Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
Point, Cernak, Foote and one of Raddysh/Katchouk/Lipanov? and make that '19 2d into a first now?
that NYR might consider
Lightning shouldn't, and NYR might still decline

Point has had a great year, just like Namestnikov last season while with TBL skating w Kuch and Stamkos.
Playing with an emerging superstar helps a player produce at his best.
No one knows what Point will be over time, especially once away from Kuch.

worth asking the question, for a couple obvious reasons
- TBL can stay great if they keep rolling in ELC top talent
- as one of sports' greatest GMs used to say "better to trade a guy a year too soon, than a year too late"
Point's value may never be higher -
and TBL are good making the right call - Conacher for Bishop 8^)
To be this disassociated from reason and logic must be the definition of living in bliss.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
You know what's a legitimate concern. Your prospect who has never played in the NHL ever being close to PPG. Taking the unproven commodity, over the proven commodity who is well within your rebuild age just sounds like the absolute definition of HF Boards. All about the shiny new toy, and the one that is only a few years old is not good enough.

I’m not saying Kakko is going to be a better player than Point. You obviously didn’t read anything I said if that’s what you’ve gathered from that post.

Reactions: haveandare

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
But we do know that Point is a 90+ player.
We know he's been a 90+ point player this year while playing with a 120+ point player who scored 100 last year when Point put up 66.

We don't really know he'd be a 90 point player on a team like NYR where there's not much to work with yet outside of the top line.

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
I would take point on detriot over any draft pick. 90 pt 2 way centers are rare. I would take point over kuch or stamkos in the playoffs, dude battles.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
We don't. At worst, Point is a ppg two-way player. In TB, Cooper has the luxury of limiting his minutes, which means no PK time. But before that happened, Point was our best PK forward. A Selke or two is not out of the question for this guy.

TB is in no way interested in trading Point. We would move a third of the roster before we even considered it.

As they shouldn’t be interested in trading him. I know Point is a good player and a good defensive player at that. I’ve seen enough to know that much, at the least.

Let’s just throw a hypothetical out there. Let’s just say Point is just that outside of Tampa, a 70 point two way center. Why should the Rangers trade a player that’s a few years younger and a few years further away from getting a big contract when they’re rebuilding? Of course Point is the better player, but they lose 3 years of ELC control when they’re not expected to compete. There’s no guarantee they get Panarin and/or Karlsson and accelerate things. They don’t need to accelerate the rebuild. They’ll have incredible young depth after this draft (hopefully TBL wins it all and Dallas makes it to the WCF) and they’ll compete for a while. Speeding it up by adding Point at the cost of assets doesn’t make a ton of sense for the Rangers, especially when Kakko/Hughes can be a 70+ point player.

It’s not about valuing potential over proven product, it’s about the state of the team and their window in relation to the players in question. It just isn’t a fit right now for the Rangers. Has nothing to do with shiny new toys as others seem to think.

Stubu

Dec 16, 2015
F.
Lol this is so stupid.
But note, he didn't say potential or upside, he said "potential upside". Kakko's and Hughes' upside is much more potential than Point's; one might even say it's not upside at all any more but proven elite level.

:dunce:

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
Nah, Kakko or Hughes have much more of a potential upside than Point. Also, Point plays with Kucherov, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Still an excellent player, but have to look at all the facts around him.

Oh finally someone else is getting the Draisaitl treatment !!! Yet no one mention these same player have to face the top D of other teams . So maybe their number are lower because you know those top defensemen are tough to play against night in night out .

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
We know he's been a 90+ point player this year while playing with a 120+ point player who scored 100 last year when Point put up 66.

We don't really know he'd be a 90 point player on a team like NYR where there's not much to work with yet outside of the top line.

Can we use this on all players . NYR want to trade Kreider for a high pick . He is a mid 50 point player . Edmonton offers a 2nd for him as we don't know if he will be as good playing with RNH . He may only get 35 or 40 points . Sounds ridiculous doesn't it ?

SML2

Jan 1, 2018
Hfboards. Where the grass is always greener on the other side, but grass seed is even better than green grass.

People in the real world would not propose this from either team.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
Point is better than Kakko
Lol comparing a young established NHL'r to a young teenager who hasn't even been drafted yet. Great logic .

Kakko is slated to be an Elite / Generational talent whereas Point has over achieved based on his predicted ceiling.

I would very happily take my chances on the potential top line elite forward in Kakko.

mm11

Jan 26, 2005
Fleming island, Fl
good thread. Geez I would think the blueshirts do this in a heart beat. Young legit #1 center who already went through his growing pains. Money is stuff the rangers wipe their a@@@@s with.

DarthProbert

Feb 3, 2015
I like this. It helps both teams, it proactively addresses needs for both teams, works all around. But this is hfboards, and you don't trade good players! Only bad contracts and busts. Every single player in the NHL is either untradeable or has negative value.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad