Brayden Schenn or Tyler Seguin

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
It's less impressive because he's 19 and in his 4th year of Junior.

Seguin would be expected to be in that same category if he were in Plymouth, and this would be his third developmental year, not his fourth.

Keep in mind that since Schenn's been traded, he's also been playing on the best team in the WHL by a fair margin.
This statement has more or less been repeated over and over again and in this thread, but I don't think people understand how silly it is. People always seem to expect prospects to improve their stats ever year, but VERY OFTEN even top prospects will see their stats level off or decline, production increasing massively from year to year is FAR from a lock. Look at someone like John Tavares for example, he put up way better stats in 06/07 in Oshawa than he did in 07/08 or 08/09, and this is simply not uncommon at all. Schenn has 16 goals and 43 points in 18 games this year, those numbers are INSANE for the WHL, and honestly I don't think it's likely that Seguin would be producing at that rate in juniors right now (or next year) simply because those stats are just ridiculous.

People also seem to be insinuating that Schenn is way older, which is simply not the case, both Schenn and Seguin are 19 years old, Schenn is only around 6 months older. Schenn almost made the Kings this year, Seguin barely made the Bruins, it's hardly the be all and end all of their careers.

Also, the "Seguin will be a #1 C, Schenn will be a #2 to Kopitar" argument is ridiculous too. Malkin is a #2 to Crosby, Kesler is a #2 to Henrik, one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg have often centered the 2nd line on Detroit, it hasn't prevented these guys from being among the top centers in the league.

I'm not trying to say Schenn is going to be better, I just think that it's way too soon to tell at this point. Schenn is having an absolutely phenomenal year in the WHL and in the WJCs, Seguin has the better draft pedigree and is having a decent rookie year in the NHL, both likely have very bright futures. If absolutely forced to chose one or the other I might side with Seguin for his superior speed/quickness, but at the same time I also like Schenn's toughness and strength on the puck. It really is a toss up at the moment IMO, and that is in no way meant as an insult to either player.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
This statement has more or less been repeated over and over again and in this thread, but I don't think people understand how silly it is. People always seem to expect prospects to improve their stats ever year, but VERY OFTEN even top prospects will see their stats level off or decline, production increasing massively from year to year is FAR from a lock. Look at someone like John Tavares for example, he put up way better stats in 06/07 in Oshawa than he did in 07/08 or 08/09, and this is simply not uncommon at all. Schenn has 16 goals and 43 points in 18 games this year, those numbers are INSANE for the WHL, and honestly I don't think it's likely that Seguin would be producing at that rate in juniors right now (or next year) simply because those stats are just ridiculous.

People also seem to be insinuating that Schenn is way older, which is simply not the case, both Schenn and Seguin are 19 years old, Schenn is only around 6 months older. Schenn almost made the Kings this year, Seguin barely made the Bruins, it's hardly the be all and end all of their careers.

Also, the "Seguin will be a #1 C, Schenn will be a #2 to Kopitar" argument is ridiculous too. Malkin is a #2 to Crosby, Kesler is a #2 to Henrik, one of Datsyuk or Zetterberg have often centered the 2nd line on Detroit, it hasn't prevented these guys from being among the top centers in the league.

I'm not trying to say Schenn is going to be better, I just think that it's way too soon to tell at this point. Schenn is having an absolutely phenomenal year in the WHL and in the WJCs, Seguin has the better draft pedigree and is having a decent rookie year in the NHL, both likely have very bright futures. If absolutely forced to chose one or the other I might side with Seguin for his superior speed/quickness, but at the same time I also like Schenn's toughness and strength on the puck. It really is a toss up at the moment IMO, and that is in no way meant as an insult to either player.

/thread

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
Oiler fan: I'd take Schenn. I obviously watched Seguin/Hall very closely last year. Seguin was a one season wonder, where Schenn has been steadily developing his overall game.
Seguin will be a 2nd line/pp centre
Schenn will be a 2nd line/two way centre

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
Oiler fan: I'd take Schenn. I obviously watched Seguin/Hall very closely last year. Seguin was a one season wonder, where Schenn has been steadily developing his overall game.
Seguin will be a 2nd line/pp centre
Schenn will be a 2nd line/two way centre

I'm also an Oilers fan who watched both VERY closely. Don't know where you got the idea that Seguin, who is 18, was a one-season wonder at this point in time.

Homesick

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 2, 2005
Calgary
I'm also an Oilers fan who watched both VERY closely. Don't know where you got the idea that Seguin, who is 18, was a one-season wonder at this point in time.
He had a breakout season in the OHL at the right time. I didnt get the hype between Hall or Seguin.

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
Actually, there's a lot that points to him only being a 2nd/3rd line centre -- he may not have that natural high end offensive game. In Brandon, he had great chemistry with Scott Glennie & Matt Calvert, this year, he joined a very good Blades team after playing professional hockey for ~1/2 of the year. .

So what of that points to him being a "second or third line tweener"?

no name

Nov 28, 2002
Tornado Alley
Visit site
It's less impressive because he's 19 and in his 4th year of Junior.

Seguin would be expected to be in that same category if he were in Plymouth, and this would be his third developmental year, not his fourth.

Keep in mind that since Schenn's been traded, he's also been playing on the best team in the WHL by a fair margin.

He was a PPG player in the AHL in his 8 games on the conditioning assignment loophole that the Kings took advantage of. Where else is he supposed to play? He's playing against guys the same age as him.

leafsfuture

Mar 30, 2008
He had a breakout season in the OHL at the right time. I didnt get the hype between Hall or Seguin.

Uhh... He had about the same amount of points as Schenn in his rookie season. And if you consider that Seguin started in Plymouth on the 4th line, thats impressive.

When he moved onto the top line after the U-17s he was scoring at almost a point and a half per game pace.

Seguin has always been elite for his age group. Look at the OHL Cup when he was tied with McFarland in socring despite playing less games and being on a much worse team.

He led all 92's in scoring in the CHL both last year and the year before that.

Vic Rattlehead*

lol @ calling Seguin a one year wonder.

All one has to do is watch Seguin to understand how truly gifted he is....he's been great the past two weeks despite getting minimal ice time. Hell, he's come a long way defensively since the beginning of the year and shows flashes of brilliance game in and game out.

puckfan13

Jan 18, 2010
I'm the biggest Oilers fan out there but I can't wait until I'm cackling and rolling a blunt in Homesick's face after Seguin starts being a game-changer out there. It's only a matter of time.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands

Best post in this topic. Great post. You are anyhow one of the better posters.

I think Seguin will turn out to be better, yet what Ive read here (age difference, #1 vs #2 center, Seguin would tear up the WHL too, Schenn couldnt crack the Kings line and Seguin could with Boston etc etc) are ridiculous arguments.

You summed it up pretty well.

milanforpresident89*

You guys are better now... but in terms of the future assets I like what we have in Kessel, Colborne, 1st round pick, hopefully 2nd round pick...

:facepalm:

Please PLEASE tell me your joking. Mostly all of our best players are 25 or younger, Lucic,marchand,krejci,bergeron,horton, we have a future franchise center that you gave us, one of the best prospect pools in the nhl (atleast top 10), and have your top 10 pick this year.

You have a 1st round pick that is gonna be 26-30 lol, a decent 2nd/good 3rd liner in colborne. Kessel is a really good offensive player thats about it.

You wanna edit that post?

sniper81

Oct 30, 2009
toronto
:facepalm:

Please PLEASE tell me your joking. Mostly all of our best players are 25 or younger, Lucic,marchand,krejci,bergeron,horton, we have a future franchise center that you gave us, one of the best prospect pools in the nhl (atleast top 10), and have your top 10 pick this year.

You have a 1st round pick that is gonna be 26-30 lol, a decent 2nd/good 3rd liner in colborne. Kessel is a really good offensive player thats about it.

You wanna edit that post?

i think what bozak didnt mention was we have all these assets and cap space. for me, i take sequin because of his offensive upside even though i believe both can be franchise types, to those saying its not even close,:shakehead

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad