Brayden Schenn or Tyler Seguin

SK13

non torsii subligarium
Jul 23, 2007
Edmonton
Yes, a GPG (15 G in 16 GP) and more then APG (24 in 16) is definitely not impressive because he is 19, well done good sir!! :laugh::help:

It's less impressive because he's 19 and in his 4th year of Junior.

Seguin would be expected to be in that same category if he were in Plymouth, and this would be his third developmental year, not his fourth.

Keep in mind that since Schenn's been traded, he's also been playing on the best team in the WHL by a fair margin.

wendelclark17

Sep 13, 2007
Seguin.

Not really much to discuss there. Brayden schenn is the new cody hodgson on these boards. Not saying schenn isnt a good blue chip prospect, I would just rather have Seguin any day.

Captain Mittens*

/fixed
Brayden Schenn couldn't even stay on the LA Kings roster this year... Seguin, even though he's not playing a ton of minutes is doing really well on an NHL team.

If Seguin was in junior everyone would be saying Brayden who?

Schenn not being on the roster had nothing to do with his talent.

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009
Better question, why does a Leaf fan give a **** who we'd "rather have?" Theyre both better prospects than anyone they have.

Also, Seguin is a year younger, was the number two pick the year AFTER Schenn, and is actually playing in the NHL. Call me a homer, but I'm going Seguin.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
I'd take Seguin at this point for the soul fact that he cracked a deep, playoff ready NHL roster at 18.

Truthfully though you can't go wrong with either of these prospects. One will most likely be a PPG center with blazing speed and one of the best releases I've seen on a rookie in a long time (not to mention really impressing me at the hardest shot competition at the ASG, kids got a cannon) The other will be a fantastic 2-way player with physicality and grit that will earn him many goals in grimy areas that will endear himself to any fanbase.

I hate these threads though that try to compare two young prospects from different leagues, that are different ages (I realize they're only a couple months apart but that's a big difference when one player has an extra year of juniors under his belt) and have had completely different development paths. I wonder what prompted this question.....

Numbah4

Mar 6, 2008
WTF is this?

This was a thinly veiled attemp by a Leafs fan to diminish what Toronto gave up to be thrilled. Any Bruins/Kings/Schenn/Seguin fans arguing over whom is better. Are missing the point of the thread.

NsBruinsfan

Nov 28, 2008
Halifax, NS
Better question, why does a Leaf fan give a **** who we'd "rather have?" Theyre both better prospects than anyone they have.

Also, Seguin is a year younger, was the number two pick the year AFTER Schenn, and is actually playing in the NHL. Call me a homer, but I'm going Seguin.

Because the leaf fan I would say expects Burke to pull of a trade for Schenn and then if most went with Schenn in this he could troll the Bruins board hard about it...

13 others

Apr 18, 2007
There is nothing that points to Schenn being a "second or third line tweener". Not stats, not scouting reports, not Schenn's coach and GM. You are clearly overdramatizing in order to benefit your argument. Either that or you are completely clueless. Either way, it's irresponsible to post this kind of stuff.

Fine, he'll be a ppg 1st line center like every first round pick according to HF.

ORR2Sanderson2ORR

Bobby Orr Scores
Aug 24, 2005
Everywhere
thanks for Colborne!!

jk

It's the least we could do,I mean the leafs did help the Bruins tremendously with their playoff chances but just in case you didn't realize,that's how a trade is suppose to work I team helping another and vise-versa.

By the way you ever heard the saying don't throw stones if you live in a glass house?...Seguin,knight,Kaberle and another top 10 pick....=== Playoffs === present success and future success ....

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
It's the least we could do,I mean the leafs did help the Bruins tremendously with their playoff chances but just in case you didn't realize,that's how a trade is suppose to work I team helping another and vise-versa.

By the way you ever heard the saying don't throw stones if you live in a glass house?...Seguin,knight,Kaberle and another top 10 pick....=== Playoffs === present success and future success ....

You guys are better now... but in terms of the future assets I like what we have in Kessel, Colborne, 1st round pick, hopefully 2nd round pick...

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Honestly, it's really not that impressive. When you go from playing in the NHL/AHL for as long as Schenn did, you're accustomed to a much faster game, which is part of the reason he dominated at the WJCs.

You must have some damn high standards. Being on pace for over 160 points in the WHL (a league known to be tighter checking) is not impressive?

As a 19 year old?

You people are ridic.

Yog S'loth

Sep 7, 2005
Southern California
Here is my reasoning for Seguin:

1. He actually plays in the NHL. One of the few cases where Schenn doesnt get the "centre depth" excuse. Both players had to impress mightily to stay on their teams rosters. One did, one didnt. I realize Seguin's draft pedigree helped a bit, but he earned his spot in the NHL.

2. Seguin is putting up very good points as an 18 year old. Could hit 30 the way hes played lately, and expect his point totals to increase A LOT when he gets more than 10 minutes of ice.

3. Seguin does most things better than Schenn. Hes a lot faster, slightly better passer, and has a better shot (has a good release). Schenn has physical play, and defensive play, but thats it

4. Schenn's footspeed will prevent him from being a gamebreaker like Seguin. This was shown at the WJC, when he was unable to will his way through team Russia, like Kuznetsov did.

All in all, Seguin will likely end up a better player. I am not thrashing Schenn at all though. For if neither were to become offensive beasts, Schenn would be able to play a 3rd line role more effectively than Seguin. Schenn will be a very good NHL player, and is elite in his own right, but Seguin just has that quality which stars have

I'm a Kings fan, and I'm going to hop right on board this analysis. I have very high hopes for Schenn, but Seguin is getting it done in the NHL.

bruinsfan46

Dec 2, 2006
London, ON
You guys are better now... but in terms of the future assets I like what we have in Kessel, Colborne, 1st round pick, hopefully 2nd round pick...

The Bruins have way better future assets than Colborne, he was definitely not the Leafs first target.

You must have some damn high standards. Being on pace for over 160 points in the WHL (a league known to be tighter checking) is not impressive?

As a 19 year old?

You people are ridic.

You've been on the board for how long and are actually surprised jfried is trolling? He wasn't tooting his not impressed horn about Kadri last year.

As for the question, Seguin. The NHL is the fastest league in the world and Seguin has a substantial footspeed advantage and just an overall great offensive skillset.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
I think every prospect will be taught how to play properly in all three zones. That doesnt mean no prospect cant be rushed into the NHL way too early. We'll see within a couple of years.

CNS

A World Alone
May 24, 2008
Taking my Kings bias out, I would probably take Schenn. He's a guy who has a terrific offensive upside, plays physical and nasty, will drop the gloves for his team, and could be the future captain of this team one day. I was never really that high on Seguin.

BigBrown

Fly at eleven.
Feb 2, 2010
Sweden
I'm a Kings fan and I haven't seen enough of either to really make that call. Schenn is crushing it in juniors right now but Seguin would probably be too if he played there. I guess I'd lean towards Seguin based on draft year, pedigree and now NHL experience.

But as I said, I haven't seen enough of either to even make an educated guess on the subject.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Seguins draft season in OHL was way better than both than Schenns draft season AND the season a year later. Seguin has made the contenders roster as a 18 year old in his first NHL eligable year while Schenn will try to make it in the 3rd on a worse team. Right now its really not that close.

I don't know if it's as clear cut as you say. the OHL has a higher scoring rate, so Schenn's 2nd year 0f 70 games and 88 points is closer to Seguins 106 in 63 than you might think at first.
I don't think you can call either one a clear winner yet, both have positives and negatives....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad