Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Lock this up already. We would never trade Point so it’s useless to have this discussion.

Rangers fans haven’t seen an elite forward in a long time though so I don’t blame them for their ignorance. Let’s hope Kakko can turn into a nice second line winger for you.

Reactions: bigbabybuda

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
This is about the same as the Petterson for #1OA thread... The player is better than the prospect's potential.

Kupo

MAFIA, MOUNT UP!
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Stamford CT
This is about the same as the Petterson for #1OA thread... The player is better than the prospect's potential.

Like the proposal or not, this chestnut here is straight up nonsense considering Kakko’s a higher ranked prospect than what Petersson + Point were when they were drafted.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Like the proposal or not, this chestnut here is straight up nonsense considering Kakko’s a higher ranked prospect than what Petersson + Point were when they were drafted.

If they're 30, it's a different story. Point is 23. Stick with the sure thing.

egelband

Sep 6, 2008
Tampa is going to have a hell of a time signing Point. Point is a young superstar center who plays a great two way game and could really fast track the Ranger’s rebuild. Essentially, this trade would be Brayden Point for Kappo Kakko or unlikely Jack Hughes. Tampa and the Rangers make trades seemingly every single year with eachother.

Would it be worth it for either team? Kakko and Hughes will absolutely be superstars in this league. But, do they have the upside of a Brayden Point? Let me know what you think! I think it’s be a good trade for both teams.
Makes sense if you believe TB can't afford to sign Point. But I'd think they'll find a way.

Shootertooter

Feb 20, 2016
Point is an awesome player but why would the Rangers move the pick for him?
Hughes or Kakko are going to be very good players in their own right. I don't think either will be significantly worse. They will both be under team control for a while and not eligible for the upcoming expansion draft.

Tampa will need to show Point the money and protect him or move on......makes no sense for NY to make that type of move for themselves. I think this is a type of move they would consider once the rebuild is done and they are looking to sign for firepower for a run.

Reactions: Lindberg Cheese

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Oh, what 100+ point player does Kreider play with? Who scored 100 without Kreider having a similar year previously?

It’s very obviously not even close to the same. Kreider has scored 50s for years and doesn’t have a line mate who scores prolifically with or without him.

LOL Read much ? I never said that but you know chemistry is a real thing . Some players are tailor made for their line mates and with out them both would suffer . Try to follow along next time instead of replying to hog wash that I never even said .

You also know 100+ players face the teams best defence . If we are going to discount what they accomplished base on their line mates do we also get an add base on facing the best D ?

Now if I was NYR I would not make the trade base on where they are right now in their rebuild . Also with expansion coming up it an extra player to protect . My only argument here was devaluing a player accomplishments base on his line mates .

ElLeetch

Mar 28, 2018
No thanks. First, TBs players need to show they can win when it counts. Second, While Point is great, hes 3rd fiddle on the team behind Stamkos and Kuch. I don't know if he is still a 90 point player on a team where he has to be the #1 guy and isn't 'protected' by other scoring threats.

Reactions: Mint Berry Crunch

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
LOL Read much ? I never said that but you know chemistry is a real thing . Some players are tailor made for their line mates and with out them both would suffer . Try to follow along next time instead of replying to hog wash that I never even said .

You also know 100+ players face the teams best defence . If we are going to discount what they accomplished base on their line mates do we also get an add base on facing the best D ?

Now if I was NYR I would not make the trade base on where they are right now in their rebuild . Also with expansion coming up it an extra player to protect . My only argument here was devaluing a player accomplishments base on his line mates .
Take it easy with the personal stuff, we’re talking about hockey.

My argument is playing with a 100 pt player inflates ones scoring. You can disagree. I think it’s a very obvious and reasonable argument

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Lol comparing a young established NHL'r to a young teenager who hasn't even been drafted yet. Great logic .

Kakko is slated to be an Elite / Generational talent whereas Point has over achieved based on his predicted ceiling.

I would very happily take my chances on the potential top line elite forward in Kakko.
Sure thing..

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
If Point scores 80 pts at $8 mil, would that’s 1, 2, 3.....$100k per point

If Kakko scores 35 points at $950k, that’s $27k per point.

Kakko is x4 the better asset, right now Point is the better player

smoneil

Jul 14, 2004
Arkansas
I like Tampa. And Point is a great player. But there are four reasons I don't make this trade as a Rangers fan:

1- 90+% of our fanbase weren't even born yet the last time this team had a top two pick. They aren't trading that away, regardless of what's offered in exchange. Beyond the value question, there's the emotional baggage of having gone that long without drafting that high. It's not logical, but it IS real.

2- The salary cap is a thing. Point is about to be VERY expensive VERY soon. By keeping the #2 pick, it allows the Rangers to make a pretty safe bet that Hughes/Kakko will at least be close to what Point is now AND use that money on another high end player.

3- Expansion concerns--Point has to be protected. Hughes/Kakko won't.

4- There's a reason you don't break the bank to trade for players like Point (beyond the fact that he almost certainly isn't available). He's small, doesn't really have the draft pedigree, and plays for a stacked team. Right now, nobody in their right mind would make him available. He's a key cog in TB's attempt to win multiple Cups in the next few years. However, four years ago, everyone said the same thing about the "Triplets." Dominant line. Each player only 21-23 years old. All three putting up nearly a point per game. Fast forward four years, and only one of those players would have been worth an asset like the 2nd overall pick (Kucherov). Johnson and Palat? Still very good players, but who would you rather have--Palat/Johnson or Eichel? I'm not saying that Point will regress the way Palat and Johnson did after 2014/15 (Point's numbers this year were better than ANY of the triplets that year). I just think it's too risky to roll the dice on him being more Kucherov than Palat/Johnson.

Even beyond the rarity of top two picks in Ranger-land, swapping #2 for Point isn't just about the two players. For the Rangers, such a trade involves giving up: the #2 pick, the other top level player that could be acquired with the difference in salary, and losing a better quality depth player in expansion. To give up all of that on the hopes that Point continues on his current pace is just bad asset management.

Ken Lund

Feb 23, 2019
I don't think either team does this. The Rangers are committed to the rebuild and now have the #2 pick in a draft that looks to have two studs. He'll reach his peak with the other draft picks these three years running.
For Tampa, you save cap space and get a great prospect, but to give up a scorer like Point in his prime while they are the top team in the league makes no sense. They might try to add some pieces they feel would help them in the post season but they don't lack "talent" and they'd be giving it up in Point anyway.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Only reason Rangers wouldn't do it is because of possible salary cap reasons. If you can get a chance to lock up a 23 year old two way beast like Point for eight years for your team, you take that without hesitation.

It's a moot point. Tampa will move a lot of other pieces to ensure Point is going nowhere.

Last edited:

Langdon Alger

Apr 19, 2006
No. Point is great but we chose a path and I want us to see it through. No more chasing shiny players and trading away our future.

Point is only 23 and is a proven player. I can see how the Rangers would decline this, but it’s an interesting offer. Kakko likes does not become a 40 goal scorer. Well, maybe he does I don’t know. One advantage to the Rangers keeping the pick is Kakko will be on his ELC contract for three years, and Point will get a lot of money right now. Either way, it’s an interesting idea.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Point is worth a lot more than Kaako.
I agree that Point overall is worth more but Tampa has $12 million to fill out their roster that needs to replace or sign much of their defense, Kaako at $900k could be worth more to a team in cap jail than Point at $9 million. For Tampa to keep Point at least one of Johnson or Palat will have to waive to move on but out of those two only Johnson would be wanted by anyone. So in the end you could be looking at loosing Johnson for a lot less that Kaako just to sign Point.

Last edited:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
I agree that Point overall is worth more but Tampa has $12 million to fill out their roster that needs to replace or sign much of their defense, Kaako at $900k could be worth more to a team in cap jail than Point at $9 million. For Tampa to keep Point at least one of Johnson or Palat will have to waive to move on but out of those two only Johnson would be wanted by anyone. So in the end you could be looking at loosing Johnson for a lot less that Kaako just to sign Point.

Johnson is pretty much useless. Losing him is fine. And we can easily trade Callahan for cap space so it’s not like we actually need to lose any decent players.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Johnson is pretty much useless. Losing him is fine. And we can easily trade Callahan for cap space so it’s not like we actually need to lose any decent players.
LOL, who the hell will take Callahan and his 17 points @$5.8m ?

At least think before you type man.:laugh:

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
LOL, who the hell will take Callahan and his 17 points @$5.8m ?

At least think before you type man.:laugh:

He has one year left. If you are a team with cap space you would be stupid not to take Callahan if we add something like a second round pick to sweeten the deal.

At least think before you type.

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
He has one year left. If you are a team with cap space you would be stupid not to take Callahan if we add something like a second round pick to sweeten the deal.

At least think before you type.
Haha, so now adding a 2nd round pick to a trade makes it easy? personally I think it'll take your 1st pick to trade Callahan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad