824

Well..last year, while being a year more experienced than Seguin...Seguin put up better numbers and was MVP of a tougher league. This year, he remains on an NHL roster and contributing, while Schenn is still a "I can't wait to see this player next year"

I love Schenn...but it's Seguin.

Wondercarrot

By The Power of Canadian Tire Centre
Jul 2, 2002
Can't say I'm a big fan of schenn from the 10-we times I've seen him.
Maybe its too small a sample but he smells like daniel tzachuk to me.

I suppose that's silly given how everyone here knows he's going to be/already is super awesome
I don't know I just see a decent end line center, nothing especially special.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Well..last year, while being a year more experienced than Seguin...Seguin put up better numbers and was MVP of a tougher league. This year, he remains on an NHL roster and contributing, while Schenn is still a "I can't wait to see this player next year"

I love Schenn...but it's Seguin.

Proof that the OHL a tougher league than the dub?

13 others

Apr 18, 2007

I don't see Stamkos throwing his body around and dropping his gloves when needed like Richards either.

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
I have no vested interest in either prospect, but if I had to say, I'd probably say I'd rather have Schenn - even though as an Oilers fan I was hoping they could somehow trade up for Seguin in the Draft to go with Hall

NUhockey

Jul 6, 2010
Boston
Seguin, but the 1-2 punch of Kopitar and Schenn could be awesome. I probably follow the Kings second most to the Bruins, and this will give me more the reason to do so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad