Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Tampa will move other players long before they move Point. And the Rangers would be thrilled if Kakko becomes as good as Point (same for the Devils and Hughes).

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
You don't trade a young sure-fire high-producing star player for a super high-potential draft pick / prospect. Point is what you hope Kakko develops into at his high-end.

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Can we use this on all players . NYR want to trade Kreider for a high pick . He is a mid 50 point player . Edmonton offers a 2nd for him as we don't know if he will be as good playing with RNH . He may only get 35 or 40 points . Sounds ridiculous doesn't it ?
Oh, what 100+ point player does Kreider play with? Who scored 100 without Kreider having a similar year previously?

It’s very obviously not even close to the same. Kreider has scored 50s for years and doesn’t have a line mate who scores prolifically with or without him.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
You don't trade a young sure-fire high-producing star player for a super high-potential draft pick / prospect. Point is what you hope Kakko develops into at his high-end.
Kakko has a higher ceiling than Point and his expectation should be a Barkov / Laine at least.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Larry Brooks posited something similar with Leon Draisaitl - something along the lines of “the Rangers aren’t moving that pick unless , say, Edmonton offers Leon Draisaitl.” Larry Brooks is a moron; Guys like Draisaitl and Point are what you cross your fingers and go to bed praying a guy like Kakko becomes and there is absolutely zero sense in trading a young elite player for a draft pick you hope might get close to their level one day.

Tampa will move about 18 guys before they even consider dealing Point.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
It’s a pretty reasonable assumption, considering he’s - you know - elite, right now.

Silly statement. Observe.

“Edmonton shouldn’t trade 8th overall for Zibanejad, who says he would be any good with the Oilers?”

I hope you realize there’s a huge difference between leaving Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman to going to play in NY as opposed to leaving NY, playing with Chris Kreider to go play with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.

“Silly statement. Observe.”

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I hope you realize there’s a huge difference between leaving Stamkos, Kucherov and Hedman to going to play in NY as opposed to leaving NY, playing with Chris Kreider to go play with Connor McDavid and Leon Draisaitl.

“Silly statement. Observe.”

Ranger fans pump Kreider’s tires to the point of explosion and swear up and down he’s a high end first line forward so if that’s true I’m sure Point would be fine.

I hope you realize that a player like Point is going to be elite wherever he goes and would instantly make the Rangers significantly better. You’re lacking high end talent. If Tampa would do 2nd overall for him you should sprint to the trade registry before they change their minds.

Reactions: Big Daddy Cane

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
So yeah, Zibanejad going to Edmonton could do better considering he scored 30 goals and 74 points on a dumpster fire of team, while Point scored over 90 playing with the Art Ross winner and a two time Richard winner who also happened to put up 90+ points.

Not saying Point’s production is all due to Kucherov and Stamkos, but look at what happened to Barzal. He had to take on all of the top matchups after Tavares left and scored 23 points less this season. Point will have to take all of the tough matchups every shift, every night.

Point scoring 60-70 points a year in NY without that kind of help around him is entirely possible and why would the rangers give up a potential talent like Kakko when they’re rebuilding and will have to pay Point a hell of a lot sooner?

I imagine the rebuilding team isn’t going to want to accelerate the rebuild that way and the win now team isn’t trading their proven talent. Points are moot otherwise, so arguing is pointless.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Ranger fans pump Kreider’s tires to the point of explosion and swear up and down he’s a high end first line forward so if that’s true I’m sure Point would be fine.

Kreider is a legitimate top-6 forward. Most sane Ranger fans understand there are question marks with him and that’s why a lot of us are hesitant for the team to give him a new deal. I’m sure you’ve seen this in the threads, considering you’ve frequented quite a few.

I hope you realize that a player like Point is going to be elite wherever he goes and would instantly make the Rangers significantly better. You’re lacking high end talent. If Tampa would do 2nd overall for him you should sprint to the trade registry before they change their minds.

So you’re saying there should be no concern, that point is a lock to continue at a 90+ point pace without Stamkos and Kucherov? Without being a part of that power play?

You can believe that, I’ll take the skeptic route and gladly take Kakko.

If they want to add Panarin, they’ll add Panarin. Let them build the right way.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Kreider is a legitimate top-6 forward. Most sane Ranger fans understand there are question marks with him and that’s why a lot of us are hesitant for the team to give him a new deal. I’m sure you’ve seen this in the threads, considering you’ve frequented quite a few.

So you’re saying there should be no concern, that point is a lock to continue at a 90+ point pace without Stamkos and Kucherov? Without being a part of that power play?

You can believe that, I’ll take the skeptic route and gladly take Kakko.

If they want to add Panarin, they’ll add Panarin. Let them build the right way.

Maybe I’m lumping too many of you into the Bernmeister basket but there seems to be a lot of you guys that assign a questionable premium to a guy that’s never hit 55 points. He’s no doubt a top six, but I see him as more a high end 2nd liner then a top flight first liner. The Nugent-Hopkins class of players, but on the wing (ignoring playstyles)

Point might drop a bit, sure (even though on a less stacked team he’d probably see more icetime and more prime opportunities) but say I humour this and we say he drops 20 points as a Ranger, you’re telling me you wouldn’t take a young 70 point high end two way 1C that you could lock in long term? I think you’re overrating the potential value of the draft pick and underrating the immediate impact such a player would make for your team. You’d basically be adding 2017-18 Sebastian Aho.

Take it from a fan of a team that’s seen too many picks miss. Take the sure thing.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Maybe I’m lumping too many of you into the Bernmeister basket but there seems to be a lot of you guys that assign a questionable premium to a guy that’s never hit 55 points. He’s no doubt a top six, but I see him as more a high end 2nd liner then a top flight first liner. The Nugent-Hopkins class of players, but on the wing (ignoring playstyles)

Please don’t lump any of us in with Bernie. We’ve ALL blasted him for his “sacred cow” (his words) treatment of Kreider. None of us think like him.

Point might drop a bit, sure (even though on a less stacked team he’d probably see more icetime and more prime opportunities) but say I humour this and we say he drops 20 points as a Ranger, you’re telling me you wouldn’t take a young 70 point high end two way 1C that you could lock in long term? I think you’re overrating the potential value of the draft pick and underrating the immediate impact such a player would make for your team. You’d basically be adding 2017-18 Sebastian Aho.

Take it from a fan of a team that’s seen too many picks miss. Take the sure thing.

It’s not just he sees more icetime and more prime opportunities. Look at what happened to Barzal after Tavares left. Islander fans told me I was crazy to say he could drop to a 60 point player. He had 62 this year. He had to take the top matchups shift after shift and didn’t have Tavares on the power play.

Point ES: 21 goals, 36 assists, 57 points
Point PP: 20 goals (league leader), 15 assists, 35 points.

Source: Hockey Reference

He’s going to take dips in production at both ES and PP, ESPECIALLY on the PP, considering Tampa Bay’s unit is the best in the league and NYR’s was 17th. Will those rankings change on both ends? Yes. Will that have an effect on Point’s profuction? Yes.

There’s also no guarantee he has chemistry here with certain players. The same way that Bernmeister thinks that McDavid could turn Kreider into a 50 goal scorer or that Kakko is going to be as good as Point, we can’t assume the same about Point in NY.

The bottom line is that it’s a huge gamble for both the Lightning and the Rangers and it doesn’t make sense for either team in relation to each team’s window to win. Neither team is going to make this deal. We could argue about Point’s production in circles for days. This deal would most likely not happen.

I’m just gonna watch the playoffs and hope Point absolutely goes off from here on out and Tampa wins it all and Dallas makes the western finals... and drink a lot of alcohol during that... and even more if it doesn’t happen.

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
Ranger GM does this, Tampa GM only if he has to. Might be a small Ranger add but it's not a terrible idea if Tampa is up against the wall. That said they are pretty well run and I doubt this happens.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Ranger GM does this, Tampa GM only if he has to. Might be a small Ranger add but it's not a terrible idea if Tampa is up against the wall. That said they are pretty well run and I doubt this happens.
I would guarantee you that he doesnt. Kakko is going to be an elite generational player who is going to cost less than a million dollars for the next 3 years.

Why would we give that up for an Inflated Point and his multi million dollar mega contract.

We would take our chances on Kakko and he will be our leading forward for a long time .

BlueBaron

May 29, 2006
Sarnia, On
I would guarantee you that he doesnt. Kakko is going to be an elite generational player who is going to cost less than a million dollars for the next 3 years.

Why would we give that up for an Inflated Point and his multi million dollar mega contract.

We would take our chances on Kakko and he will be our leading forward for a long time .

Ok so you started off with a ridiculous premise. Odds are the Rangers GM probably doesn't think the same (since no one else does) and can see a sure thing #1 C is safer. You can talk about savings but the peace of mind of having your #1 C long term signed up? Priceless.

I know it's HF so I won't fault you for thinking a mystery box is worth more than an NHL star but in the real world that is rarely the case.

When you hold unusual opinions it stands to reason your GM is not sharing them.

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Loosely translated, Kaapo Kakko means Dirk Diggler in English, that pick isn’t going anywhere.

Over the next 3 years, Kakko will have many more points per dollar than Point so from strictly an asset management perspective, Kakko is who you want in a cruel cap world

Reactions: One Winged Angel

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
Can Kakko drive an nhl line like point now or in the next three years? Never saw the kid play so I'll adhere to you all. Thanks in advance . Great thread.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad