Brayden Schenn or Tyler Seguin

knifer

Sep 4, 2006
yk
Seguin is a #1 center a la Joe Sakic.
Schenn is your #2 center a la Forsberg.

Both are going to be great and it'd be great to have both on one team.

This place is becoming too much. I thought when i heard Lindros and Kulemin in the same breath that would be tops. But i was wrong.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Schenn is not more a sure bet to reach his potential. I don't see him as a top 6 player at this point. The way he''s going he looks like a 3rd/2nd line tweener.

There is nothing that points to Schenn being a "second or third line tweener". Not stats, not scouting reports, not Schenn's coach and GM. You are clearly overdramatizing in order to benefit your argument. Either that or you are completely clueless. Either way, it's irresponsible to post this kind of stuff.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Schenn is not more a sure bet to reach his potential. I don't see him as a top 6 player at this point. The way he''s going he looks like a 3rd/2nd line tweener.

There is nothing that points to Schenn being a "second or third line tweener". Not stats, not scouting reports, not Schenn's coach and GM. You are clearly overdramatizing in order to benefit your argument. Either that or you are completely clueless. Either way, it's irresponsible to post this kind of stuff.

ian09

Dec 6, 2010
Canada
playing on the best team in the WHL as a 19 year old who has had NHL experience... it should have been a given that schenn would be producing at this rate, and because of this some believe he will become better than seguin who is having a decent first year in the NHL? :help:

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
Yes, a GPG (15 G in 16 GP) and more then APG (24 in 16) is definitely not impressive because he is 19, well done good sir!! :laugh::help:

You don't think Seguin could do that in the OHL next year (or the WHL for that matter)? Because that's the equivalent accomplishment for Seguin and that's who we're comparing Schenn to. You can't argue that Schenn has had the WHL/OHL and you can't argue that Schenn has had the better NHL career. He's been better at the WJC by default and if you like his skillset better and think he'll have the better future based on that, that's fine (I'd disagree with you, but whatever), but you can't say that Schenn has had a better hockey career to date.

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
some of you kids are a straight up embarrassment to yourselves. the sensationalism and hyperbole in here is on some 14 or 15 year old pimply faced angry teenager ****. calling Schenn a potential 2nd or 3rd line tweener and saying there's a universe between the two, **** like that. you're not being funny. I'd still take Seguin over Schenn, basically on his draft pedigree alone but the only reason Schenn isn't playing in the NHL right now is because of LA's centre depth and they have no reason to rush him.

both have potential to be impact players of some sort at the pro level but each is a slightly different variation of the other. the person who pegged them as a Toews/Richards type of situation is bang on the money.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
A little ridiculous how many people are using "and it ain't even close" one way or the other. Both excellent young players, but both have a lot to prove, it's way too early to call. Schenn is having an incredible season in juniors, while Seguin made the NHL at the age of 18 and does not looking out of place, you basically can't go wrong. If absolutely forced to chose between the two I might give the edge to Seguin for his superior speed, but it's pretty close/hard to tell IMO. LOL at posts like this beauty:
How stupid are people? Seguin, & there not in the same universe.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I highly doubt that he would be putting up better numbers than Schenns 43pts in 18 games.

Seguin is in his 18 yr old season currently, and Schenn is in his 19 yr old season. If you put Seguin in the OHL in the second half of NEXT year, I would bet my car he'd put up better numbers.

plikestechno

Mar 14, 2008
Seguin by far. He'd be ripping it up and challenging for ROYear on the Oilers given the freedom but on a tight, deep Boston time he is still playing well and contributing. I still hope the Oilers can get Schenn for Hemsky but he's no Tyler Seguin.

ThankYouBasedGod

Oct 25, 2010
Saskatoon
You don't think Seguin could do that in the OHL next year (or the WHL for that matter)? Because that's the equivalent accomplishment for Seguin and that's who we're comparing Schenn to. You can't argue that Schenn has had the WHL/OHL and you can't argue that Schenn has had the better NHL career. He's been better at the WJC by default and if you like his skillset better and think he'll have the better future based on that, that's fine (I'd disagree with you, but whatever), but you can't say that Schenn has had a better hockey career to date.

LOL at the bolded part. I am not saying that Seguin couldn't do that in the OHL next year (he would come close, but prob not that good). No, obviously I can't argue that Schenn has had the better career because he is not in the NHL, although IMO he should be. Also, I don't get where in my post I said Schenn has more potential then Seguin, looks like all I said was that calling Schenns current play with the Blades as unimpressive because he is 19 is ludicrous. Before you start to type out your spiel make sure that you actually read the post you're quoting. As of right now I would take Seguin, but Schenn will be one hell of a player as well IMO.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Seguin is in his 18 yr old season currently, and Schenn is in his 19 yr old season. If you put Seguin in the OHL in the second half of NEXT year, I would bet my car he'd put up better numbers.

18 yr old season? 19 year old season? Give it a rest, they are 5 months apart. Plus, Seguin is 19 now, if you put him in the OHL in the second half of NEXT year, he would be turning 20.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
18 yr old season? 19 year old season? Give it a rest, they are 5 months apart. Plus, Seguin is 19 now, if you put him in the OHL in the second half of NEXT year, he would be turning 20.

What do you mean? I'm referring to their ages in regards to their junior eligibility. This year is Schenn's 4th season in the WHL and next year would be Seguin's theoretical 4th season in the OHL. Doesn't it make sense to compare their stats by that basis? An entire year of an experience in the WHL/OHL is quite substantial in terms of becoming familiar with competition and learning to dominate.

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
LOL at the bolded part. I am not saying that Seguin couldn't do that in the OHL next year (he would come close, but prob not that good). No, obviously I can't argue that Schenn has had the better career because he is not in the NHL, although IMO he should be. Also, I don't get where in my post I said Schenn has more potential then Seguin, looks like all I said was that calling Schenns current play with the Blades as unimpressive because he is 19 is ludicrous. Before you start to type out your spiel make sure that you actually read the post you're quoting. As of right now I would take Seguin, but Schenn will be one hell of a player as well IMO.

I wasn't just responding to you. I know I only quoted you, but only my first sentence (the rhetorical question) was directed exclusively at your quote. The rest was just a broad argument against those picking Schenn. People can't compare Seguin's OHL year the year before he was drafted to Schenn's year in the WHL two seasons after he was drafted. Seguin was much better as a 17/18 year old than Schenn was. That's the only OHL/WHL comparison. People (again, not necessarily you) are knocking down Seguin for not playing like a top 6 forward in the NHL yet, but you can't knock him down below someone who hasn't done anything in the NHL.

PsychoDad

Apr 20, 2007
Berlin
Seguins draft season in OHL was way better than both than Schenns draft season AND the season a year later. Seguin has made the contenders roster as a 18 year old in his first NHL eligable year while Schenn will try to make it in the 3rd on a worse team. Right now its really not that close.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
How hasn't Seguin or Schenn met expectations?

I think they've both done the expected... Seguin wasn't quite NHL ready and made the team and is doing okay on the whole. He wasn't as ready as Hall was, that's why Hall was 1st.

Schenn has done just fine for a 5th overall, IMHO.

Both should've been NHL ready for this year. Seguin was an 18 year old who absolutely tore up the OHL last year -- he should've been able to contribute more offence. Schenn was a well-rounded forward who was drafted two years ago, he should've been able to contribute at the NHL level by now.

39 points in 16 games with the Saskatoon Blades this year will do that....

Honestly, it's really not that impressive. When you go from playing in the NHL/AHL for as long as Schenn did, you're accustomed to a much faster game, which is part of the reason he dominated at the WJCs.

Actually, there's a lot that points to him only being a 2nd/3rd line centre -- he may not have that natural high end offensive game. In Brandon, he had great chemistry with Scott Glennie & Matt Calvert, this year, he joined a very good Blades team after playing professional hockey for ~1/2 of the year. Seguin carried a very bad team to success in the OHL (had twice as many goals and points as the next best guy on his team), despite it being only his 2nd OHL season.

Schenn's maximum realistic potential is problably a guy like Ryan Kesler, whereas Seguin has the very realistic potential to be a guy that carries his team's offence.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad