Proposal: Brayden Point to Rangers for the 2nd Overall Pick

cwede

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 1, 2010
Point, Cernak, Foote and one of Raddysh/Katchouk/Lipanov? and make that '19 2d into a first now?
that NYR might consider
Lightning shouldn't, and NYR might still decline

Point has had a great year, just like Namestnikov last season while with TBL skating w Kuch and Stamkos.
Playing with an emerging superstar helps a player produce at his best.
No one knows what Point will be over time, especially once away from Kuch.

worth asking the question, for a couple obvious reasons
- TBL can stay great if they keep rolling in ELC top talent
- as one of sports' greatest GMs used to say "better to trade a guy a year too soon, than a year too late"
Point's value may never be higher -
and TBL are good making the right call - Conacher for Bishop 8^)

Reactions: Leonardo87

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Lol this is so stupid.

Shoo.gif

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yeah, I assume one of those two is gone this summer for an asset (Ristolainen??) and Callahan is gone.

We can't take salary back. Miller probably goes for a draft pick, Callahan probably goes with a draft pick. Alex Barre Boulet might replace Miller, or maybe Alex Volkov or Mitchell Stephens. We have a good crop of rookies. On D, Foote likely makes the team, which leaves just one D slot open. I wouldn't doubt we bring Coburn back at a reduced price.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
The Rangers don’t do this. They’re a rebuilding team. Point is still very young, but the Rangers need young elite ELC talent like Kakko more.
I don’t think you should worry about having An ELC contract/spot when it comes to Point. Worry about that with other players. It’s not like the Rangers are going to be a cap team in a rebuild.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Point, Cernak, Foote and one of Raddysh/Katchouk/Lipanov? and make that '19 2d into a first now?
that NYR might consider

Point has had a great year, just like Namestnikov last season while with TBL skating w Kuch and Stamkos.

- as one of sports' greatest GMs used to say "better to trade a guy a year too soon, than a year too late"

If you're comparing Point to Namestnikov... LOL

We've seen Point put up 30 goals and 60 points without Kucherov or any other star player. And he's taken several steps since then.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
that NYR might consider

Point scored 66 points last season, playing without Kucherov and Stamkos, and then added 16 points in 17 playoff games...

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
But we do know that Point is a 90+ player.

Not bashing Point, but I don’t see him being a 90+ point player in NY with this team. 70, maybe 80 seems realistic to me.

Obviously, that is conjecture on my part, but I have a hard time believing he’d replicate this production without Kucherov, Stamkos and Hedman on that power play and one of Kuch or Stammer at ES and I think it’s only reasonable that Ranger fans would be a little skeptical, considering Tampa’s success.

Honestly, it’s best for both teams to just stay on their paths. Tampa is a young team that can win now (and I obviously hope they do as a Ranger fan) and the Rangers are a rebuilding team. With that said, it’s not bad value at all.

With that being said, Bolts Bandwagon, Rangers South! :laugh::naughty:

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I don’t think you should worry about having An ELC contract/spot when it comes to Point. Worry about that with other players. It’s not like the Rangers are going to be a cap team in a rebuild.

They have to worry. They have to worry about protection spots. That means they might have to expose someone in the expansion draft that they would want to hold onto, because I’m not sure if they have to protect, Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk and Smith, as their contracts expire 7/1/21.

I’d rather have the player I know has a very high ceiling and is expansion draft exempt. That’s also the incentive for Tampa to make this deal. They get a player with an incredibly high ceiling who they won’t have to worry about giving more money to for a bit and he’s expansion draft exempt, thus extending their window.

Leonardo87

New York Rangers, Anaheim Ducks, and TMNT fan.
Sponsor
Dec 8, 2013
New York
And Kucherov plays with Stamkos, so his numbers are inflated, too! Can't forget that they play in front of Hedman, either, who himself plays in front of Vasilevskiy, who plays behind Point!

Listen I am not saying Point can't drive his own line, but do you really think he could put up 90 points on most other teams? Stamkos and Kucherov both had crazy career seasons, and Point was in the middle of that. The chemistry was there, like on the PP. But you move Point to a team with no Stamkos and Kucherov, and maybe only one other elite guy, and does Point hit 90 points? Probably not. Mika Zibanejad put up 74 points on a rebuilding team and saw one of his wingers he had chemistry with traded and another banged up. Rangers just got their 1st ever Top 3 pick, they cannot take risks by trading it away. Even if it's for Brayden Point who is a stud don't get me wrong. But not worth losing a potential top franchise changing player.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
that NYR might consider

Lightning wouldn't even do Point alone for the 2nd OA pick. It's nonsense to think they would then add even more on top of that.

Rangers aren't going to trade 2OA either. Teams just don't do that anymore.

Reactions: One Winged Angel

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Listen I am not saying Point can't drive his own line, but do you really think he could put up 90 points on most other teams? Stamkos and Kucherov both had crazy career seasons, and Point was in the middle of that. The chemistry was there, like on the PP. But you move Point to a team with no Stamkos and Kucherov, and maybe only one other elite guy, and does Point hit 90 points? Probably not. Mika Zibanejad put up 74 points on a rebuilding team and saw one of his wingers he had chemistry with traded and another banged up. Rangers just got their 1st ever Top 3 pick, they cannot take risks by trading it away. Even if it's for Brayden Point who is a stud don't get me wrong. But not worth losing a potential top franchise changing player.

I think Point is better than Sebastian Aho (favorite player from my team) and Aho put up 83 points on Carolina, so yes, I think Point could put up 90 points on other teams. He also faces the toughest competition in TB. Guy is a stud.

No doubt being on a team with a great PP helps, but he's part of the reason they are what they are.

Krewe

Mar 12, 2019
70, maybe 80 seems realistic to me.

Thats still at least a 9-10M player though. PPG Centers that can score 40 are worth alot, just look at Toronto paying 23 mill for two of them!

In other news, this trade could make sense in different context. Lightning want to win and win now, so keeping point makes sense. But if the lightning were worse, and were playing more for the future, it would make some sense as I imagine the rangers offer up prospects in addition to the pick. And LW is the one area where Tampa is weak (Team Line Combinations) besides Gourde and Johnson (who really isnt an elite first liner but is the best we have), so Kakko could be an upgrade there.

This trade would be better for the rangers than the bolts IMO

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
that NYR might consider

2nd over all is not worth that much what are you on

Reactions: MisterT

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Tampa is going to have a hell of a time signing Point. Point is a young superstar center who plays a great two way game and could really fast track the Ranger’s rebuild. Essentially, this trade would be Brayden Point for Kappo Kakko or unlikely Jack Hughes. Tampa and the Rangers make trades seemingly every single year with eachother.

Would it be worth it for either team? Kakko and Hughes will absolutely be superstars in this league. But, do they have the upside of a Brayden Point? Let me know what you think! I think it’s be a good trade for both teams.

TB has like 3 UFA Defensemen that total like $12-13 million. Stralman may re-sign but at a bargain price and they would move Callahan/Miller/Johnson in that order to sign Point. He loves it there and is flexible on term to keep the band together.

Good luck getting TB to give up Point.

It wouldn't make s sense for us, our best chance for the cup is within the coming seasons, trading away Point would reduce those chances.

This is actually not the worst. From TB's perspective, they should avoid this if they can. They have some aging players and they need to do everything they can to keep their talent within their window.

This accelerates the rebuild for the NYR and turns it into more of a retooling. The Rangers lose the value of an elc for more certainty in the type of player they are getting. Not sure if this is something they want to do though. They may be better off spending a couple more years accumulating high end picks.

The Rangers don’t do this. They’re a rebuilding team. Point is still very young, but the Rangers need young elite ELC talent like Kakko more.

all this and some other posts here.

NY prefers 2OA.
TB needs what Point brings now, + he is cheap atm.

Reactions: Boom Boom Apathy

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
Nah, Kakko or Hughes have much more of a potential upside than Point. Also, Point plays with Kucherov, so his numbers are a tad inflated. Still an excellent player, but have to look at all the facts around him.

Kucherov plays with Point which may be inflating Kucherovs stats just a little. If Point was a year from being a UFA and I knew I could not sign him maybe I move him but Not at this stage. Point is 23.
Point is a RFA coming off his ELC contract, who says his next contract has to break the bank?

I fully expect him to sign a bridge contract 2-3 years at something around 5-6M max or longterm for Stamkos money 8.5M. Tampa bridges just about everyone- even Kucherov. Point's only leverage is an offersheet. Will he sign one? Tampa as the cap flexibility of movable contracts to match an offersheet if it comes to that but I doubt it will.

Tampa will tell Point, look we bridge everyone- it is what allows us to ice a competitive team by not paying our guys coming off entry level max dollars. If you want to be part of this team you will take a 2-3 year bridge at 5-6M or the Long term deal at Stamkos like money. We know you can probably sign an offersheet in the $10-12M range and that is your right but if you do that to force our hand be prepared to play for that team as we probably won't match. Now will they match- probably do but can Point take that risk if he wants to be a Bolt for a long time.

Tampa's management team is a tad more experienced than dubie in Toronto, I don't think he signs a contract anywhere near Matthews money.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
They have to worry. They have to worry about protection spots. That means they might have to expose someone in the expansion draft that they would want to hold onto, because I’m not sure if they have to protect, Lundqvist, Staal, Shattenkirk and Smith, as their contracts expire 7/1/21.

I’d rather have the player I know has a very high ceiling and is expansion draft exempt. That’s also the incentive for Tampa to make this deal. They get a player with an incredibly high ceiling who they won’t have to worry about giving more money to for a bit and he’s expansion draft exempt, thus extending their window.
I can understand the expansion exempt part. However I wouldn’t worry to much about anything else. ELC contracts. How much he would make. You would hope that one day that pick could turn into Brayden Point.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
I can understand the expansion exempt part. However I wouldn’t worry to much about anything else. ELC contracts. How much he would make. You would hope that one day that pick could turn into Brayden Point.

I understand that, but on the converse, can point score 90+ in NY?

It’s a legitimate concern.

One Winged Angel

You Can't Escape
May 3, 2006
Long Island
Thats still at least a 9-10M player though. PPG Centers that can score 40 are worth alot, just look at Toronto paying 23 mill for two of them!

In other news, this trade could make sense in different context. Lightning want to win and win now, so keeping point makes sense. But if the lightning were worse, and were playing more for the future, it would make some sense as I imagine the rangers offer up prospects in addition to the pick. And LW is the one area where Tampa is weak (Team Line Combinations) besides Gourde and Johnson (who really isnt an elite first liner but is the best we have), so Kakko could be an upgrade there.

This trade would be better for the rangers than the bolts IMO

Yes, I understand proven product over potential, but you have to add in context there. You have a win now team and a rebuilding team. I’m not saying Point is old or anything, he’s not even close to that, he still technically fits in the Rangers timeframe. With that said, they’re rebuilding, not re-tooling.

Why does Tampa gamble that heavily? Why do the Rangers gamble on Point being close to what he was in Tampa? Both teams take considerable risks and in the end, it’s a deal that I don’t see either team making, although the value isn’t terrible. Could be tweaked.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Yes, I understand proven product over potential, but you have to add in context there. You have a win now team and a rebuilding team. I’m not saying Point is old or anything, he’s not even close to that, he still technically fits in the Rangers timeframe. With that said, they’re rebuilding, not re-tooling.

Why does Tampa gamble that heavily? Why do the Rangers gamble on Point being close to what he was in Tampa? Both teams take considerable risks and in the end, it’s a deal that I don’t see either team making, although the value isn’t terrible. Could be tweaked.

We don't. At worst, Point is a ppg two-way player. In TB, Cooper has the luxury of limiting his minutes, which means no PK time. But before that happened, Point was our best PK forward. A Selke or two is not out of the question for this guy.

TB is in no way interested in trading Point. We would move a third of the roster before we even considered it.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
I understand that, but on the converse, can point score 90+ in NY?

It’s a legitimate concern.
You know what's a legitimate concern. Your prospect who has never played in the NHL ever being close to PPG. Taking the unproven commodity, over the proven commodity who is well within your rebuild age just sounds like the absolute definition of HF Boards. All about the shiny new toy, and the one that is only a few years old is not good enough.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad